Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broken Layflat on EWR-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:23 am
J S

Originally Posted by warakorn
This story reminds me of that Youtuber who got assigned a broken lie-flat seat aboard a UA SFO-LIH Boeing 757-200 flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHsSUW2eJj8
Watched the video. Two thoughts:
1) He was absolutely right: they se hould not have upgraded 2 pax into F while keeping the paid and booked pax in an inoperable seat.
2) They compensated him with $200 which seems fair since his far was <$500 for a three leg trip and he only had issues on one of three legs (one of two long legs).

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Remaining flights today for EWR-SFO are showing as $1709 in F.
But OP didn't fly *today*. Look, unless we have some evidence that OP lied when he said he paid $3k for his ticket on his flight on his date, then it seems a bit much to be questioning his truthfulness.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 18, 2020 at 11:02 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by J S
But OP didn't fly *today*. Look, unless we have some evidence that OP lied when he said he paid $3k for his ticket on his flight on his date, then it seems a bit much to be questioning his truthfulness.
I didn’t say the OP lied or was even incorrect. I stated a fact.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:32 am

some thoughts:
airline should refund the ticket IMO
any compensation below $1k is laughable
i have done some overnight flights and had a full day of business meetings starting the second i walked off the plane (teleconference while enroute to offices)
not being able to sleep could ruin things
the only time i pay for first class is when i need to sleep, i usually dont care about any of the other benefits
that said, perhaps next time, as soon as you board the flight, and find the broken seat, evaluate whether you should disembark and let them put you on a different flight?

Last edited by mysterym; Feb 19, 2020 at 11:06 am
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
UA clearly advertises a lie flat seat for this product. In fact they show it in the fully flat position:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-services.html

"Stretch out in a premium flat-bed seat"

This cannot be clearer. They are advertising a seat that turns into a lie flat bed. They did not provide what's advertised. They owe a significant partial refund to the OP. Not $300 voucher. Ridiculous.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Let's see. That adds up $3000, the price of the ticket. No money is left as the value of getting point A to point B. According to your math, UA should have set up a working lie-flat seat and provided meals/drinks seat in the departure lounge and the OP could've saved 5 hours. Also, I'm pretty sure $3000 was a r.t. fare - OP's seat didn't work on one flight.
That's fair. Let's say point A->B round trip is $300, so $2700 round trip was paid for the premium. If we assume the OP's fare was r/t (big assumption), that means $1350 premium each way, or $450 by my 1/3rd's math for the lie flat. So that, again assuming the OP's fare was r/t, i the bare minimum he should expect. And in the form of refund, not voucher. And frankly, UA should pay a premium to that for not offering what was advertised last minute without notice. I don't think it's fair business practice to advertise X, then offer Y with no notice and just say, here's the difference back. The OP counted on X, was not warned he'd get only Y, and so a premium to the $450 should be paid...in cash.
IAH-OIL-TRASH likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 18, 2020 at 11:04 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member; discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Remaining flights today for EWR-SFO are showing as $1709 in F.
That as maybe but you still have no idea exactly what the fare paid by the OP was.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
That's fair. Let's say point A->B round trip is $300, so $2700 round trip was paid for the premium.
Your numbers are way, way, way, way off. In fact, there were almost certainly some people in Y who paid more than some people in J. Would you give the discount J passenger a negative refund if their seat was broken?

People in this thread have been fixed on the expense of the ticket and are equating it to the value of the seat. The seat is worth about $300, and that's not just me saying so: that's what they regularly sell them for when they have extra seats available during check-in. The $3000 is for a seat -- probably the last seat -- on a particular flight, without any advance notice.

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
I don't think it's fair business practice to advertise X, then offer Y with no notice and just say, here's the difference back. The OP counted on X, was not warned he'd get only Y, and so a premium to the $450 should be paid...in cash.
When you start an airline, that sounds like a great practice. I hope your seats function well, or you'll go bankrupt.

In the meantime, when you buy a United ticket, you agree to their contract of carriage, even if you never take the time to read it.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Remember the FT rules
12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
Some discussion in this thread has focused on the posters and not the issue under discussion. Post have been edited or deleted that violate the FT Rules.

Discuss the issue as posts in violation of the rules will be deleted.

Remember FT is a place for civil, respectful and collegial discussion.
Discuss the issue, agree disagree, even vigorously disagree, bring a new viewpoint, BUT do not attack other posters.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 18, 2020 at 11:24 am
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Your numbers are way, way, way, way off. In fact, there were almost certainly some people in Y who paid more than some people in J. Would you give the discount J passenger a negative refund if their seat was broken?

People in this thread have been fixed on the expense of the ticket and are equating it to the value of the seat. The seat is worth about $300, and that's not just me saying so: that's what they regularly sell them for when they have extra seats available during check-in. The $3000 is for a seat -- probably the last seat -- on a particular flight, without any advance notice.

When you start an airline, that sounds like a great practice. I hope your seats function well, or you'll go bankrupt.

In the meantime, when you buy a United ticket, you agree to their contract of carriage, even if you never take the time to read it.
The OP has not been suitably compensated for the failure of the airline to provide a seat in working order.
wrp96, Kacee and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
The OP has not been suitably compensated for the failure of the airline to provide a seat in working order.
What is lost in the discussion is United is not obligated to give any compensation - thus anything given is above and beyond, and by definition, goodwill.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
What is lost in the discussion is United is not obligated to give any compensation - thus anything given is above and beyond, and by definition, goodwill.
so where is the line drawn? Should we just accept whatever the company (and I'm not talking about just UA here) deigns to dole out?
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
so where is the line drawn? Should we just accept whatever the company (and I'm not talking about just UA here) deigns to dole out?
The recourse is if it makes them that upset is to fly another carrier moving forward. Or, post on FT. Those are the options.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
There was some discussion of doing a chargeback upthread. I’ve been flying UA for 25 years. In the past, whenever I’ve bought something from them they didn’t deliver on, I’d give them one chance to fix it, if they didn’t I filed a chargeback. It’s worked 100% of the time and I’ve probably had to do this maybe 3 times in 25 years. It’s been a while since I’ve read the CoC but doesn’t the ticket cost just pay for UA to get you from. Point A to point B ? I was under the impression seats are never guaranteed. There’s been a couple of times I paid for the premium cabin but got stuck in E+ but I just always accepted what UA gave me because of the CoC.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by n198ua
I was under the impression seats are never guaranteed. There’s been a couple of times I paid for the premium cabin but got stuck in E+ but I just always accepted what UA gave me because of the CoC.
Actually, CoC Rule 24 defines change in seating configuration as IRROPS warranting a free change, so UA does recognize that different seating configurations (i.e., lie flat vs. recliner) are material to the passenger's purchasing decision.
I didn’t say the OP lied or was even incorrect. I stated a fact.
Of no relevance to OP's experience.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The recourse is if it makes them that upset is to fly another carrier moving forward. Or, post on FT. Those are the options.
So the consumer takes it in the trousers. Great.

And the company has zero incentive to do better next time as there is no repercussion.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So the consumer takes it in the trousers. Great.

And the company has zero incentive to do better next time as there is no repercussion.
Well that kind of is UA's position these days - take it or leave.

So what you're getting in this thread is basically the company line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.