FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   GS can apply PlusPoints to awards through app (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1998169-gs-can-apply-pluspoints-awards-through-app.html)

Aloomatar Dec 4, 2019 3:54 am

GS can apply PlusPoints to awards through app

Not sure if this should go in the GS benefits thread, or in the PlusPoints thread.

Previously GS had to call up and have an agent manually apply a GPU to an award flight. This took up to 30 mins at times and was cumbersome.

I just tried to apply some PlusPoints to an award ticket in the app, and it let me do it (40 points per person for TATL flight, to upgrade from XN to whatever becomes available). This is a pretty big improvement over an already nice benefit.

Kleinnaf Dec 4, 2019 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Aloomatar (Post 31803226)
Not sure if this should go in the GS benefits thread, or in the PlusPoints thread.

Previously GS had to call up and have an agent manually apply a GPU to an award flight. This took up to 30 mins at times and was cumbersome.

I just tried to apply some PlusPoints to an award ticket in the app, and it let me do it (40 points per person for TATL flight, to upgrade from XN to whatever becomes available). This is a pretty big improvement over an already nice benefit.

This is Huge for me, thanks!

jp12687 Dec 4, 2019 4:10 am

Just being able to see them in the app and the history of usage and pending is a HUGE upgrade

LondonElite Dec 4, 2019 4:15 am

Can't everyone do this?

jp12687 Dec 4, 2019 4:20 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 31803268)
Can't everyone do this?

only GS can upgrade an award flight I believe (maybe some CC holders?)

LondonElite Dec 4, 2019 4:24 am

Originally Posted by jp12687 (Post 31803272)
only GS can upgrade an award flight I believe (maybe some CC holders?)

Ah, award flight. My mistake.

st530 Dec 4, 2019 6:11 am

Plus Points is looking more and more like the most FF-flyer thing UA has done in years, if not ever.

villox Dec 4, 2019 8:22 am

This is AMAZING! Seems a bit buggy as I tried applying it for a flight i just booked and it won't let me. But I was able to remove and re-apply one that had been showing as "PN Class requested" and now it properly shows waitlisted like the others. SO HAPPY!

CopperSteve Dec 4, 2019 9:43 am

This is a nice change! However, I am greatly disappointed that GS can't use Skip the Waitlist on award travel. I have points to burn (like so many others) and I would gladly fork over some for piece-of-mind to not sweat-out a pending upgrade NRT-EWR in March!

st530 Dec 4, 2019 10:19 am

Originally Posted by CopperSteve (Post 31804293)
This is a nice change! However, I am greatly disappointed that GS can't use Skip the Waitlist on award travel. I have points to burn (like so many others) and I would gladly fork over some for piece-of-mind to not sweat-out a pending upgrade NRT-EWR in March!

Is this spelled out somewhere, or are you just not seeing that option for award travel? (I haven't tried the feature yet.)

Aloomatar Dec 4, 2019 11:47 am

Originally Posted by st530 (Post 31804484)
Is this spelled out somewhere, or are you just not seeing that option for award travel? (I haven't tried the feature yet.)

As far as I know it hasn’t been said that GS won’t be able to use SWL. I’d be very surprised if that’s the case.

But SWL isn’t available as a feature yet, that’s coming in January.

mh3265a Dec 4, 2019 5:41 pm

I'm a 1K and can do it via the app as well. I think this is an option for everyone.

villox Dec 4, 2019 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by mh3265a (Post 31806064)
I'm a 1K and can do it via the app as well. I think this is an option for everyone.

The point of this thread is that you can apply upgrades to awards, something we’ve never been able to do in any way without calling. Yes, the app functionality is new for upgrades in general, but it’s the self service aspect that’s exciting.

nomad420 Dec 4, 2019 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by mh3265a (Post 31806064)

I didn't think 1K got that benefit, I thought only GS could apply and instrument (now points) to a award flight. Good to know that 1K can as I think my GS days are done.

flyerbjorn Dec 4, 2019 6:24 pm

Following the PlusPoints conversion, GS members may now request upgrades to award tickets online. Sweet!