Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Were The Early 80's Really That Much Better On UA Than Now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by eng3
As for cost, it is relevant because I am defining "On UA" as what you get for your ticket price.
I suppose in the 80's you could buy a steak and lobster dinner with wine to-go from a restaurant and bring it with you to the airport and on-board the plane. In that case, you could say it was better too.
The seats are thinner and harder now, but I suppose you can buy a better seat cushion and bring it with you on the plane too.
There's not much you can do about legroom and seat width these days, but you can get very cheap seats on private jets sometimes so you could say that is better too.
I'm just trying to answer the original question:

On UA, In terms of food, it's worse. In terms of value, it is better.

But in the end, I think we are in agreement.
W/R to the whole air travel experience, It is better because you have the option to bring on board (or buy on board).
1. Economy plus didn't exist back then, so you can actually do a lot more now about lack of legroom (and 31 inch pitch was a thing by the 1980's) now than you could then. You can also get first class cheap with TOD upgrades and the like.

2. I think the whole air travel experience is the point. As I said- and I truly believe this- one reason why inflight meals were so much better in the past is because there really weren't a lot of other options. Now there are, so you don't need as much food on board.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
As far as cost is concerned...
In the early 1980s, my wife and I had to fly to N. Carolina from IAH for a wedding . Either AA or UA wanted $700 pp for the flight (over a weekend). However, People's Express was flying IAH-ORF for $69 each if we were willing to fly through EWR and pay for the flight on board and receive a cash register receipt (from a real on-board cash register no less ).
It didn't take us much convincing to choose People's Express and rent a car and drive from Norfolk to N. Carolina.

The flight itself went off without a hitch and certainly was no worse than the budget flights of today (with the exception of bigger seats, no charge for luggage and dirtier planes).

So flying back then certainly was more elegant but far more costly on routine airlines.
And it's also worth noting that PE and a lot of other super-low fare airlines of that era went bust. Really, the only two that survived were Southwest (which used the enormous customer goodwill it built up to switch to a higher fare model) and America West (which merged with legacy carrier US Airways and later with legacy carrier American and now operates as American with a traditional legacy carrier cost structure). So it's perfectly clear that the only reason people got that $69 airfare back then was because the airline was losing money.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
I found an old boarding pass that reminded me that once in the early 1980s, before Frontier Airlines switched to the Chinatown-bus-with-wings model, I was served surf and turf on a flight from San Diego to Denver. I guess they were in hot competition with Continental and United at Denver at the time, and chose to differentiate themselves with service.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used to really enjoy airline food (even in Y) and I think that changed starting the early 90s.

I remember once I was refunded the fare difference (on a discounted fare) by UA at check-in, without asking, because the fare has dropped.

The nickling and diming is a lot more severe now.

All that said, flying is safer now (excluding terrorism and unethical manufacturers like Boeing) + all the IT related advances (information available to passengers, AVOD, connectivity in-flight) and that is progress.

Frequent Flyer Status thing is good for those who have it and bad for those who don't have it.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton HHonors, AAdvantage, Tier 8 Status - Hotel Tonight
Originally Posted by username
I used to really enjoy airline food (even in Y) and I think that changed starting the early 90s.

I remember once I was refunded the fare difference (on a discounted fare) by UA at check-in, without asking, because the fare has dropped.

The nickling and diming is a lot more severe now.

All that said, flying is safer now (excluding terrorism and unethical manufacturers like Boeing) + all the IT related advances (information available to passengers, AVOD, connectivity in-flight) and that is progress.

Frequent Flyer Status thing is good for those who have it and bad for those who don't have it.
As a kid in the 1990s, I always enjoyed AA meals at dinner going to the Caribbean via MIA and SJU from EWR in Y. They had a cheese lasagna dish a warm side of bread that would be totally unimaginable to be served in Y on a 2.5 hour flight even in F these days. I remember I really hated airline food in Y after flying on CO way too many times back in the day but AA changed that. Y meals on CO domestically changed very little from the 1990s to when they were discontinued in the late 2000s. UA always had fairly comprehensive food in Y as well. Even Choice Menu these days is pretty good compared to the competition.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
I found an old boarding pass that reminded me that once in the early 1980s, before Frontier Airlines switched to the Chinatown-bus-with-wings model, I was served surf and turf on a flight from San Diego to Denver. I guess they were in hot competition with Continental and United at Denver at the time, and chose to differentiate themselves with service.
That was a different Frontier. The current airline shares only the name. The earlier Frontier went out of business.

