Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA forces POS to credit card billing country -- restricts which site/card can be used

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
POS ==> Point of Sale. For UA, this determines pricing, inventory, fare rules, (in some cases - change fees) ....

Originally Posted by emcampbe
united handles point of sale by credit card billing address. So will change the price to the local point of sale, based on billing address. If your CC is Canadian with Canadian address, and you start searching from US site, you’ll get the pricing swotcheroo. Sometimes, it’s not much of a difference. Sometimes it is. There can be different class availability, and exchange rate isn’t necessarily up to date.

Online OTAs should let you bill to whatever card you want, so that’s one solution.
Related threads
Different pricing/fare buckets depending on billing country / point of sale
Price delta between united.com/ United app / second phone? (Guam is billing country?)
Print Wikipost

UA forces POS to credit card billing country -- restricts which site/card can be used

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA-Perma Plat, Hyatt-Sucks, HHonors - Dia., Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Maybe it's just my browser, but whenever I try that trick it would error out on me at booking and tell me to call United.
Does your US card have a US billing address?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by GeoMedic
Does your US card have a US billing address?
It doesn't but I'm sure you can understand my frustration with having a USD card booking to a US carrier then being dinged 2.5% for the convenience of converting my greenback to CAD.

-James
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:57 pm

Maybe it's just my browser, but whenever I try that trick it would error out on me at booking and tell me to call United.
That is what I get as well. I have also tried the website, but get the same error. I don't have a UA member profile though, I wonder if that would make a difference.

Originally Posted by emcampbe

dont know how recent you are talking about, but $1336CAD today = $1033 USD per XE. .ca prices in CAD. So actually, that’s a savings. IME, and granted I stopped checking the Canadian website a long time ago, because at least for the typical transborder flights I usually book, prices in CAD on .ca and USD on .com typically had been very close factoring in exchange, and in same fare class, indicating a small exchange rate difference. Depending on the day, sometimes ,ca was slightly better, sometimes .com. Booking with my US card is usually better for me, so I almost always do that.

As I said, different POS sometimes have different availability, which is what would cause a price difference.
Both prices were in CAD (it pre-authorized on the CC at one point), I should have taken a screenshot of my CC statement and both sites were using the same fare class. This is a frequent occurrence and not a one off.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 29, 2018 at 11:22 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by skipness1E
Perhaps I am being thick.
I have paid American, Delta and Southwest thousands of dollars all in as they take my UK credit card, but United’s own app only allows paymernt with a payment card based in the US of A?

How is this an issue in 2018? Are direct sales not what UA want?
I've found that United is inconsistent (huh! what's new?) when it comes to non-USA cards.

I have -for the last few years- successfully charged a Chinese Credit Card in USD and inputting its information with a USA billing address.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC

It doesn't but I'm sure you can understand my frustration with having a USD card booking to a US carrier then being dinged 2.5% for the convenience of converting my greenback to CAD.

-James
FWIW,
They don’t actually verify the billing address. I’ve successfully used my EU billed cards with a US address on UA and switched the billing address on checkout page countless times between the local currency address and US address without changing the card.

or if you call in to ticket they’ll accept any US billing address you give them.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 29, 2018 at 11:23 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by mdbe

FWIW,
They don’t actually verify the billing address. I’ve successfully used my EU billed cards with a US address on UA and switched the billing address on checkout page countless times between the local currency address and US address without changing the card.
Cool, will try that next time. Worth a shot.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:49 pm

Non US billing address, wanting to book on united.com

Hi all and thank you in advance for the assistance.

I currently live in the UK and am trying to book a flight from SF to Papeete on united.com. The US website shows a significantly lower fair then if I was to book from the uk version of the site. I tried to fair lock it online and when it didn't let me do this I called the hotline number and secured it with them. I made sure to tell them I was residing in the UK and the card I used to pay for the fair lock was indeed a UK card. I am now worried that I will have problems paying the fair once I go on the website as when I click through to the purchase now button the billing address country is US (with no option to amend this for this reservation). Does anyone know if it is possible to pay on united.com if I do not have a US billing address (again when speaking to them I was clear I was not in US), if I pay through paypall, will it surpass this problem and will the money go through fine? Do I need to forward the money to a US friend and use their CC details?

Thank you so much!

Anat
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
You will be able to pay for it, no problem. At the US price, well no.

When you check out, and provide your billing address and use UK from the drop down, it will reload the page on the UK site, at the prevailing UK rate. That’s how UA works - it directs you to the point of sale based on the card billing address. This is different than most other airlines, who when you do a search, direct you to the POS of the departing city.

The PayPal option mayor may not work - I’ve never tried. Another potential option is to call and do it - they should be able to ticket it as is with your UK card. Yet another option is to use a US OTA like Orbitz, Expedia, etc. who should be able to take an international-based card.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
AFAIK there is no AVS check, and you can "fake" the billing address to a US one.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, anatlc!

United will always charge you based on your billing address. And credit card companies in general are getting more serious about address checks, so I don't recommend using a fake address. We have a credit card with two addresses on it (primary and mailing address) and we're even gotten charges declined when using the mailing address.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
I’m Guam based and I have had success selecting the pay at a city ticketing office option in order to hold the reservation for at least 24 hours, then calling united to pay for it with a credit card. When I tried paying for the reservation online, it cancelled the reservation when it noticed the discrepancy in billing address. I called the web support desk and they were able to reinstate the reservation and took my Guam based credit card.

Additionally, maybe as a last resort, have you considered buying secondhand electronic travel certificates from an electronic marketplace like eBay?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Why do you need to buy this on united.com? Just use a non-online US travel agent to handle the transaction, the credit card billing address has no bearing whatsoever.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:17 am

Thank you everyone for your really helpful comments. I just dealt with the payment now, to update, paypal will not work as you need a US billing address still (it cancelled my reservation) but as suggested, I phoned and they were able to process a non US card through the call centre. So this seems to be the most useful method.

Thanks again! Anat
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Cannot buy airfare from United (Canada) with USD credit card?

So I was trying to purchase airfare from United's Canadian website with my credit card (USD) and United won't let me proceed with it. The reason why I want to do that is because there is about a $10 difference after currency conversion. When I put in my billing information and click "purchase", United would stop processing the transaction and tells me that they have updated the pricing to reflect the billing information that I had entered. Anyone here experienced this before? Now I know it's only $10, but money doesn't grow on trees...
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
well-know problem. Search is your friend.

Your solution is likely https://www.expedia.ca/ or similar OTAs which will process your reservation in CAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.