Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buying Individual Bulk Fares Directly from United / United Vacations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Individual Bulk Fares Directly from United / United Vacations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2021, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The ticket was just issued and now it shows the correct amount - 18000 reward miles and 2160 PQP, so I guess it needs to issue first before doing the calculation.
that's always the case. Glad it is showing as intended!
bocastephen likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 4:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Bulk ticket questions

I've just booked a trip that I believe to be a bulk ticket (through fareboom) but I'm not sure about miles and upgrades.

1) Looking at ua.com, I see "0 miles earned this trip".
Since bulk tickets should earn miles and PQP, is this a display error?
Is there a way to make sure I'll earn miles and PQP?

2) Is it possible to use Plus Points to upgrade this reservation?
The Upgrade Cabin option says "This reservation is not eligible to be upgraded." but I'm wondering if there's a way.

The Fare Rules option at ua.com isn't working but if it helps, this is what I got from fareboom:
Fare basis: RNX00SNC and RL7RCWL
Booking Code: R

I've searched the fare rules for "upgrade" and "bulk" and couldn't find any of these words.

Thank you

UPDATE: the reservation now shows the upgrade option and MileagePlus earnings so I guess this wasn't a bulk ticket after all.
In this case, I have another question: how/where could I book a UA bulk ticket?

Last edited by leoo; Feb 28, 2023 at 5:52 am Reason: Question changed because I was wrong about reservation
Old Feb 28, 2023, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Reservations before they are ticketed always show zero.

Bulk tickets can come from various places; OTAs, United vacations etc.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
Reservations before they are ticketed always show zero.

Bulk tickets can come from various places; OTAs, United vacations etc.
Is there a way to be sure I'm getting a bulk ticket on a OTA before buying it?
Old Feb 28, 2023, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt there is a definitive way to tell. If you can recreate a fare on ITA Matrix, I'd say it's likely not a bulk fare. Many of the websites that seem to advertise consolidator/bulk fares seem kind of sketchy to me (and a number look to require you call to book them instead of offering online booking). It doesn't really seem worth the risk to try and go out of your way to book these.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and leoo like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 28, 2023 at 1:32 pm
Old Feb 28, 2023, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by leoo
In general, no. Usually with bulk fares you won't know the specific flights details until after you make the booking, or you are booking it as part of a package deal through an agency.

IE you're going on a cruise departing FL, that cruise company might advertise providing airfare from your home to departure point as part of the cruise "package". Almost always those flights are going to be ticketed in bulk fares and they don't tell you up front what flights they're putting you on, but sometime after you book the cruise you get your airfare itinerary. Same thing with OTAs that sell you a hotel or resort stay with your 10 day vacation, etc.

On United, you will know it is a bulk fare as the e-Ticket receipt will only show taxes and then say BULK everywhere there is normally a fare entry.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and leoo like this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 9:50 am

Got it, thanks!
Booking bulk fare tickets to maximize PQP earnings is harder than I thought.

I'd earn double the miles and PQP if this was a bulk ticket. I'll keep this reservation because it was $800 cheaper than united.com.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Got it, thanks!
Booking bulk fare tickets to maximize PQP earnings is harder than I thought.

I'd earn double the miles and PQP if this was a bulk ticket. I'll keep this reservation because it was $800 cheaper than united.com.
Travel agents can help with bulk tickets.

That said, partner airline earning can be lucrative, just keep your eyes peeled. I am heading to Europe next week on SAS, less than $500 PE ticket that will earn me at least 2.5 multiplier in PQP. A further schedule change now requires 2 stops to get to destination (previous one), so I would be getting more PQP in the process because previously the over the water segment was getting capped to 500 PQP anyway.

I need to get to Europe anyway, so this had just worked out!
leoo likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Ask your choice of booking agent what they're selling you.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Travel agents can help with bulk tickets.

That said, partner airline earning can be lucrative, just keep your eyes peeled. I am heading to Europe next week on SAS, less than $500 PE ticket that will earn me at least 2.5 multiplier in PQP. A further schedule change now requires 2 stops to get to destination (previous one), so I would be getting more PQP in the process because previously the over the water segment was getting capped to 500 PQP anyway.

