UA Flying Withdrawal?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2020, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Most of Spain is open it seems.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
After my first flights this past week after not flying for 5+ months...can't say I miss it. I do miss going to destinations all over the country and the world, but the flying experience? Not a bit. And with the current circumstances, soft product / service is not going to be at a premium anytime soon.
Daze, Dublin_rfk and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Or a similar long weekend shortly thereafter...

Ok, I am going crazy.

Haven't been on a plane for a while, but more to the point I just want 3 or 4 days somewhere warm, with a good pool and a bar (not really a beach fan - too much sand).. has anyone any ideas? I have United points and PP and Marriott points to cover, but want to make sure that wherever Mrs L and I go, the hotel is relatively open.

So... the question is: for a long weekend at the end of July / beginning of August, where to go with UA (points) and a Marriott property? I'm ok with a 12 hour flight to Asia as long as there is saver reward availability, for example, but if there is a Central American location or Caribbean location available, that works great. (Don't care about quarantine coming back to the US.. that is easy :-) )

Would love your thoughts :-)

G
Fly into CNY (UA is the only carrier) and go to Moab, Utah.

There are many fantastic national parks within easy driving distance and they are all open. There are hundreds of miles of hiking and mountain biking trails, hundreds of miles of difficult off-road 4WD trails (you can hire jeeps or ATVs), interesting dinosaur sites, the Colorado River with lots of nice swimming and rafting, many nice hotels and resorts, good dining opportunities, and everything is open. Utah has a low COVID infection rate, but you will still have to wear a mask inside any public areas.

We just spent 9 nights there and had a fantastic time. The hiking trails were pretty empty, especially the further from Moab you go. We hiked and swam for 2 days straight near the junction of the Dolores and Colorado rivers and never saw another person or vehicle-it was truly wonderful. We stayed at the Hoodoo Moab (a Hilton property, site here: https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/cnycuqq-hoodoo-moab/) and they are keeping every second room empty so you have lots of space in the hotel. The pool and jacuzzi are very nice. The restaurant and bar are very good, but there are some really great restaurants in town as well.

It was over 100 every day we were there but, with the low humidity, it felt great!

We hired a flight to Monument Valley one day and it was fantastic, see here:

https://flyredtail.com/airplane-tour...t-valley-tour/

In my opinion, this is the best domestic United destination right now.

Good Luck!
SPN Lifer, nnn and Aussienarelle like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 19, 2020 at 7:29 pm
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM & *A Gold
I miss the thrill of take off. I miss drinking heavily while watching movies. I miss looking out the window. I miss the excitement of landing. And I really miss all the adventures that happen after I land and before I take off again.

Most of all, I miss a change in pace. 22 weeks without a flight - my longest grounding ever - and no end in sight for Americans to go anywhere, even in our own country.

Can we cancel 2020 yet and get a refund? Or at least re-booked to 2021 now?
Old Jul 24, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by wayan
I miss the thrill of take off. I miss drinking heavily while watching movies. I miss looking out the window. I miss the excitement of landing. And I really miss all the adventures that happen after I land and before I take off again.

Most of all, I miss a change in pace. 22 weeks without a flight - my longest grounding ever - and no end in sight for Americans to go anywhere, even in our own country.

Can we cancel 2020 yet and get a refund? Or at least re-booked to 2021 now?
I could have pretty much written this back in mid-May so I get it. I've since flown about six roundtrips, and feel like myself again! I don't know what your personal situation is, but if you can take the risk or spend the money you might find that all you need is to take a trip to anywhere. I was amazed at how good the first flight back felt. :-)
Old Jul 25, 2020, 1:54 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I thought I had a withdrawal but after flying EWR-CDG for the first time and finding everything was depressing and horrible I have 0 excitement of flying again anytime soon !
Old Jul 25, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by benewr
I thought I had a withdrawal but after flying EWR-CDG for the first time and finding everything was depressing and horrible I have 0 excitement of flying again anytime soon!
This is why I don't miss flying as much as I thought I would. it honestly looks depressing and it's not like there's really anywhere for me to vacation. Sterile environment, masks on all the time, no real service most flights, and possible quarantine after arriving. No thanks!

I wouldn't mind the empty terminals, that sounds interesting to experience, but otherwise, it sounds awful.
chavala, findark and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 4:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Most of Spain is open it seems.
yes, but a spike in new cases in Spain has resulted in the UK slapping a 14 day quarantine on anyone entering the UK from Spain.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by UAL250
This is why I don't miss flying as much as I thought I would. it honestly looks depressing and it's not like there's really anywhere for me to vacation. Sterile environment, masks on all the time, no real service most flights, and possible quarantine after arriving. No thanks!

I wouldn't mind the empty terminals, that sounds interesting to experience, but otherwise, it sounds awful.
Life(?) is very slowly returning to the terminals and it's just as surly and impersonal as it was before. One up side is if you're GS or 1K upgrades are pretty much guarantied.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.