Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS can apply PlusPoints to awards through app

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GS can apply PlusPoints to awards through app

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Aloomatar
As far as I know it hasn’t been said that GS won’t be able to use SWL. I’d be very surprised if that’s the case.

But SWL isn’t available as a feature yet, that’s coming in January.
I called the GS line yesterday to try to StW NRT-EWR in March. I was told StW is only for paid tickets and not award travel. I haven't looked at the app yet to see if there is anything different.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Award ticket for 1K?

Originally Posted by mh3265a
I'm a 1K and can do it via the app as well. I think this is an option for everyone.
I do not think that 1K PlusPoints can be used to upgrade award ticket. I tried; the message was “this reservation is not eligible to be upgraded.”
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep - award itinerary has points plus waitlist option to prem eco, business or both.. nice!
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:19 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by jp12687
only GS can upgrade an award flight I believe (maybe some CC holders?)
Explorer and Club card members who have Premier status are CPU-eligible for award tickets, but not with instruments (or now PlusPoints).
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Following the PlusPoints conversion, GS members may now request upgrades to award tickets online. Sweet!
Nice benefit
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by manstein58
Nice benefit
Mutual benefit! The man hours spent managing training/application/redeposit on this had to be real. Still thankful but good business decision on UA's part.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA GS
Only 40 points to upgrade 2 seats from YN to PN? Is this a GS perk or a glitch?

Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by 1090MHz
Only 40 points to upgrade 2 seats from YN to PN? Is this a GS perk or a glitch?

You can APPLY them now you still have to wait to clear if no immediate PN space is available and that is a new perk for GS pax using the app. From above it looks like 1K can do it as well. I have yet to try it as no award travel scheduled at this time. Last time I did it over the phone spent 15 on apply instruments to both flights on a RT ticket and eventually nothing cleared. Always frustrating....
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by nomad420
From above it looks like 1K can do it as well. I have yet to try it as no award travel scheduled at this time..
I tried to upgrade an award ticket and got the message upgrade is illegible
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I couldn't get it to work in the app, but I did get it to work on the mobile website. Upgraded 10 award flights in about 15 minutes. Saved me over an hour of having to call in on the GS line.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by nomad420
You can APPLY them now you still have to wait to clear if no immediate PN space is available and that is a new perk for GS pax using the app. From above it looks like 1K can do it as well. I have yet to try it as no award travel scheduled at this time. Last time I did it over the phone spent 15 on apply instruments to both flights on a RT ticket and eventually nothing cleared. Always frustrating....
In my case it cleared. I now have two seats up front for the wife and I, but only 40 PlusPoints total were redeemed per the e-mail and the MileagePlus account. 40 seems like a mistake - it must be too low.

I booked YN using the United.com award travel search in November. I applied two GPUs in November via GS phone agent and it cleared yesterday, 2 days after the Dec 4 conversion.
The reservation now says "Fare Class United Polaris business (PN)" and "Upgrade Confirmed" with a green check box.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I had a domestic award ticket with RPU applied/cleared (before 12/4), but needed to cancel yesterday. I cancelled the reservation on-line, and the miles went back into my account right away. But 20 +P were NOT redeposited. I called GS and the agent was able to do it manually; she said it's best to call in to an agent these circumstances.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992
I tried to upgrade an award ticket and got the message upgrade is illegible
I didn't think that was the case but someone above (1K) stated it worked for him. I was 1K for years (soon to be again) and thought that "perk" was only for GS. I did it a few of time this year but I think it only cleared once so don't feel bad.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 9, 2019 at 11:11 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by wxguy
I had a domestic award ticket with RPU applied/cleared (before 12/4), but needed to cancel yesterday. I cancelled the reservation on-line, and the miles went back into my account right away. But 20 +P were NOT redeposited. I called GS and the agent was able to do it manually; she said it's best to call in to an agent these circumstances.

It's been buggy for years that when tickets got canceled but sometimes RPU/GPU never redeposited.

Seems still the case today!
wxguy likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by jp12687
only GS can upgrade an award flight I believe (maybe some CC holders?)
Can a GS member upgrade someone else's award ticket? If so, are there any fare class restrictions (esp for international)?

I booked a saver award ticket (X) to LHR and am wondering my dad (GS) can upgrade me (he's not traveling with me).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.