Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on 787-9 true Polaris and PP version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Threads on other 787 variants:
787-8
787-10

Polaris Seats
- As with Polaris on other planes, odd numbered rows A/L seats are closest to windows and typically provide views
- Even numbered A/L seats are closest to aisle
- Odd numbered D/F seats are best for couples who want to talk - there is a large partition that can be lowered, and the seats are adjacent to each other
- Even numbered D/F seats have a smaller partition and are further apart (on the aisle) but couples can communicate.
- Seats in Rows 1 and 9 have larger/wider footwells

Bassinets
  • Polaris -- 1A, 1L
  • Premium Plus - 20 AB, 20 DEF, 20 JL
  • Economy+ - 30 ABC, 30 DEF, 30 JKL, 44 DEF

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-78p

Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on 787-9 true Polaris and PP version

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2021, 1:51 am

As of now, our choice is between 9DF and 11DF, on a Delhi-Newark flight (changed dates, and these are the only odd numbered middle seats available).
If the main objective is to be able to sleep well, which is the better option?
(11DF - concern is about child(ren) in bassinet(s) in Row 20 crying.
9DF - concern is nearness to lavatory).
Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
While all 789s on domestic routes show the old/regular configuration, I am curious what happens if it is switched to the new layout?
Just pointing out that this is no longer the case. I have an LAX-EWR leg next week on the 789 showing the Polaris configuration; it's been that way since I booked on 1-July. Hoping it doesn't change to an older bird, but even that will likely be fine - we're in row 3.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 3:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Does anyone know if the space in row 30 (Economy Plus bulkhead immediately behind PP) on this configuration is the exact same as the row 16 bulkhead on the non-Polaris configured 787-9?

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 30, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by raghu
As of now, our choice is between 9DF and 11DF, on a Delhi-Newark flight (changed dates, and these are the only odd numbered middle seats available).
Thanks in advance.
Probably too late, but you're guaranteed to have Lav use, but not guaranteed to have a baby. On the other hand, I've never found the lavs to be particularly noisy and the traffic isn't that bad anyway. Assess risk/reward as you wish.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by raghu
Thanks in advance.
Did they switch DEL to a 789 also?

It appears that EWR-BOM on 30 Oct 2021 is getting switched to a 789 from the traditional 77w we have always had...

Now the seatmap shows 12 rows, but a *single* cabin - I wonder why?

I thought there was a bulkhead in between, on the 789...

I flew the 787-10 once to FRA, and that experience was horrible as compared to the 77w!
Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1P MM
Just had my equipment swapped from Version 1 to Version 2. Was in row 18 E+, got moved to 34 E+. What was interesting was that on the seat maps, the Premium Plus rows 20-22 show up as E+, not PremiumPlus. So I grabbed something in row 20 at no cost. On the seat map it certainly seems like it is P+ - there are no B or K seats from 20-22. Did I score a free upgrade?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
A PE seat, yes. An upgrade, not really. You are still seated in Economy and won't get any additional benefits beyond the seat (assuming no more frame swaps).
maver likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Now the seatmap shows 12 rows, but a *single* cabin - I wonder why?

I thought there was a bulkhead in between, on the 789...
The seatmaps on UA.com and the app do not show bulkheads or cabin dividers--every seat appears to be in the same cabin, at least for J. A 12-row J cabin corresponds to the Polaris 789 with P+.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 1:51 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by dkc192
The seatmaps on UA.com and the app do not show bulkheads or cabin dividers--every seat appears to be in the same cabin, at least for J. A 12-row J cabin corresponds to the Polaris 789 with P+.
Yes, that was what was being shown a few days ago - now the 789 (recently switched to the 789 from the 77w) on the EWR-BOM-EWR route is showing the bulkheads and cabin dividers, interestingly... (Edited to Add: Only on the website, not the app - checked again!)

A good thing for sure!

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Oct 14, 2021 at 2:34 pm
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I just grabbed a PZ open seat, 1L. Is that seat good / bad/ same as any other? There are other options , like say 5E. Do any have extra leg room / footwell ? Thx
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
How much narrower are the polaris seats than the 777s? I've only flown the 781 transcon and never this plane in the new config so not sure what to expect. Also does anyone flying this aircraft long haul have any data points on if the crew still lock the windows? Unfortunately, some of my 15 hour/16-hour flights to/from Mumbai on a 77W got downgraded to this plane so was wondering if the crew lock windows or not? Also

Last edited by flyingrohit; Oct 14, 2021 at 4:27 pm
Old Oct 22, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
I could not find answers:
  1. It appears the large lav (2L) is gone ... so is 2R large now (as in a great place to change into pajamas)?
  2. Are 9D and 9F still isolated from galleys/lavs ... and do they have the shelves?
  3. Is there more room now in non-bulkhead seats?
Looking for the best middle pair for a transpac. I always liked row 9 on 78x but wondering if something like 3, 5m or 7 might be quieter.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
So, I just got a message saying due to change of planes I am now in 9L. However, I cannot find which " where to sit " it is as it is not the other one on this page as there is no P+. Want to know if 9L has larger footwell or what seat ( s) are best. Thx

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 26, 2021 at 4:55 pm Reason: Moved to true Polaris 789 thread
Old Oct 26, 2021, 4:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by simonoaks
So, I just got a message saying due to change of planes I am now in 9L. However, I cannot find which " where to sit " it is as it is not the other one on this page as there is no P+. Want to know if 9L has larger footwell or what seat ( s) are best. Thx
Moved your to the correct thread. This is the seatmap for the true Polaris 789 with PremPlus BUT PremPlus is not being sold on this route so those seats are shown as part of E+ (note the missing B & K seats for the first 3 rows)

9L is a standard 787 family Polaris bulkhead seat (with the largest footwell on this aircraft)
drewguy and simonoaks like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Flew in 1L overnight transatlantic a few weeks ago. I found it very comfortable and was able to sleep well for several hours. I did not find the lav traffic/noise to be bothersome, but might be different during a day flight where people tend to be up more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.