Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broken Layflat on EWR-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Doesn't have jurisdiction
Yes it does. The state courts have jursidcition over breach of contract claims, which are not preempted by the ADA.

There was a memorable thread a few years back about an FTer who took UA to small claims court. UA settled right before the hearing.
Lifetimenotelite likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes it does. The state courts have jursidcition over breach of contract claims, which are not preempted by the ADA.
I'm sure TPG and all the other sites would encourage people to go this route if indeed it worked. Regardless, I don't see a breach. bolding is mine below

“Class of service” in this Contract of Carriage refers to classes of service as determined by UA without regard to the specific level of ancillary services or amenities provided in that class of service (as compared to any originally scheduled flight). Any ancillary service or amenity, including but not limited to live television, wi-fi services, priority boarding, advance seat assignments, and meal service, are not guaranteed. Regardless of whether there is a Schedule Change, Irregular Operations, Force Majeure Event, or other change or circumstance that results in an ancillary service or amenity not being available on any flight, UA shall have no liability for, and shall owe no refund with respect to any failure to provide that amenity or ancillary service. EXCEPTION: If a Passenger has paid for a specific ancillary service or amenity in advance of the flight as a separate fee specifically designated for such ancillary service or amenity and that ancillary service or amenity is not provided, the Passenger is eligible for a refund of the amount paid if a refund request is made within 90 days of the date the fee was originally paid or the flight date, whichever is later. UA is not liable to refund this fee otherwise eligible for refund if the request is received after that time.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm sure TPG and all the other sites would encourage people to go this route if indeed it worked. Regardless, I don't see a breach. bolding is mine below

“Class of service” in this Contract of Carriage refers to classes of service as determined by UA without regard to the specific level of ancillary services or amenities provided in that class of service (as compared to any originally scheduled flight). Any ancillary service or amenity, including but not limited to live television, wi-fi services, priority boarding, advance seat assignments, and meal service, are not guaranteed. Regardless of whether there is a Schedule Change, Irregular Operations, Force Majeure Event, or other change or circumstance that results in an ancillary service or amenity not being available on any flight, UA shall have no liability for, and shall owe no refund with respect to any failure to provide that amenity or ancillary service. EXCEPTION: If a Passenger has paid for a specific ancillary service or amenity in advance of the flight as a separate fee specifically designated for such ancillary service or amenity and that ancillary service or amenity is not provided, the Passenger is eligible for a refund of the amount paid if a refund request is made within 90 days of the date the fee was originally paid or the flight date, whichever is later. UA is not liable to refund this fee otherwise eligible for refund if the request is received after that time.
Seating configuration is not an "ancillary service." Rather, as I pointed out above, a change in seating configuration constitutes IRROPS under CoC Rule 24(B)(7) warranting a free change or refund.

I'm not saying a small claims action will succeed. But it is not preempted and it's not a totally outlandish suggestion.
Miggles and canadiancow like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA

So based on this language, "including but not limited to..." United can claim anything is an ancillary service. There must be a definition of ancillary service somewhere in the Contract of Carriage. Implicit/vague language opens the door for litigation.
Miggles likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Seating configuration is not an "ancillary service." Rather, as I pointed out above, a change in seating configuration constitutes IRROPS under CoC Rule 24(B)(7) warranting a free change or refund.
Which, presumably - he could have asked for a free change or refund had the broken seat been known before takeoff. Since he has not come back to the thread, looks like we will never know more details.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
But it isn’t.

Here’s a thought experiment for you. UA operates three-class 781s from EWR-SFO. On those planes, if someone told you that your J seat was broken, and offered you $300 either to (a) sit in the same seat, or (b) change to PE, which really is just a regular domestic first class seat, which would you choose?

Personally, I’d keep J 100 times out of 100.
Im mostly a Long haul flyer. On the TCON my singular mission is to lay that see flat and zonk out.

Not sure how much you actually fly but on the return from Asia and taking that final TCON to BOS I may be 24 or more hours since departing the hotel.

That walking dead feeling is only helped by actually sleeping. The seat is a big deal it’s not just semantics.
Xyzzy and Miggles like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally I would take a PE seat that reclined over a lie-flat seat that did not.

If the lie-flat seat reclined partially I'd take it. But if it was no recline at all I'd take the PE.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
However, my other point is that none of this should matter. I absolutely do not want UA to take what you paid into account, because that leads the way to all sorts of things -- involuntary downgrades with no comp: "sorry, you were on an upgrade / sorry, you were on a P fare, and Y is more expensive," IRROPS based upon fare: "Sorry, we have to wait for G availability, because you bought a G fare. You can fly two weeks from Saturday," etc.

Whatever the compensation is for a broken seat, IMO, should have absolutely nothing to do with what the fare cost.
agree with all of the above, as adopting a compensation regime based on fare paid is a really bad idea. That said, what UA offered in this case was so low as to almost be an insult.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
agree with all of the above, as adopting a compensation regime based on fare paid is a really bad idea. That said, what UA offered in this case was so low as to almost be an insult.
I view this less as compensation and more as a partial refund, so I think it should be tied to what you paid. If you pay for something and you don't get it, you get a refund.

In this case you paid for a bundle of things and only got some of them. So you get a partial refund. The question is, how much of the price you paid is allocated to the part you didn't get.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I view this less as compensation and more as a partial refund, so I think it should be tied to what you paid. If you pay for something and you don't get it, you get a refund.
I am gratified that UA doesn't agree with you.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Personally I would take a PE seat that reclined over a lie-flat seat that did not.

If the lie-flat seat reclined partially I'd take it. But if it was no recline at all I'd take the PE.
Same. And at least as recently as abt a year ago, was provided $1000 ETC for downgrade of PS flight from lie-flat 752 to recliner 753. $300 ETC for lie-flat seat that won't recline AT ALL seems low. I also agree that reasonable compensation AS A UA BUSINESS DECISION in this instance has ZERO to do with what the pax paid for the seat, whether it was an award ticket, or an upgrade. What it might have to do with, however, is the status of the pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.