Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2020, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dkc192
To each their own...but I for one care mostly about the hard product, especially in J, and I suspect I'm not alone here. I care more about the soft product in F.
You have other choices for a comparable seat assuming the nonsense with no lounges or inflight service continues at United - other airlines within *A are still providing a decent service offering, so why would you give UA any money for what is dumbed-down coach service for rapidly escalating business prices? I don't see why anyone would give United their money for business class when you could fly ANA or BR or SQ or LH or OZ, etc etc. Depending on your departure point you may or may not get a lounge, but once onboard you'll have a similar seat (NH/OZ/BR/SQ) and definitely a better inflight experience.
Dyce likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Could the meals be better? Would a full service drink cart make a better flight? Having Polaris Lounge open be enhancing the total travel experience?
Yes! Yes, and Yes!

Is it up to United to have all those things read? Yes, but Covid-19 is under control until borders are open to Americans, there is not enough scale of passenger volume to restore those amenity and services. I just read SQ will also reduce its premium cabin meal services too, but others such as LH plans to keep the pre Covid-19 meal services.

I am just hoping I get to travel first and then figure out which airlines offer the flights. No point to pick an airlines that offers a good meals and my favorite bourbon whisky but don't fly to the places I want to go or the countries won't let me in. I have to travel to make a living, so need to put up with the low quality meal offerings.
st3, kirkwoodj and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I am just hoping I get to travel first and then figure out which airlines offer the flights. No point to pick an airlines that offers a good meals and my favorite bourbon whisky but don't fly to the places I want to go or the countries won't let me in. I have to travel to make a living, so need to put up with the low quality meal offerings.
We should not have to pay the cost of the amenities that we do not receive. Polaris is a product & it is still on the market. However some other product is being substituted with no apology, little explanation and no compensation.

A well composed announcement with a full explanation of their situation, COVID implications, and how they intend to FULLY restore services might help.
cesco.g, UA_Flyer, rch4u and 10 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Could the meals be better? Would a full service drink cart make a better flight? Having Polaris Lounge open be enhancing the total travel experience?
Yes! Yes, and Yes!

Is it up to United to have all those things read? Yes, but Covid-19 is under control until borders are open to Americans, there is not enough scale of passenger volume to restore those amenity and services. I just read SQ will also reduce its premium cabin meal services too, but others such as LH plans to keep the pre Covid-19 meal services.

This is why, once I start flying TATL again, I will be flying on LH metal using a UA ticket.
EWR764, Dyce and Plane-is-home like this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
A well composed announcement with a full explanation of their situation, COVID implications, and how they intend to FULLY restore services might help.
So, you mean pretty much the exact OPPOSITE of what is happening right now: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...t/polaris.html

"Restaurant-quality dining
We're proud to offer United Polaris customers a chef-designed, multi-course inflight dining experience.

<snip>

For those mid-flight cravings, we offer à la carte snacks that you can enjoy at your convenience."
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA
Glad to see those ice cubes (economy bread roll) got upgraded to the premium cabin. You could use one of those to keep your drinks cold.
st530 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Anyone else addicted to these? Especially the apple pies and cheesecales. Just can't ever get enough of it. Midflight I probably consume at least 5-6 of each (not good on health of course, but proper exercise and food habits otherwise can always offset )
The pies and cheesecake bites are all made by Eli's Cheesecake. They sell full size (excellent) cheesecakes to regular consumers, but the mini pies and little cheesecake bites are just for wholesale. Mini pies come in apple, cherry, pumpkin, pecan and apparently dulce de leche (I haven't had that one though).

If you want a case of the apple pies ... https://www.foodservicedirect.com/el...-21200319.html or, you can get apple and cherry pies, brownie bites, and a full size cheesecake in their Dessert Buffet Tower: https://shop.elicheesecake.com/produ...t-buffet-tower
PTahCha likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by jewree
The pies and cheesecake bites are all made by Eli's Cheesecake. They sell full size (excellent) cheesecakes to regular consumers, but the mini pies and little cheesecake bites are just for wholesale. Mini pies come in apple, cherry, pumpkin, pecan and apparently dulce de leche (I haven't had that one though).

If you want a case of the apple pies ... https://www.foodservicedirect.com/el...-21200319.html or, you can get apple and cherry pies, brownie bites, and a full size cheesecake in their Dessert Buffet Tower: https://shop.elicheesecake.com/produ...t-buffet-tower
costco sells the mini Eli’s cheese cakes
onthesam likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
This is why, once I start flying TATL again, I will be flying on LH metal using a UA ticket.
For about twice the price in J as on LH.com, at least based on a sampling from IAH I did earlier this week for July travel dates. In fact, you can get IAH-FRA-IAH in F on LH.com in July for around $5 K, while J on UA.com for the same flights is priced at around $7 K. (Who knows if these flights will actually take place -- this pricing was for the non-stops.)
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by halls120
Why would you use a UA ticket? You can earn more credit with LH, aside from the fact it's much cheaper - or are you talking about a mileage ticket?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by jewree

Wow! Had no idea, and going to these sites (first link doesn't work btw), I see the desserts that I've seen over the years on UA metal. Interesting to see. Do they have locations at each hub? Most to all my UA flights are out of LAX, and some out of EWR, and I've seen these even ex-LAX/EWR.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
Well, that didn't take long... there are, however, certain minimum service standards in the JV, since revenue is shared among carriers. The member airlines of course have a fair amount of discretion but there is a basic framework.

Believe it or not, one reason LH upgraded its business class bedding a year or two ago was to bring it more in line with Polaris.
So United is going to bring their current inflight "meals" in line with LH's current offerings?

Why can't United offer mini bottles of decent wines instead of the current gut rot? Make no mistake, the reductions are about cost not safety.
AeRoSpaceman and AndyInSaigon like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by worldtrav
So United is going to bring their current inflight "meals" in line with LH's current offerings?

Why can't United offer mini bottles of decent wines instead of the current gut rot? Make no mistake, the reductions are about cost not safety.
Believe me, I am under no delusions that these changes have anything at all to do with safety. If food service were a vector for transmission, I suspect that would have manifest rather prominently on the ground first, and it hasn't. Meal delivery and customer interaction with masks are also low-risk behavior. The current situation is temporary, but I fear the "revised" long-term catering guidelines may ultimately be an even worse downgrade. The LH announcement gives me some hope, but if there's one thing I've learned in the COVID-19 era, it's that nobody really knows anything.

There's a difference between calling out an airline for shameless cost cutting during times of record profit, and calling out a company for shameless cost cutting during times of record losses. At least United is consistent in its approach!
AndyInSaigon likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Back to the point above about how poorly UA communicate around topics like this, I was struck by LH’s clear communication around the modified services, and a timeline “through August 31, 2020”. Sure, it could shift, but much clearer. Note also that F has the “usual service”, but is eliminating the on-demand part of the menu to manage galley sanitation. Makes sense.

https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/curr...board-services
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Why would you use a UA ticket? You can earn more credit with LH, aside from the fact it's much cheaper - or are you talking about a mileage ticket?
The flights I have been pricing are just about the same whether the ticket is LH or UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.