Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA forces POS to credit card billing country -- restricts which site/card can be used

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
POS ==> Point of Sale. For UA, this determines pricing, inventory, fare rules, (in some cases - change fees) ....

Originally Posted by emcampbe
united handles point of sale by credit card billing address. So will change the price to the local point of sale, based on billing address. If your CC is Canadian with Canadian address, and you start searching from US site, you’ll get the pricing swotcheroo. Sometimes, it’s not much of a difference. Sometimes it is. There can be different class availability, and exchange rate isn’t necessarily up to date.

Online OTAs should let you bill to whatever card you want, so that’s one solution.
Related threads
Different pricing/fare buckets depending on billing country / point of sale
Price delta between united.com/ United app / second phone? (Guam is billing country?)
Print Wikipost

UA forces POS to credit card billing country -- restricts which site/card can be used

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA's IT is very good at imposing point of sale restrictions. As already suggested, using an OTA is the way around this (but brings with it all the associated issues, including necessity of using the OTA to make changes).
All airlines ‘are good’ at imposing point of sale restrictions. UA just does it differently than most.

Most carriers specify the POS using the departure city (and most price it in that local currency, though not always), then you can use a card from any country to buy it. UA based the POS based on CC billing address. The biggest issue with the way UA does it is the potential switcheroo in prices, though to be fair, the price change can go either way depending on the circumstance (I suspect you’re seeing a biased sample here, because, firstly, FT, but I really mean the folks getting a reduction in price due to their billing address and subsequent POS change probably aren’t going to be coming to a forum to complain). With most carriers defaulting the POS to the departure city, the price doesn’t change because no matter what local country website of the carrier you start at, it changes to the ‘correct’ one as you search, and that price you see is going to be available to you.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Thanks all for weighing in. I played around a bit more. { Paypal with US CC } and { Vietnam address in the UA payment page } didn't help. I might try some more creativity.

Some OTAs show the lower price, others don't. ANA doesn't; I'll keep an eye on it. Does anyone by chance know ANA's cancellation policy?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 8, 2022 at 10:42 am
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
All airlines ‘are good’ at imposing point of sale restrictions. UA just does it differently than most.
That is completely false. My personal list of carriers which did not enforce POS restrictions when purchasing tix on the internet incudes CX, TG, AV, and CM. I'm sure there are many others. So I will reiterate that UA's IT is particularly effective at enforcing these.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:21 am
Suspended

Some airlines use IP geolocation for the purpose of pricing, irrespective of payment method.

A good, cheap VPN (NordVPN is what I use) can really open your eyes to the pricing games.

On ANA and JAL, switching to Indonesia or Thailand as my location with a click of the VPN, consistently results in lower fares than the US site if the flight originates from that region, and sometimes if originating in the US. Prices in local currency. Thankfully the country specific sites allow language selection independently so I can work in English.

Neither my (US) address nor payment method has any impact on pricing.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I did try a Vietnam VPN server in combination with Paypal and Vietnam address, still no help.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by italdesign
I did try a Vietnam VPN server in combination with Paypal and Vietnam address, still no help.
I wonder if you now have a cookie that's telling UA you're US based. You might try a different browser.
italdesign likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by 1P
I ran into a analagous problem trying to book flights found on Google. UA not only updated the price when I tried to use a US credit card, but it would also only give me a basic economy class fare when every window up to the final one had been showing the correct (eight times as large) business class fare that I wanted.

There was no way I could find to make it revert to a business class fare, so I gave up on it in the end and found a different itinerary that didn't have that problem.
Same.

I wonder if you now have a cookie that's telling UA you're US based. You might try a different browser.
Regardless of the vpn used, removed cookies and other country "presentation", at the point where I tried to pay with a US card, itinerary both repriced and quietly turned half of the trip from J to Y (which only became obvious when the ticket was issued). Didn't let me select "pay at the airport in person" either.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 8, 2022 at 1:17 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Point of Sale Inventory differential

i was booking a trip today YYZ-ORD-YYZ; the trip was quoted as $230 USD, I was going to be using a canadian USD corporate card and at the payment page it ended up repricing as CAD ... @ 380 CAD, which is way more than the FX difference.

I ended up re-searching and it looks like with a Canadian PoS the ORD-YYZ was only giving K instead of G.. I was able to force it thru the US PoS and got G/G... great price.... but definitely annoying. I know Canadians are used to getting ripped off by their airlines, but this was an interesting data point for me.
CorSter likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Sometimes it's the other way around.

Other airlines are not as difficult as UA's POS model. For example, I was able to purchase a wholly US domestic itinerary through AA's legacy European POS for more than half less than going through AA's US home page, all without having to use a credit card from a different country or re-jigger my home country. And, got 2.5 days than than the normal 24 hours refund. Ended up having to cancel and made some profit
Old Aug 15, 2022, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is completely false. My personal list of carriers which did not enforce POS restrictions when purchasing tix on the internet incudes CX, TG, AV, and CM. I'm sure there are many others. So I will reiterate that UA's IT is particularly effective at enforcing these.
Not false at all. As I’ve said multiple times in this thread over the years, UA imposes POS restrictions based on CC billing address. Most airlines do not do this, you are correct - they force it based on other requirements. Most, at least IME, impose the POS of the departing airport instead, and you can use the card from any, well, most any, country. You can still get around this by using a local OTA in your country.
Old May 12, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Is there any workaround for this in the last year? I'm looking at a one way from SIN and it is $850 on the Singapore website and 3500 on the US website.
Old May 12, 2023, 9:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Is there any workaround for this in the last year? I'm looking at a one way from SIN and it is $850 on the Singapore website and 3500 on the US website.
A solution is buy via an outlet that does not enforce these POS -- however that means you need to understand the the change / cancellation / credits of the other outlet.
lsquare and dinoscool3 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 12, 2023 at 9:13 am Reason: rephrased
Old May 12, 2023, 2:40 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
A local brick/mortar travel agent in Singapore can take care of this for you and provide the required support in case of any issues.
Old May 13, 2023, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
A local brick/mortar travel agent in Singapore can take care of this for you and provide the required support in case of any issues.
probably an SG-based OTA could do it as well.
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old May 14, 2023, 10:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
probably an SG-based OTA could do it as well.
As a general rule, I would avoid an OTA, especially overseas, if you can find a proper travel agent to handle the booking. Since the agency should be earning a commission on most tickets, there is no need to charge a booking fee. Just shop around. You want someone accessible who can handle problems, rebooking, etc.

The agency GDS will be set to that location, so their fares should match what is online - unless it's a specific online-only webfare, which I've rarely seen on UA, but can be common on CX, SQ, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.