Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ½ for 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
05April 2020
MileagePlus Status Extended Until 2022

Throughout these unprecedented times, we remain committed to doing what is right and fair for all of our MileagePlus members and are pleased to share the steps we are taking to reciprocate the trust and loyalty that you have placed in United. These steps include not only Premier status updates, but also an extension of current memberships and subscriptions. The updates will happen automatically over the next few weeks — there's nothing you need to do.

The big news: If you have current 2020 Premier status, it will be extended to January 31, 2022. At a minimum, you will enjoy the same published status next year that you have today, up to Premier 1K®.

We're reducing the 2020 Premier qualifying points (PQP) and flight requirements for all tiers by 50%. You'll still need a minimum of four flight segments on United or United Express®.

We're also doubling PQP for United Explorer cards and quadrupling PQP for the United Club cards.

At the same time that we're decreasing the published program's PQP requirements, via a promotion from May 1 – December 31, 2020, we're doubling (for United Explorer cards) or quadrupling (for United Club cards) the maximum number of PQP that Cardmembers can earn during 2020 to help achieve a higher level of status than you already have.

1K® and Platinum members, we're increasing your ability to upgrade by extending PlusPoints expiration dates by six months and expanding Skip Waitlist.
  • This means a six-month extension of any PlusPoints set to expire on or before January 31, 2021.
  • Last year we introduced Skip Waitlist on select flights as a benefit to 1K members, giving you more opportunities to confirm an upgrade request at the time of booking. This benefit will now be available for the rest of 2020 in a significantly expanded selection of long-haul international regions and will have expanded availability in 2021 as well.
We're extending all annual membership and subscription benefits by six months.
  • We want to make sure your benefits are still there when you're ready to start flying again. That's why we're extending purchased United Club℠ memberships and purchased subscriptions for Economy Plus®, United Wi-Fi℠ and checked bags by six months. You should see this reflected in your MileagePlus account soon.
All electronic travel certificates now have 24 months to be used.
  • If your travel plans have been disrupted, and you have an electronic travel certificate from us for the value of your ticket, you now have two years from the date it was issued to book a new flight, as well as up to an additional 11 months to travel. This includes all currently valid and all new electronic travel certificates issued on or after April 1, 2020.
We have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.
Finally, we'll be making it easier to earn status in 2021 for the 2022 program year. We recognize that getting back to travel will occur at a different pace for different members. Keep an eye out for changes we will make to help you earn status in 2021 for 2022, as we'll share details later this year.

Over the years, you have placed your trust and loyalty in United, and we are honored to do the same for you. We are all in this together.

Status extension to January 31, 2022, applies to all members that met the published criteria of the MileagePlus program in 2019, status associated with the United/Marriott RewardsPlus program and status offered as part of a Sales nomination. Status granted from other programs and policies may not apply.
FAQ
With extended status. will we automatically get additional PlusPoints in 2021 (40 for Plats and 280 for 1KsGS?

No, your existing PlusPoints will be extended 6 months but to get additional 2021 PlusPoints you will need to meet the reduced thresholds for 2020

[5 April 2020] Status extended 1 year - United Hub
- Status extended 1 year (expires 1/31/22)
- Plus Points extended 6 months
- Lower qualifying thresholds to gain 2021 status in 2020 (about 50%)

[5 April 2020] United will extend Premier status for 12 months (SF Gate):
United will announce on Sunday that it is extending elite status to MileagePlus Premier members through 2021 and members will retain their current status through January 2022. This follows a similar move by Delta Air Lines on April 4 to extend SkyMiles Medallion elite status to 2021.

A United spokesperson has confirmed this to SFGATE, adding: "We are also going to help both general members and members who want to reach the next status level by lowering thresholds for Premier Qualifying Points (PQP’s) for the 2021 status year."

In addition to the elite status extension, United will extend all its annual subscription options by six months, including United Club memberships, wi-fi, checked bags and EconomyPlus, according to the spokesperson.
-------------

[7 March 2020] A message to our Premier members (email):
At this time, we are not planning any changes for our 2021 Premier program but we will continue to evaluate our options as we learn more about how the current climate is affecting members' activity. In the interim though, we do plan to give members who are participating in a MileagePlus 2020 Premier Status Match Challenge promotion an additional 30 days to complete their challenge. This extension will automatically be reflected in member accounts within the next week.
-------------
Originally Posted by Sykes
There's a good (but not exhaustive) crowdsourced list of company travel restrictions here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...bWhYFM/preview .....
Originally Posted by Fims
Hey there!

As true loyalty is best tested in challenging times, I did a bit of research on how different airlines and hotel programmes have responded:
  • 74 airline loyalty responses (status, miles expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
  • 18 hotel loyalty responses (status, points expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
The full outcome is freely available at https://bit.ly/loyalty-response-covid19

Feel free to comment that Google Sheets file and if you have some better insights, let me know (I used only what was available on English-speaking websites and some blog posts I could find, showing emails from the programmes). ....

Print Wikipost

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ½ for 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
I read the PP will be extended 6 more months in terms of expiration - does this mean:

exp 4/30/2020 will become exp 10/30/2020
exp 1/30/2021 will become exp 7/30/2021

am I correct or I read sth wrong?

thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:12 pm

Is anyone here upset that UA is giving away the farm here? I am platinum (switched back to DL due to the changes in Nov) but can be 1k again for a year and half with one partner flight.

Does that seem fair?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
Is anyone here upset that UA is giving away the farm here? I am platinum (switched back to DL due to the changes in Nov) but can be 1k again for a year and half with one partner flight.

Does that seem fair?
Well, you still need four UA segments, but if you can get 12K PQP from one partner flight, go for it.
(Although, in that case, two partner flights would have gotten you 24K PQP, so I don't know why you would have changed away...)
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Remind me again what were the original PQP levels?

And what is this "higher PQP goal" all about?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Remind me again what were the original PQP levels?

And what is this "higher PQP goal" all about?
Everything is 50% (approximately).

The 'higher PQP goal' was if you didn't fly more than 12/24/36/54 PQF (now 6/12/18/26 PQF).
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Was Silver last year. From flying this far this year, I was just shy of Gold in the old qualifying criteria. These changes result in me having already hit Platinum. If I fly at all for the remainder of the year, 1k should be easy.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tommys888
I read the PP will be extended 6 more months in terms of expiration - does this mean:

exp 4/30/2020 will become exp 10/30/2020
exp 1/30/2021 will become exp 7/30/2021

am I correct or I read sth wrong?

thanks!
That's correct. Anything PlusPoints expiring on or before 1/31/2021 get extended by 6 months.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:11 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
How is the cc PQP earning going to work? Are they just going to double the limit or are they going to double the earning rate?
Double the limit of PQP earned (still 1k / 24k spend) NOT DOUBLE THE RATE OF PQP EARN
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:47 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by cfischer
so they need to address the new +P question now. Too bad they neglected to address this at all.

It is still listed as: After meeting the requirements for Premier 1K, members earn 20 PlusPoints for every 3,000 PQP beyond 18,000 PQP.

Now, the requirements are no longer 18k PQP but rather 9k PQP. I am currently at 13k PQP so should I get 280 +Ps now? Then another 20 +Ps? because it is 3k beyond the current limit? Or will we get 280 +Ps at 9k and then more once we get beyond 18k?

If this is answered somewhere ... please post!
That's correct, Premier 1K members will continue to receive 20 PlusPoints for every 3,000 PQPs accrued beyond 18,000 PQPs. This ability to earn an unlimited amount of PlusPoints is a benefit exclusive to MileagePlus; and, since we have reduced qualification thresholds in 2020 by 50% for all tiers up to Premier 1K, you'll get 320 PlusPoints after earning just 26 PQFs & 9,000 PQPs - or 12,000 PQPs outright. That's 40 PlusPoints upon qualifying for Premier Platinum, plus an additional 280 for reaching Premier 1K.

Although we are lowering our Premier status thresholds by 50% for 2020, we aren’t also lowering our thresholds for incremental PlusPoints because our six month extension of PlusPoints validity coupled with this would negatively impact all Premiers’ ability to receive an upgrade using PlusPoints.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
So this means although 1K carries through to 2021, and the PlusPoints earned in 2019 expiring Jan 2021 now expire July 2021....if you want a new fresh batch of PlusPoints expiring Jan 2022 you need to meet the new lower PQP/PQF 1K qualifying markers in 2020. You don’t get them simply by having the 2019 earned 1K status extended a year.

Correct?

<setting aside the Platinum level plus points for a moment, but it’s basically the same question >
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
So this means although 1K carries through to 2021, and the PlusPoints earned in 2019 expiring Jan 2021 now expire July 2021....if you want a new fresh batch of PlusPoints expiring Jan 2022 you need to meet the new lower PQP/PQF 1K qualifying markers in 2020. You don’t get them simply by having the 2019 earned 1K status extended a year.

Correct?
Not at all. I think UAInsider is addressing incremental plus point earning over $18,000 pqd.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bmw303
Not at all. I think UAInsider is addressing incremental plus point earning over $18,000 pqd.
Right and earning is unlimited

My question is if I don’t fly at all in 2020 will I get a fresh set of 320 plus points end of this year that expire Jan 2022, given my 1K status lives another year. Or not?

I don’t have any issue but just want to confirm.

Way I read Insider’s post:

You must hit 9K PQP (or 12k pqp without hitting pqf) to get new batch of 320 PPs

then there is a pause (no new PPs) until after 18k where you earn 20 for every 3K PQP.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
My question is if I don’t fly at all in 2020 will I get a fresh set of 320 plus points end of this year that expire Jan 2022, given my 1K status lives another year. Or not?

At this time, the conventional interpretation has been that you will not get a fresh set of 320 points that expire in 01/2022, unless you meet the 9k PQP + 26 PQF or 12k PQP criteria.

You must hit 9K PQP (or 12k pqp without hitting pqf) to get new batch of 320 PPs

then there is a pause (no new PPs) until after 18k where you earn 20 for every 3K PQP.
This aligns with how I have interpreted their post and all the official comms from UA regarding this matter.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Right and earning is unlimited

I agree, that is how I interpret UA Insider's post too
Old Apr 6, 2020, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...My question is if I don’t fly at all in 2020 will I get a fresh set of 320 plus points end of this year that expire Jan 2022, given my 1K status lives another year. Or not?...
Most likely not. Think of it as an extension of current status (which has already been awarded its PPs), not a re-qualification. If you do accumulate the requisite PQPs and PQFs in 2020 for a normal re-qualification (not resting on just an extension), you would get the PPs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.