Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bocastephen
... sundae is a tiny fraction of what it once was....
I think this was largely FA dependent. I always ask for all the toppings. I've gotten sundaes where there was so much ice cream, there was barely room for any toppings. I've gotten sundaes where it looked like more toppings than ice cream.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Menu and dishes TPE SFO Feb 16. Food tasted great but serving size of everything was by far wholly inadequate. Not sure why FT keeps uploading my photos upside down

Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: united
Menu and dishes TPE SFO Feb 16. Food tasted great but serving size of everything was by far wholly inadequate. Not sure why FT keeps uploading my photos upside down

Those are very standard serving sizes and all told that is a LOT of food.
​​​​​​
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dilanesp
​​​​​​
I agree - I can't imagine an average person could eat all that food - I'm confused by the inadequate serving size comment.....
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I agree - I can't imagine an average person could eat all that food - I'm confused by the inadequate serving size comment.....
Competition on these routes serves more variety and quantity of food and drink, we have seen that on the other thread. That is the discussion to have. The app and main On the dinner definitely do not match up what NH, SQ, and I’d wager BR has on offer

And those weren’t served all in one meal, it is one at the beginning, a cup of soup midflight and another meal, mostly fruit, 8-9 hours after the first meal.
AeRoSpaceman, IndyHoosier and oopl like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by eng3
I think this was largely FA dependent. I always ask for all the toppings. I've gotten sundaes where there was so much ice cream, there was barely room for any toppings. I've gotten sundaes where it looked like more toppings than ice cream.
Isn't the ice cream pre-portioned by catering? I don't think they are scooping ice cream into the bowls in the galley.

Not FA dependent....Bean-counter/spreadsheet dependent.
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I did ask if the grilled cheese or any of the hot bites were available but the FA said no, the flight was too short (UA901 SFO-LHR). So there goes that.

Last edited by djmp; Feb 17, 2020 at 2:37 pm
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by djmp
I did ask if the grilled cheese or any of the hot bites were available but the FA said no, the flight was too short (UA901 SFO-LHR). So there goes that.
That seems bizarre, because they serve hot bites on EWR-LHR, at least as of January.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djmp
Sometimes they just don't know where they are.

Airborne MOLA, essentially.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by fumje
Sometimes they just don't know where they are.

Airborne MOLA, essentially.
Gone from the printed menu too. “Enhanced away”?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
you can’t tell from the photos, but the servings were very small, especially the appetizer which was literally a tablespoon of tuna salad. The beef cheek was sliced into 4 thin pieces. This is a 12 hour flight and the food was inadequate, and substantially smaller than pre-Kirby Polaris and less than what is served on competing airlines.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you can’t tell from the photos, but the servings were very small, especially the appetizer which was literally a tablespoon of tuna salad. The beef cheek was sliced into 4 thin pieces. This is a 12 hour flight and the food was inadequate, and substantially smaller than pre-Kirby Polaris and less than what is served on competing airlines.
Totally agree. IMHO, it's not the amount of food totaling all the dishes which is relevant. In true premium cabin dining each dish should be adequate in quantity, as many pax prefer just a selection of all the items served.
Example: on TATL Westbound morning departures I do not want cheese&crackers and ice cream sundaes, but instead prefer a good-sized breakfast/brunch main dishes.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:39 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Totally agree. IMHO, it's not the amount of food totaling all the dishes which is relevant. In true premium cabin dining each dish should be adequate in quantity, as many pax prefer just a selection of all the items served.
Example: on TATL Westbound morning departures I do not want cheese&crackers and ice cream sundaes, but instead prefer a good-sized breakfast/brunch main dishes.
It's worth noting there are counter-arguments. A philosophy that says "we are going to serve large servings of each of several courses" is going to lead to a lot of wasted food. Now, I would be inclined to favor "book the cook" and allowing larger portions to be ordered in advance, but as long as the airline doesn't do that, you don't want to be throwing out tons of good food if you don't need to. Especially in an industry that already disposes of a lot of uneaten food.

​​​​
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Smaller portions, same old menu, lower quality ingredients and below par presentation and preparation. They are all there to be seen by most of the frequent UA flyers who have been flying United and in this forum for a long time.

Most of the long time UA flyers don’t become critical of UA all the sudden. The loyal flyers would like UA to do well and compete, rather than playing the role of being a UA apologist.
oopl likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:24 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
It's worth noting there are counter-arguments. A philosophy that says "we are going to serve large servings of each of several courses" is going to lead to a lot of wasted food.
​​​​
For every person wanting massive portions - there are likely just as many, like myself, prefer to not see massive portions and wasted food. We can agree to disagree - but massive portions have no place on a airplane. If you are that hungry, they will grab you more food whether it be biz or economy. Nobody starves in Business

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.