Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lox and cream cheese bagels on long haul flight: Ok to bring?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak

I mean booked on UA 7 from IAD to NRT. I saw an Einstein Bagel place in the airport and keep ew that I would enjoy these for lunch. Would these be annoying to other pax?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by steve4031
I mean booked on UA 7 from IAD to NRT. I saw an Einstein Bagel place in the airport and keep ew that I would enjoy these for lunch. Would these be annoying to other pax?
It wouldn't be annoying to me. It's no different in my opinion to people who bring sandwiches/chips/their own food on flights. Props to you for trying to be considerate, although at some point, I would recommend your comfort over strangers.
SFOrunner and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sure, bring it. Can't imagine that it is annoying to anyone.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
I prefer bacon egg and cheese over lox, but to each his own. Anything that isn't going to create an unacceptable amount of flatulence is okay with me.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
It's not like you're bringing a warm egg salad sandwich with a side of kimchi, I say bring it.
trooper likes this.

Last edited by AugustusM; Apr 11, 2018 at 8:17 am
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Bring some for me.
kubrick, Coskigirl and filegumbo like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
To whom it may concern:

The passenger known as Steve4031 has the approval of other fellow travelers on the message board of flyertalk.com to bring, and eat, a bagel with cream cheese and lox on flight UA7. Please note this shall serve as an official approval notice. Failure to adhere may be met with extreme force by over-zealous UA employees, or their representatives.

/s Flyertalk

There. Print that in case somebody gives you trouble.
seanp7, Lori_Q, SFO1974 and 18 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by AugustusM
It's not like you're bringing a warm egg salad sandwich with a side of kimchi, I say bring it.
Even that would be perfectly fine as long as it doesn't rancid. The airlines brought this upon themselves with the cutting of catering in Y.
skimthetrees likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Are you planning to bring a toaster oven with you? It may cross a line, but I could see why you’d need it.
ajGoes and SAPriorityTag like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:41 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Often1
Sure, bring it. Can't imagine that it is annoying to anyone.
Other than being annoying to me if I was sitting next to the OP as I'd be <inserting my Boston accent heah> wkikd jealous
Imstevek and trooper like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I think that your asking shows a lot of consideration for others ^

But I will only add the caveat.... don't go nuts with onions or crazy flavors of cream cheese. And take a sniff of the lox.... if its really pungent, maybe eat before getting on?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I often bring a bagel and cream cheese onboard with me, preferring that to whatever they will be serving. But with the lox the fishy smell could be a problem.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:49 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Jeannietx
I often bring a bagel and cream cheese onboard with me, preferring that to whatever they will be serving. But with the lox the fishy smell could be a problem.
Love lox and cream cheese, but would be concerned about how other pax would react to the smell @:-)

+1 on being considerate ^
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
In the words of Harvey Korman, I hope you brought enough for EVERYBODY?
kale73 and jhayes_1780 like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
(1) always nice to see polite people.
(2) IMHO the smell of lox is very, very little, compared to lots of things people bring on the plane. I doubt anyone would ever notice.
(3) what bugs me is people who bring on bags full of McDonalds food, or something like food from Popeyes that is drenched in fat. The smell is 100x worse than Lox, I can smell it from 3 rows back.

Agree with others, given how low quality the catering is on UA these days, best to take care of yourself.

p.s. Was just on a flight LIH-SFO. Woman in the middle seat guiltily pulled out a begal right after we took off, I pulled out several packets of sushi/sashimi. I won that round.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.