Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 788 true Polaris and PP version

Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 788 true Polaris and PP version

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 18, 20, 3:08 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 25, 20, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG

The first new-Polaris bird is flying (ship 3908) so wiki may need an update. First five rows are pretty much like 787-10 I think. Rows 6-7 are in a mini-cabin behind Door 2. 6 is bulkhead (larger foot wells) and straight, 7 is angled.

Rows 20-22 are Premium Plus on this config, also in a mini-cabin.

Not sure yet how far E+ extends, official seatmap is not yet on United’s website.
Old Jan 25, 20, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well it sounds like the Polaris seats on the 787s are nothing to write home about.
Old Aug 18, 20, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Seems like there isn't a dedicated thread for the Polaris configuration of this plane. For those who have flown on that configuration, would you prefer 5L or 2L on a daytime transcon? 5L is missing a window and the only usable window is all the way by the TV/footwell, whereas 2L is less private and angled toward the aisle.
Old Aug 18, 20, 10:43 am

I think I'd pick 5L, although sometimes the FAs use a little cubby next to it, which can make you feel as though someone is looking over your shoulder.
Old Aug 27, 20, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat (21 yrs elite), B9, AA
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
Seems like there isn't a dedicated thread for the Polaris configuration of this plane. For those who have flown on that configuration, would you prefer 5L or 2L on a daytime transcon? 5L is missing a window and the only usable window is all the way by the TV/footwell, whereas 2L is less private and angled toward the aisle.
Flew 5L IAD-SFO yesterday. Private and secluded; the galley behind it was completely unused since there is no longer any actual service in domestic First. Everyone's snack box and drink in a plastic cup came from the forward galley, even for those pax in rows 6&7.

This was my first flight in true Polaris. Overall, not a big fan, at least on this equipment. Pod felt cramped, and I'm just a 5'10" skinny guy. If I were a person of any size, I'd probably choose an angled seat, even if those are less private. They certainly appeared easier to enter/exit and to have a more open feel. Foot well was misaligned with the seat, off center to the right, which I really didn't like. It was also narrow, and felt less tall but I could be wrong about that. Foot well depth was good. No storage "slots' in/around the armrests for tablets, phones, books. The tray table that extends from the TV rather than from beside you was ergonomically challenging for almost any slightly-reclined position. Knees constantly bumping it, making my legs feel trapped.

A number of AVOD features were buggy to the point of useless, causing either a total system reboot or repetitive selection of settings. Audio-video sync problems with one of the TV shows I watched.

Pax in row ahead of me asked for help with the seating controls, and none of the FA's who stopped by knew how to help her. They looked perplexed and then said "they never let us sit in them, so we have no idea how they work." I did like the feature that essentially raises the support for your knees.

Can't confirm definitively, but from what I could see (without looking like a stalker), bulkhead 1L foot well was no different than the others.
Old Aug 27, 20, 7:01 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat current Titanium
Wow. What happened to E+? That’s a terrible ratio of E+ :: E-
Old Aug 27, 20, 7:45 pm

I see the differences vs. old config as follows:

- Good: Direct aisle access in Polaris. Creation of 21 Premium Plus seats.

- Bad: Polaris seat width -1.5” narrower than old config & only 28 front cabin seats vs previously 36. E+/E- are -1” less pitch. Speaking of E+, 18 out of 36 seats are bulkhead fake E+ so in my view only 18 desirable E+ seats. (Undoubtedly a harbinger for the demise of E+.)

The Dreamliner floor plan seems clunky for UA’s new cabins. Wonder if the A350 would work better.

Last edited by AirbusFan2B; Aug 27, 20 at 7:52 pm
Old Aug 27, 20, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by higher_flyer View Post
Flew 5L IAD-SFO yesterday. Private and secluded; the galley behind it was completely unused since there is no longer any actual service in domestic First. Everyone's snack box and drink in a plastic cup came from the forward galley, even for those pax in rows 6&7.

This was my first flight in true Polaris. Overall, not a big fan, at least on this equipment. Pod felt cramped, and I'm just a 5'10" skinny guy. If I were a person of any size, I'd probably choose an angled seat, even if those are less private. They certainly appeared easier to enter/exit and to have a more open feel. Foot well was misaligned with the seat, off center to the right, which I really didn't like. It was also narrow, and felt less tall but I could be wrong about that. Foot well depth was good. No storage "slots' in/around the armrests for tablets, phones, books. The tray table that extends from the TV rather than from beside you was ergonomically challenging for almost any slightly-reclined position. Knees constantly bumping it, making my legs feel trapped.

A number of AVOD features were buggy to the point of useless, causing either a total system reboot or repetitive selection of settings. Audio-video sync problems with one of the TV shows I watched.

Pax in row ahead of me asked for help with the seating controls, and none of the FA's who stopped by knew how to help her. They looked perplexed and then said "they never let us sit in them, so we have no idea how they work." I did like the feature that essentially raises the support for your knees.

Can't confirm definitively, but from what I could see (without looking like a stalker), bulkhead 1L foot well was no different than the others.
Perhaps hard to see on a 'fly-by', but 1L (and 1A, 6L, 6A) footwell is wider than the others.
AirbusFan2B likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: