Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ½ for 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
05April 2020
MileagePlus Status Extended Until 2022

Throughout these unprecedented times, we remain committed to doing what is right and fair for all of our MileagePlus members and are pleased to share the steps we are taking to reciprocate the trust and loyalty that you have placed in United. These steps include not only Premier status updates, but also an extension of current memberships and subscriptions. The updates will happen automatically over the next few weeks — there's nothing you need to do.

The big news: If you have current 2020 Premier status, it will be extended to January 31, 2022. At a minimum, you will enjoy the same published status next year that you have today, up to Premier 1K®.

We're reducing the 2020 Premier qualifying points (PQP) and flight requirements for all tiers by 50%. You'll still need a minimum of four flight segments on United or United Express®.

We're also doubling PQP for United Explorer cards and quadrupling PQP for the United Club cards.

At the same time that we're decreasing the published program's PQP requirements, via a promotion from May 1 – December 31, 2020, we're doubling (for United Explorer cards) or quadrupling (for United Club cards) the maximum number of PQP that Cardmembers can earn during 2020 to help achieve a higher level of status than you already have.

1K® and Platinum members, we're increasing your ability to upgrade by extending PlusPoints expiration dates by six months and expanding Skip Waitlist.
  • This means a six-month extension of any PlusPoints set to expire on or before January 31, 2021.
  • Last year we introduced Skip Waitlist on select flights as a benefit to 1K members, giving you more opportunities to confirm an upgrade request at the time of booking. This benefit will now be available for the rest of 2020 in a significantly expanded selection of long-haul international regions and will have expanded availability in 2021 as well.
We're extending all annual membership and subscription benefits by six months.
  • We want to make sure your benefits are still there when you're ready to start flying again. That's why we're extending purchased United Club℠ memberships and purchased subscriptions for Economy Plus®, United Wi-Fi℠ and checked bags by six months. You should see this reflected in your MileagePlus account soon.
All electronic travel certificates now have 24 months to be used.
  • If your travel plans have been disrupted, and you have an electronic travel certificate from us for the value of your ticket, you now have two years from the date it was issued to book a new flight, as well as up to an additional 11 months to travel. This includes all currently valid and all new electronic travel certificates issued on or after April 1, 2020.
We have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.
Finally, we'll be making it easier to earn status in 2021 for the 2022 program year. We recognize that getting back to travel will occur at a different pace for different members. Keep an eye out for changes we will make to help you earn status in 2021 for 2022, as we'll share details later this year.

Over the years, you have placed your trust and loyalty in United, and we are honored to do the same for you. We are all in this together.

Status extension to January 31, 2022, applies to all members that met the published criteria of the MileagePlus program in 2019, status associated with the United/Marriott RewardsPlus program and status offered as part of a Sales nomination. Status granted from other programs and policies may not apply.
FAQ
With extended status. will we automatically get additional PlusPoints in 2021 (40 for Plats and 280 for 1KsGS?

No, your existing PlusPoints will be extended 6 months but to get additional 2021 PlusPoints you will need to meet the reduced thresholds for 2020

[5 April 2020] Status extended 1 year - United Hub
- Status extended 1 year (expires 1/31/22)
- Plus Points extended 6 months
- Lower qualifying thresholds to gain 2021 status in 2020 (about 50%)

[5 April 2020] United will extend Premier status for 12 months (SF Gate):
United will announce on Sunday that it is extending elite status to MileagePlus Premier members through 2021 and members will retain their current status through January 2022. This follows a similar move by Delta Air Lines on April 4 to extend SkyMiles Medallion elite status to 2021.

A United spokesperson has confirmed this to SFGATE, adding: "We are also going to help both general members and members who want to reach the next status level by lowering thresholds for Premier Qualifying Points (PQP’s) for the 2021 status year."

In addition to the elite status extension, United will extend all its annual subscription options by six months, including United Club memberships, wi-fi, checked bags and EconomyPlus, according to the spokesperson.
-------------

[7 March 2020] A message to our Premier members (email):
At this time, we are not planning any changes for our 2021 Premier program but we will continue to evaluate our options as we learn more about how the current climate is affecting members' activity. In the interim though, we do plan to give members who are participating in a MileagePlus 2020 Premier Status Match Challenge promotion an additional 30 days to complete their challenge. This extension will automatically be reflected in member accounts within the next week.
-------------
Originally Posted by Sykes
There's a good (but not exhaustive) crowdsourced list of company travel restrictions here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...bWhYFM/preview .....
Originally Posted by Fims
Hey there!

As true loyalty is best tested in challenging times, I did a bit of research on how different airlines and hotel programmes have responded:
  • 74 airline loyalty responses (status, miles expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
  • 18 hotel loyalty responses (status, points expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
The full outcome is freely available at https://bit.ly/loyalty-response-covid19

Feel free to comment that Google Sheets file and if you have some better insights, let me know (I used only what was available on English-speaking websites and some blog posts I could find, showing emails from the programmes). ....

Print Wikipost

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ½ for 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
IME, right now is an awful time to fly. It's both scary and depressing. Getting upgraded just makes it slightly less unpleasant.
+1. I'm looking to fly up front next month and am not looking forward to it. Saw an article that Delta told its pilots not to tell its FAs if infected. How is anyone supposed to know whether an FA or all the people that walk past your seat in C haven't just sprayed your seat with aerolyzed viral particles? I'd rather just not fly...
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by gokeeper
So that means you will earn 320 PlusPoints for flying 12K PQP this year, I may going to do it if travel pick up in Sep/Oct. Very disappointed PlusPoints are only extended for 6 months.
And only $9,000 PQP if you do 26 PQF. And those new PlusPoints would last until 1/31/2022.
cawhite likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC

Lots of details from a United for Business email I got:

We're making some key changes to the MileagePlus program for you

Throughout these unprecedented times, we remain committed to doing what is right and fair for all of our MileagePlus members and are pleased to share the steps we are taking to reciprocate the trust and loyalty that you have placed in United. These steps include not only Premier status updates, but also an extension of current memberships and subscriptions. The updates will happen automatically over the next few weeks — there’s nothing you need to do.

The big news: If you have current 2020 Premier status, it will be extended to January 31, 2022. At a minimum, you will enjoy the same published status next year that you have today, up to Premier 1K®.

We’re reducing the 2020 Premier qualifying points (PQP) and flight requirements for all tiers by 50%. You’ll still need a minimum of four flight segments on United or United Express®.

We’re also doubling PQP for United Explorer cards and quadrupling PQP for the United Club cards.
  • At the same time that we’re decreasing the published program’s PQP requirements, via a promotion from May 1 – December 31, 2020, we’re doubling (for United Explorer cards) or quadrupling (for United Club cards) the maximum number of PQP that Cardmembers can earn during 2020 to help achieve a higher level of status than you already have.
1K® and Platinum members, we’re increasing your ability to upgrade by extending PlusPoints expiration dates by six months and expanding Skip Waitlist.
  • This means a six-month extension of any PlusPoints set to expire on or before January 31, 2021.
  • Last year we introduced Skip Waitlist on select flights as a benefit to 1K members, giving you more opportunities to confirm an upgrade request at the time of booking. This benefit will now be available for the rest of 2020 in a significantly expanded selection of long-haul international regions and will have expanded availability in 2021 as well.
We’re extending all annual membership and subscription benefits by six months.
  • We want to make sure your benefits are still there when you're ready to start flying again. That's why we're extending purchased United Club℠ memberships and purchased subscriptions for Economy Plus®, United Wi-Fi℠ and checked bags by six months. You should see this reflected in your MileagePlus account soon.
  • If your travel plans have been disrupted, and you have an electronic travel certificate from us for the value of your ticket, you now have two years from the date it was issued to book a new flight, as well as up to an additional 11 months to travel. This includes all currently valid and all new electronic travel certificates issued on or after April 1, 2020.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.
Finally, we’ll be making it easier to earn status in 2021 for the 2022 program year. We recognize that getting back to travel will occur at a different pace for different members. Keep an eye out for changes we will make to help you earn status in 2021 for 2022, as we’ll share details later this year.

Over the years, you have placed your trust and loyalty in United, and we are honored to do the same for you. We are all in this together.

Status extension to January 31, 2022, applies to all members that met the published criteria of the MileagePlus program in 2019, status associated with the United/Marriott RewardsPlus program and status offered as part of a Sales nomination. Status granted from other programs and policies may not apply.
SPN Lifer and FriendlySkies like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by SteveHK

Lots of details from a United for Business email I got:

We're making some key changes to the MileagePlus program for you

Throughout these unprecedented times, we remain committed to doing what is right and fair for all of our MileagePlus members and are pleased to share the steps we are taking to reciprocate the trust and loyalty that you have placed in United. These steps include not only Premier status updates, but also an extension of current memberships and subscriptions. The updates will happen automatically over the next few weeks — there’s nothing you need to do.

We’re reducing the 2020 Premier qualifying points (PQP) and flight requirements for all tiers by 50%. You’ll still need a minimum of four flight segments on United or United Express®.

We’re also doubling PQP for United Explorer cards and quadrupling PQP for the United Club cards.
  • At the same time that we’re decreasing the published program’s PQP requirements, via a promotion from May 1 – December 31, 2020, we’re doubling (for United Explorer cards) or quadrupling (for United Club cards) the maximum number of PQP that Cardmembers can earn during 2020 to help achieve a higher level of status than you already have.
1K® and Platinum members, we’re increasing your ability to upgrade by extending PlusPoints expiration dates by six months and expanding Skip Waitlist.
We’re extending all annual membership and subscription benefits by six months.
Finally, we’ll be making it easier to earn status in 2021 for the 2022 program year. We recognize that getting back to travel will occur at a different pace for different members. Keep an eye out for changes we will make to help you earn status in 2021 for 2022, as we’ll share details later this year.

Yep, all of this is in Post #808
ALGU likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Given past practice for UA soft landings, UA million miler, and NZ’s recent status extension for their elites, I’m anticipating that at the start of the new year UA will indeed load an additional 40/320 PP for all 2021 Plt/1k members, even if the new thresholds aren’t met. Believe the new reduced status thresholds will be needed only for Premiers interested jumping into or up a level.
You may be right, but until / unless they make such an announcement, I'll be planning to achieve the PQPs if I want the PlusPoints.
SPN Lifer and seanp7 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Only time will tell if this was a good move, but of course all three had to move pretty much in lock step.

For me, I'm 900 PQP or 5 PQF away from an "earned" 1K for 2021 - which I presume comes with the regular quota of Plus Points. Although we, like many companies, are slashing travel for the year because of the way revenues are getting crushed, if it's safe to fly, then I'll hit that target. If it's not safe to fly by the end of the year, UA will be reducing the target further anyway.

What this boils down to is I'm going to have at least 720 Plus Points for the first half of 2021, with 400 of them needing to be used up in that period. Lot of SFO-SEA confirmed in the front in my future.

The 24 month ETC expiration is a nice touch.
greg99 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
So I guess the big question now is whether UA will roll over 2020's PQF / PQP to 2022 qualification?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:53 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
And only $9,000 PQP if you do 26 PQF. And those new PlusPoints would last until 1/31/2022.
Originally Posted by gokeeper
I don't think they will give out any extra PlusPoints with the extension. And yes 1ks will out of PlusPoints in 2H21, unless they earn12k PQP this year.
FYI they did announce a six (6) month extension of all PlusPoints set to expire on or before JAN 31 2021. Those who still have extended 80 PlusPoints from JAN 2020 or earn a new tranche in 2020 are looking at a SEP 2020 and JUL 2021 expiry date respectively.
Originally Posted by jp12687
Really? My company is looking to suspend all travel this year due to budget reasons. Most companies will be in the same boat. We are projecting losing 33% of our yearly revenue. All travel will be scrutinized this year.
Sorry to hear that - suspect your company is not the only one to be doing so.
Originally Posted by jsloan
You may be right, but until / unless they make such an announcement, I'll be planning to achieve the PQPs if I want the PlusPoints.
Put me down as well. $9k works and I'm already about $1.9k in so far.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Currently at 6500 PQP and 15 PQS, might not be a bad idea to earn 2500 PQP & 11 PQS in 2 trips.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by kevflyer
So I guess the big question now is whether UA will roll over 2020's PQF / PQP to 2022 qualification?
Doubt it for both. Specifically regarding PQP, does anyone in the industry allow its members to roll over spend over the threshold? Certainly no US-based FFPs.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My take on the UA changes is the following:

More 1Ks in 2021 as the threshold for Platinums and Golds to hit 1K this year, assuming flying is restored by end of summer, is doable.
Current 1Ks get rather limited benefits from this, aside from retaining their status in 2021 and an extra 6 months on upgrade points

If UA wanted to incentivize me to fly THIS year vs waiting for next year, they should have copied Delta's well thought out approach which basically comes down to counting two years as one, so I had incentive to fly throughout the next 24 months vs kicking back and saying "no need to fly extra this year because the PQF is wasted with my bonus year status, I'll just wait for January 2021".

Of course Kirby probably thought that was too customer friendly, rather than being a good business decision.
greg99, gokeeper and gcashin like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA GS
I’m a bit worried about this part:

I earned 1K for 6 years straight and then had my first kid, which caused me to miss a bunch of travel. With my 2019 flying I qualified for gold and narrowly missed platinum (for 2020 status). Since I was a 1K at the time united very generously extended my 1K status through 2020 (they have a policy to do so for Maternity/paternity or medical disability). I am hopeful I would be eligible for the further extension but realize I might not based on that language. Does anybody have any insight? Of course my flying has taken a severe hit this year due to company policy changes as well as the aforementioned kid.

I’m also concerned that if the extension does not apply to me, that the system might not recognize that I would have been gold without the extension, and drop me to GM.

I’m sure these answers will be known in time... but since I’m grounded there’s a lot to think about!!
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
26 PQF and 9,000 PQP or 12,000 PQP for 1k, I have already made it ! I am looking forward to the additional Plus Points to be deposit into my account.
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Doubt it for both. Specifically regarding PQP, does anyone in the industry allow its members to roll over spend over the threshold? Certainly no US-based FFPs.
So assuming things don't change, those who are not looking to level up, ie already have 1K status, and just want to maintain their status for the 2022 program year, any PQF / PQP earned this year is meaningless?
rankourabu likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
My take on the UA changes is the following:
If UA wanted to incentivize me to fly THIS year vs waiting for next year, they should have copied Delta's well thought out approach which basically comes down to counting two years as one, so I had incentive to fly throughout the next 24 months vs kicking back and saying "no need to fly extra this year because the PQF is wasted with my bonus year status, I'll just wait for January 2021".
I don't agree - I have my status on UA this year... next year... and likely in 2022. I have no status on DL or AA. Why would I want to go fly on those guys with no status the second half of this year for a shot at low/mid tier status on them in 2021? If anything, UA's makes more sense. If I'm an average traveler and going to be traveling the second half of this year, why wouldn't I fly UA and have an effective fast track to 2021 status than get half that status for all of next year just for the roll over?
SFOdelayed likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.