Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS can apply PlusPoints to awards through app

Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Not sure if this should go in the GS benefits thread, or in the PlusPoints thread.

Previously GS had to call up and have an agent manually apply a GPU to an award flight. This took up to 30 mins at times and was cumbersome.

I just tried to apply some PlusPoints to an award ticket in the app, and it let me do it (40 points per person for TATL flight, to upgrade from XN to whatever becomes available). This is a pretty big improvement over an already nice benefit.
wxguy, RobOnLI and Air Houston like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Aloomatar
Not sure if this should go in the GS benefits thread, or in the PlusPoints thread.

Previously GS had to call up and have an agent manually apply a GPU to an award flight. This took up to 30 mins at times and was cumbersome.

I just tried to apply some PlusPoints to an award ticket in the app, and it let me do it (40 points per person for TATL flight, to upgrade from XN to whatever becomes available). This is a pretty big improvement over an already nice benefit.
This is Huge for me, thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:10 am

Just being able to see them in the app and the history of usage and pending is a HUGE upgrade
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Can't everyone do this?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Can't everyone do this?
only GS can upgrade an award flight I believe (maybe some CC holders?)
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jp12687
only GS can upgrade an award flight I believe (maybe some CC holders?)
Ah, award flight. My mistake.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Plus Points is looking more and more like the most FF-flyer thing UA has done in years, if not ever.
wxguy likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: UA GS
This is AMAZING! Seems a bit buggy as I tried applying it for a flight i just booked and it won't let me. But I was able to remove and re-apply one that had been showing as "PN Class requested" and now it properly shows waitlisted like the others. SO HAPPY!
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
This is a nice change! However, I am greatly disappointed that GS can't use Skip the Waitlist on award travel. I have points to burn (like so many others) and I would gladly fork over some for piece-of-mind to not sweat-out a pending upgrade NRT-EWR in March!
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
This is a nice change! However, I am greatly disappointed that GS can't use Skip the Waitlist on award travel. I have points to burn (like so many others) and I would gladly fork over some for piece-of-mind to not sweat-out a pending upgrade NRT-EWR in March!
Is this spelled out somewhere, or are you just not seeing that option for award travel? (I haven't tried the feature yet.)
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by st530
Is this spelled out somewhere, or are you just not seeing that option for award travel? (I haven't tried the feature yet.)
As far as I know it hasnt been said that GS wont be able to use SWL. Id be very surprised if thats the case.

But SWL isnt available as a feature yet, thats coming in January.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I'm a 1K and can do it via the app as well. I think this is an option for everyone.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I'm a 1K and can do it via the app as well. I think this is an option for everyone.
The point of this thread is that you can apply upgrades to awards, something weve never been able to do in any way without calling. Yes, the app functionality is new for upgrades in general, but its the self service aspect thats exciting.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I didn't think 1K got that benefit, I thought only GS could apply and instrument (now points) to a award flight. Good to know that 1K can as I think my GS days are done.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Following the PlusPoints conversion, GS members may now request upgrades to award tickets online. Sweet!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.