I agree that partner airlines can be lucrative. I have a business class trip booked this summer with TK that cost $2,200 and will give me 4,000 PQP
It'd be great to take advantage of bulk ticket earnings though, the partner segment limit can be a problem.

Originally Posted by mduell
Ask your choice of booking agent what they're selling you.
I like to search and book it myself but next time I'll try a travel agent.

Is it hard to find a travel agent familiar with bulk tickets and Mileage Plus earnings?
Can bulk tickets be upgraded with Plus Points?
Old Feb 28, 2023, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As a travel agent I can tell you that booking bulk tickets is not possible unless the agency is given a special discount program that issues as a bulk ticket and I haven’t seen those for ages. Even the special discounts we have for entertainment issue with the fare details as the fares are programmed to auto price in the gds with the program coding.

Trust me, I’d be the first person itching to book these, certainly for myself, it’s just not that easy which is why the best option is always United Vacations.
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I have been using a bulk fare TA for several years with much success. PM me if you would like his email address.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Repooc17

I will second that. Partner airline earning can be very lucrative.

I have to be in MEL in July Bulk fare W cost: USD 2240.00 YYZ-EWR-SFO-MEL-EWR-YYZ maximum distance. Would earn as bulk fare 3KPQP 6 PQF. Will have to play upgrade lottery.

1. AC regularly has great fares EX: USA & Canada to Europe in Economy & Business P. With WS expanding Internationally AC will be offering great fares in fall & 2024.. Booked YYC-AMS for USD in "P: USD 2300. AC is very flexible with routing. 6+PQF high PQP. Icing on the cake AC regularly offers 15% discount code.

2. I will used my AMS trip as positing flights to
for MXP-AKL- July found in the following thread:
Star Alliance: CDG-North America-Auckland-Asia-CDG 2735€ biz Costs USD approx 3.5K . Booked in Z&J .
MXP-AKL -MXP all in J PQP earned 7K+
With AMS+ AKL will earn 11,000+PQP. for total cost USD 5.8K.
AKL-MEL-AKL award tix.

For my July trip I had the option to do : YYZ-EWR-SFO-MEL-SFO-EWR-YYZ in "P" Bulk Tix on UA for USD6195..That Bulk Tix will earn 6310PQP .

Going the partner earning route for USD 5.8K all in Business Class 11,000+ PQP !!!

For my Sept Trip to MEL will play the upgrade lottery & book Q or above.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I have been using a bulk fare TA for several years with much success. PM me if you would like his email address.
I'm curious what they are doing because all contracts stipulate that fares must auto-price - meaning the fare is published, or published adjusted for a contract discount and loaded into the GDS to auto price. Manual fares or fare masks will generate a debit memo unless the ticket is fared manually with a waiver code issued for a covered reason.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm curious what they are doing because all contracts stipulate that fares must auto-price - meaning the fare is published, or published adjusted for a contract discount and loaded into the GDS to auto price. Manual fares or fare masks will generate a debit memo unless the ticket is fared manually with a waiver code issued for a covered reason.
TAs can issue Bulk tixs ( published fares) via TO or consolidator; I was told by someone in the know that I trust who issues bulk tixs.

There are several large tour operators in USA,Canada, & Europe that negotiate on publish fares & sign contracts. .

Contracts these TO sign allows them not show the publish fare I guess. Thus Bulk Tix.

Some contracts are one year contracts others multi year.

Due to Covid & many international destination were closed & Airlines can fill their seats I guess the airlines likes of United are not in a hurry to Neg.

Someone in the know who does bulk tixs I trust 100% ; informed me The contracts for bulk fares for this year to Asia or Australia( those are the ones I am interested in & on United only ) have not been fully signed as yet should be soon. Keeping my fingers cross.

I would guess. Any bulk tixs that were issued in Jan 2023 were from previous year /years contract

United is filling their seats. United is not going to be rushing to sign contracts with consolidators.

Typically the contracts are for South America ,Asia & Oceania. I was told First tier *A carriers that I am interested in : UA,AC, LH group do not neg. for Western Europe thus no bulk fares to Europe.

UA's partners currently have such great Business Class fares to Asia & Europe No need for Bulk fares. YYZ-KIX in "P" on AC is under USD 3K. Netting 5K+ PQP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.