Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on 787-9 true Polaris and PP version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Threads on other 787 variants:
787-8
787-10

Polaris Seats
- As with Polaris on other planes, odd numbered rows A/L seats are closest to windows and typically provide views
- Even numbered A/L seats are closest to aisle
- Odd numbered D/F seats are best for couples who want to talk - there is a large partition that can be lowered, and the seats are adjacent to each other
- Even numbered D/F seats have a smaller partition and are further apart (on the aisle) but couples can communicate.
- Seats in Rows 1 and 9 have larger/wider footwells

Bassinets
  • Polaris -- 1A, 1L
  • Premium Plus - 20 AB, 20 DEF, 20 JL
  • Economy+ - 30 ABC, 30 DEF, 30 JKL, 44 DEF

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-78p

Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on 787-9 true Polaris and PP version

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
IIRC the LOPA for this aircraft (a more technical interior configuration diagram showing galley cart configurations and exact lav locations) has four lavs at door 3, with two on each side. While not great, this is in line with the pax-to-lav ratio pre-refurb. I'd tend to trust the LOPA over the public-facing UA.com seatmap for details such as this.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by dkc192
IIRC the LOPA for this aircraft (a more technical interior configuration diagram showing galley cart configurations and exact lav locations) has four lavs at door 3, with two on each side. While not great, this is in line with the pax-to-lav ratio pre-refurb. I'd tend to trust the LOPA over the public-facing UA.com seatmap for details such as this.
Not sure I follow your last sentence. Are you saying United is publishing the incorrect seat maps of its own plane on its website?

United’s non-Polarized 787s only have one lavatory on each side of door 3 not two.

I have been on all the United mainline planes except for the Polarized 787, all seat maps shown on United.com are correct in terms of number and locations of galleys and lavatories.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Not sure I follow your last sentence. Are you saying United is publishing the incorrect seat maps of its own plane on its website?

United’s non-Polarized 787s only have one lavatory on each side of door 3 not two.

I have been on all the United mainline planes except for the Polarized 787, all seat maps shown on United.com are correct in terms of number and locations of galleys and lavatories.
The LOPA for the 789 posted on the thepointsguy blog, originally leaked from UA, is below:

It does look like there are two toilets at door 3, which is also designated on UA's seat map as the accessible lav.

To reconcile these, I am guessing they may do something like NH's config, where there is a movable wall in the middle that can allow for accessible / wheelchair / etc use of the whole lav pair, but normally it serves as two lavs.

Aside about UA's seat map they messed up the numbering on row 5/6, so perhaps other things on it could be mislabeled as well.
UA_Flyer and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:20 am

Is it fair to assume that the odd numbered window seats are better (as they don't need any contortions to get in/out) - and row 5 is best avoided due to the lack of a window.

Any preferences to the main cabin (rows 1-8) vs the smaller one (9-12)?
Old Dec 16, 2020, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi
Is it fair to assume that the odd numbered window seats are better (as they don't need any contortions to get in/out) - and row 5 is best avoided due to the lack of a window.

Any preferences to the main cabin (rows 1-8) vs the smaller one (9-12)?
The odd numbered window seats are I think generally the best for solo flyers on any Polaris configuration. However, I would say there is actually more contortion for those than the even row seats, since they are recessed from the aisle and the space to get out is kind of narrow. Are you thinking of another type of contortion?

I also slightly prefer the smaller rear cabin, due to it being smaller, but it's not really significantly different to experience. I would pick row 1 if available over row 9, though, as I just like row 1 for some reason.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
The odd numbered window seats are I think generally the best for solo flyers on any Polaris configuration. However, I would say there is actually more contortion for those than the even row seats, since they are recessed from the aisle and the space to get out is kind of narrow. Are you thinking of another type of contortion?

I also slightly prefer the smaller rear cabin, due to it being smaller, but it's not really significantly different to experience. I would pick row 1 if available over row 9, though, as I just like row 1 for some reason.
Thanks!

