UA Flying Withdrawal?

Old Mar 19, 20, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
UA Flying Withdrawal?

So I stopped flying end of January as my first trip was supposed to be my PVG/HKG quarterly trip. Things starting get strange after that, I only had one flight in February as all my meetings were starting to become virtual, very strange for me. 1 flight in March just 8 days ago, wow how things have changes in just 8 days. Now, I dare not get trapped on the road if a total shutdown happens, which I do not think is out of them realm of possibility. That said, I am not sure if I am going stir crazy being trapped with 3 lovely ladies in my house, or am I simply experiencing withdraw from being in the sky. I find myself having Air Disasters on Smithsonian Channel as my background sound in my home office every afternoon, and even caught myself watching Airplane about 1 am last night, yes it could have been the 5th bottle of wine we polished off, but I assuming that something else is going on. I miss being glared at for trying to board with GS forgetting I am a 1K, The pleasant surprise of an aircraft upgrade to a 788 out of IAD to DEN, cutting through long security lines, or even calling UA for a last minute schedule change (I'll bet they miss me too), also I am having nightmares about overhead bin space in my closet (My Tumi's are suffocating under dust up there) and how fare codes are disappearing in my refrigerator. Worse yet, I have now found I am only drinking hard alcohol from the travel size containers I have collected for the last decade, and without a lime even. I am starting to think this is withdraw, and I suspect I am not alone here. Disclaimer: Yes this is a very serious issue and I wish everyone the best including those who ferry this eclectic group in steel tubes across the skies, but that said, the first day the restrictions are lifted I suspect I am going to have to get on a flight to EWR just to feel normal again, well that and I am still hoping I can make my GS challenge in April.

Anyone else feeling like something is missing in your life right now?
big V, iapetus, SteveHK and 13 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, it has been three days for me and I am already suffering withdrawals.
Live4Upgrade and wxguy like this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 3:48 pm

This is taking some getting used to for me

by this point in the year Iíve already re-qualified at least 1k and have spent nearly $30k on my way to a GS re-qualified.

this year Iíve got $3000 PQD (guess PQP now) on a total of 3 round trip trips.

for the first time in as long as I can remember I donít have a single united booking in my trips and no hotel nights booked.

its great being home. But it is weird and much harder to do my job virtually. I do sadly finding myself missing my 16 hour flights to HKG in my Polaris pod.
Old Mar 19, 20, 3:54 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I'm writing this from the UA IAD-HNL non-stop. 2 more hours to go on a ~11 hour day flight, Certainly getting my fix in.
Plane is a 763, only about ~50 pax on board.

However, was able confirm upgrade space at booking with 20 plus points!
Old Mar 19, 20, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

I'm assuming you will not mind being stuck there for a while? Looks like you are almost there, enjoy, oh and wash your hands regularly.

Last edited by DENflyer3; Mar 19, 20 at 4:14 pm
Old Mar 19, 20, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
EWR-AUS n Tuesday. F was full and the back had about 12 people.

Old Mar 19, 20, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

+5 for the Silvers that got upgrades on that flight!
cur and junglematt like this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 4:24 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Of course by following social distancing rules F passengers were at the greatest risk but the economy passengers really should be spread out more.
Miggles likes this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Should that be in the travel gripe thread or this one? Because it is a very good point!
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
In my case I was next to my wife s I wasn't worried.
Old Mar 19, 20, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
In those circumstances, it would be worth self downgrading.
benewr likes this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 5:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K, UA Gold
who is still flying? i know my business travel is shut down. are people still doing vaca travel?
Old Mar 19, 20, 5:32 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
Of course by following social distancing rules F passengers were at the greatest risk but the economy passengers really should be spread out more.
If I end up flying and I'm not in F, my plan is "board last and to heck with the seat assignment" and plop myself a few rows from anybody.
Old Mar 19, 20, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Life. Marriott T/Life, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond,UA 1K
Have cancelled my 3 China 3 Australian and 2 Europe out to June and was joking that rather than being 1K and Delta Diamond we were all going to be Zoom Gold and Teams platinum. Strange indeed We were wondering what that brings. Early entry to meetings, fresh ground self service coffee but no Stroopwafels
Xyzzy, SS255, jupper and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.5 MM
I'm rarely on the ground an entire month, and now I'm looking at 2 consecutive months - at least. Definitely missing it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: