Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buying Individual Bulk Fares Directly from United / United Vacations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Individual Bulk Fares Directly from United / United Vacations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hi there, when you select your flight you will see Bulk or Published as a the fare type on the United Vacations website. Be aware, as I just just found out, that cancelling a ticket with United Vacations DOES come with penalties/change fees even though United advertises they eliminated them. United Vacations has advised me that there is a $100 fee per ticket for cancellations assessed by them which they MAY waive if you book something else immediately. However, they also charge a $250 fee that is assessed by United. United has told me they charge the $250 for cancellation and refund of a bulk ticket. The issue is, as a bulk ticket, you cannot get the value refunded directly to you nor can you cancel the ticket through United.

I have sent endless emails to United Vacations about this before I book any other trips and here is the reply I got today when I asked about fare rules and fees:

Thank you for contacting United Vacations.
Hope you are doing well, safe and healthy.

We apologize for the delay in response and appreciate your patience.

Please be informed that we have reviewed your reservation and Our vacation deals are packaged rates for leisure travel enjoyment only. The price for the flight and the hotel is a combined package rate; therefore, we are unable to offer you an itemized list of individual prices. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Please let us know for any further assistance, We look forward to the opportunity to assist you.

Last edited by Micp3208; Jun 21, 2021 at 10:49 am Reason: Clarified my wording.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Micp3208
Hi there, when you select your flight you will see Bulk or Published as a the fare type on the United Vacations website. Be aware, as I just just found out, that cancelling a ticket with United Vacations DOES come with penalties/change fees even though United advertises they eliminated them. United Vacations has advised me that there is a $100 fee per ticket for cancellations assessed by them which they MAY waive if you book something else immediately. However, they also charge a $250 fee that is assessed by United. United has told me they charge the $250 for cancellation and refund of a bulk ticket. The issue is, as a bulk ticket, you cannot get the value refunded directly to you nor can you cancel the ticket through United.
Cancellation (refund) fees have never been included in the "no change fees" waivers; UA simply hasn't been very verbose about that. And, there are generally very strict limits on what changes can be made to bulk tickets.

This is an important cautionary tale for anyone who is looking into bulk tickets for the first time -- there's a reason you're getting a discount. They often have very strict rules about when they apply and how they can be used: that's the trade-off you're making.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:08 pm

Correct, cancellation/refund fees are real — but while United says there are no change fees even to bulk tickets, with the consolidator like United Vacations, there is no way to recover just the value of the ticket which means a change is actually a cancel if you are not re-booking right away. Even calling them to find out they cannot clearly explain it. The savings is worthwhile though for me — usually.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Any examples of the type of savings you’ve encountered would be interesting to know. Thanks
Old Jun 21, 2021, 6:53 pm

Here are three recent examples of Bulk tickets with packages through United Vacations.

1. Philadelphia to Puerto Vallarta with connections (ORD outbound/IAH return) was selling for ~1200 the premium cabin per person. Same flights — with a throw away hotel room included in the price came to ~2000 for both of us. I valued the hotel at about ~65 based on what it was going for on other sites.

2. Newark to Miami was selling for ~678 in the premium cabin. I booked another throw away room at a hostel that was listed on the hostel site for ~21. The total was 443.

3. Newark to Cancun was ~920, but I booked my room and flight for 1908. The room through the properties website and Apple Vacations (same company as United Vacations) was going to cost me 1206. So here I feel like I saved about ~200.

The pricing does not always work out to be a great deal, especially close-in and for popular destinations or premium routes, but it is definitely worth checking it out!
Old Jun 21, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply. Are you happy with the way your PQP’s are calculated as well?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 7:22 pm

I have done VERY well with PQPs and always factor them into my decision making. The PQP earned is calculated by flight distance x 1.5 / 5. So on those flights with connections — it really works out in my favor. The close in bookings where the savings isn’t as great is where PQPs suffer. I almost feel like it is cheating sometimes because the PQPs awarded are so good!

It feels good to be useful on here and not be an annoying lurker with a question that makes me sound like a novice! I am glad you appreciated my answers!
kilo, uanj and Flying Machine like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Micp3208
I almost feel like it is cheating sometimes because the PQPs awarded are so good!
It's definitely not cheating -- UA sets the rules, and you're just playing by them.

It's no different than people taking long TPACs in AC business class because of the PQP ratio. If UA doesn't like it, they can change the rules.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
It's definitely not cheating -- UA sets the rules, and you're just playing by them.

It's no different than people taking long TPACs in AC business class because of the PQP ratio. If UA doesn't like it, they can change the rules.
Which they just did!
SPN Lifer and Micp3208 like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by kevflyer
Which they just did!
Yeah! I was caught by Surprise by that one. If it wasn’t for FT I would’ve never known
Micp3208 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 8:36 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Is there a pattern of routes where bulk fares are available?
Should I start with searching hub to hub routes?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
PQP for (BULK) ticket bought from United Vacations

I booked a flight+hotel package from United Vacations that includes a flight to Mexico. United.com lists the fare class as United Business (P) and says 2 PQF | 1,446 PQP. However, the current P fare is about $900, so 1,446 PQP seems wrong.
I need to know the PQP value as I am trying to re-qualify for the 1K status. How can I find out the PQP value without knowing the cost of the ticket?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is this a BULK fare?
Is a fare listed on united.com
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is this a BULK fare?
Is a fare listed on united.com
"Manage trip" on United.com says "Fare Class United Business (P)", so I do not think this is a BULK fare, but I may be wrong.
I booked with United Vacations a few years ago, before the introduction of PQP, and got the expected number of miles for that trip, so it was not a BULK fare then.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:31 pm

Check your United Vacations reservation. It will say Published or Bulk, both show P, Z, etc, so you cannot use that as your guide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.