The even numbered rows are a bit away from the windows and the little shelf/tray by the window is hard to use. Hoping to avoid both these issues by choosing the odd numbers.

Is it row 5 that is missing a window or two?

UA867 (SFO-DEL) has the new Polaris (1-2-1) for a while now, it seems odd that the return flight (UA 868) is showing the older setup (although this is for travel in Jan)

Last edited by malgudi; Dec 17, 2020 at 1:34 am
Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by malgudi
Also, is it row 5 that is missing a window or two?
Yes, row 5 is missing one window, the one near the passenger's head. There is still one window by the passenger's foot/the TV screen, but it is hard to look out of when seated upright for takeoff and landing.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
While there are some complaints about the Polaris seats being narrow (I'm 6'2, 255 and have no issue with them myself, but I'm yet to fly on a Polaris 772), and recall elsewhere that someone mentioned that UA dropped the ball on this (May have been on the 78J or the Polaris 788 thread). To look at it from a different angle, if the seats were 2" wider, what would we be giving up? There doesn't seem to be any effort to limit the number of E- seats on this plane, and I agree that on a 14 hour flight on this plane, it's PE or better, or stay home.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by fumje

Is the cubby area for your feet larger in row 1 and 9? I currently have row 3 on an upcoming flight but am considering switching to 9L - not fond of being near the lavatory but the increased space may be worth it for sleeping.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Slickw
Is the cubby area for your feet larger in row 1 and 9? I currently have row 3 on an upcoming flight but am considering switching to 9L - not fond of being near the lavatory but the increased space may be worth it for sleeping.
Yes, the foot cubbies in rows 1 and 9 are noticeably larger than those in other rows. 9L (and 1L) are each right behind a lavatory; would suggest 1A or 9A, if available, as they are each behind a closet.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Slickw
Agree with all of the above.

And FWIW, my personal experience is the 1L lav proximity is not bothersome since there is a decent buffer created by the bassinet. But if available 1A/9A are a good choice.
cesco.g likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 9:43 am

SFO-PPT-SFO Premium Plus

Looking to book RT tickets to Tahiti. Seat maps are showing 787-9 with Polaris Upgrade completed and Premium Plus available. We are hoping to book Prem Plus if not to much more than E+. All seatmaps are showing the B/C seats(20C,21C,22C) blocked out on all flights. We want to get 2 of the outboard seats booked and this cuts the options in half if the C seats aren't bookable online. Will calling a TA or United directly help get access to booking those seats? Any known reason why these 3 seats are blocked on every PPT-SFO flight?

P.S. United online seat maps show these seats as "B", SeatGuru labels them as "C". Not sure which is correct. They are the aisle seats on the two outboard seats on the left side of the aircraft.

Last edited by Dbld777; May 8, 2021 at 6:12 pm Reason: Changed seat number letters to "C"
Old May 8, 2021, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Dbld777
Looking to book RT tickets to Tahiti. Seat maps are showing 787-9 with Polaris Upgrade completed and Premium Plus available. We are hoping to book Prem Plus if not to much more than E+. All seatmaps are showing the B seats blocked out on all flights. We want to get 2 of the outboard seats booked and this cuts the options in half if the B seats aren't bookable online. Will calling a TA or United directly help get access to booking those seats? TIA
There are no B seats in P+ on the polarized 789. The aisle pairs are A/C and J/L.

UA 789 v2
Old May 8, 2021, 2:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
789 PremiumPlus is 2-3-2 vs 3-3-3 for regular econ

additional pics in Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience
Old May 9, 2021, 9:13 am

Premium Plus Seats Blocked on the 787-9

Originally Posted by Kacee
There are no B seats in P+ on the polarized 789. The aisle pairs are A/C and J/L.
That may be the problem. On the United website while trying to book, the seat maps for the flights in question, show a 20B, 21B and 22B that are showing blocked out, but no C seating. A mismatch between the choose your seat seatmap and how the plane is actually configured? Even United's own seat maps for the 787-9 show the seats as "C".

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 9, 2021 at 4:48 pm Reason: repaired quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.