I flew the old Frontier once in the 1980's, and yes, they were a high service airline.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by LAX_AUS_DL_FLYER
As a kid in the 1990s, I always enjoyed AA meals at dinner going to the Caribbean via MIA and SJU from EWR in Y. They had a cheese lasagna dish a warm side of bread that would be totally unimaginable to be served in Y on a 2.5 hour flight even in F these days. I remember I really hated airline food in Y after flying on CO way too many times back in the day but AA changed that. Y meals on CO domestically changed very little from the 1990s to when they were discontinued in the late 2000s. UA always had fairly comprehensive food in Y as well. Even Choice Menu these days is pretty good compared to the competition.
I have come to the belief that UA's international Y and transcontinental Y+ meals are highly underrated around these parts. Obviously, it's Y food, so you don't have high expectations, but almost everything I have had recently has been delicious- mains including omelettes, pancakes, chicken sausage, chicken orzo pasta, orange chicken, and beef soba nuoodles, some tasty rice and vegetable sides and quinoa salads, and desserts including yummy brownies and ice cream. In other words, when they still do feed you, it's quite quite good- sometimes actually better than some of the UA meals I had in the 1980's and 1990's. (I especially remember the gooey egg sandwich breakfasts on morning transcon flights back in the day, which were awful and the predecessors of the hated Jeff McMuffin.)
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I have come to the belief that UA's international Y and transcontinental Y+ meals are highly underrated around these parts. Obviously, it's Y food, so you don't have high expectations, but almost everything I have had recently has been delicious- mains including omelettes, pancakes, chicken sausage, chicken orzo pasta, orange chicken, and beef soba nuoodles, some tasty rice and vegetable sides and quinoa salads, and desserts including yummy brownies and ice cream. In other words, when they still do feed you, it's quite quite good- sometimes actually better than some of the UA meals I had in the 1980's and 1990's. (I especially remember the gooey egg sandwich breakfasts on morning transcon flights back in the day, which were awful and the predecessors of the hated Jeff McMuffin.)
OK, going off topic slightly, its been a few years since I've had an intl Y meal, though I have had a transcon Y+ meal in the past year and I am assuming they are similar. Maybe it is just me, but everytime I eat one of those meals, my stomach does not agree with it, meaning my body doesnt want to digest it and it screws me up for about 24hrs. If I stick to just eating the fruit, dessert, roll, rice, then its fine. The ones I remember most specifically is "chicken teriyaki" and "beef noodles". I also remember getting a chicken or pasta choice but they put so much sauce everything is submerged and it is basically a soup. I remember literally receiving this frozen once, there were actually ice crystals all over the tray. I've never had any digestive issues with the J or F meals. In terms of breakfast, whether Y or F, I have always thought it is UA's worst meal. When I think back to the Y meals I had when I was a kid, I don't remember this problem and I have memories of enjoying those meals. So maybe it's just my experiences but I found the quality of the meals in the past to be better than now. Even in the past 10 years, I seem to recall getting ice cream on longer flights in F. I just received an F meal the other day with an empty bowl where there use to be more food. So to me, the foo has gotten worse.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I came to this thread late - this is a very basic question, but what was the business model for airlines in the 1980s that allowed them to fly half full, widebody planes with the level of service these flights seemed to have? I know tickets were more expensive, but it would seem that demand was also lower. Was CASM so low that the airlines could afford it? Were airline companies subsidized?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I came to this thread late - this is a very basic question, but what was the business model for airlines in the 1980s that allowed them to fly half full, widebody planes with the level of service these flights seemed to have? I know tickets were more expensive, but it would seem that demand was also lower. Was CASM so low that the airlines could afford it? Were airline companies subsidized?
Prices were higher, price competition did not really start in earnest until 80's (deregulation occurred 1978), the pattern of repeated airline bankruptcies started in the later 80's and continuing into the 90's and early 2000's

So the post-deregulation airlines business models were failures (bankruptcies).
jsloan and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 11:20 am

Short answer, NO.

Early 80's, UA's hubs were not yet developed. SFO-IAH, only 1 flight per day.

By the mid 80's, it was better. One year, there was triple miles.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by A318neo
Early 80's, UA's hubs were not yet developed. SFO-IAH, only 1 flight per day. ....
IAH was not a UA "hub" until 2011/12.
Hubs were primarily a post-80's concept, in the pre-deregulation days and most of the 80's, it was mostly point-to-point system in the USA.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Hubs were primarily a post-80's concept, in the pre-deregulation days and most of the 80's, it was mostly point-to-point system in the USA.
SFO was a UA hub. However, it didn't have spokes everywhere. One example was Houston, where there was one noon-ish flight to IAH and one 7 am-ish flight IAH-SFO.

In the early 1980's, there were some hubs. DL-ATL, NW-MSP, UA-SFO, DEN.ORD; CO-IAH, TW-STL, etc.

By the late 1980's, there were some risky hubs that didn't survive past the early 90's. Examples include Dayton, Nashville, Indianapolis.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by A318neo
SFO was a UA hub. However, it didn't have spokes everywhere. One example was Houston, where there was one noon-ish flight to IAH and one 7 am-ish flight IAH-SFO.

In the early 1980's, there were some hubs. DL-ATL, NW-MSP, UA-SFO, DEN.ORD; CO-IAH, TW-STL, etc.

By the late 1980's, there were some risky hubs that didn't survive past the early 90's. Examples include Dayton, Nashville, Indianapolis.
There were definitely hubs even in the early 1980's. Alaska had one in Seattle, United had them at O'Hare and the old Denver airport, Continental had one in Denver too, and TWA had one in St. Louis.

Airlines weren't as aggressively hub and spoke in those days- for instance, UA has flown LAX-SEA for a very long time even though back in the day it didn't have a hub in either airport- but the concept of an airline hub dates back a very, very long time.

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Airlines used to lose lots of money, except on a few prestige routes. A lot of airlines were in and out of bankruptcy several times, there were tons of mergers and purchases, etc.
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 4, 2020 at 4:34 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I was pretty young in the 80s, but I definitely recall the following hubs:
-DL in ATL and DFW
-EA in ATL and maybe DCA
-CO in IAH, DEN, and EWR (after it acquired PE)
-AA in ORD, DFW, MIA, and SJU
-UA in ORD and DEN
-US in PIT, PHL, and BWI
-TW in STL

I didn't get west of the Rockies much back then, but I believe the west coast airlines at the time also had hubs.

ETA: I also recall that MCI was a hub, but I can't remember the specific airline. Maybe EA?

Last edited by moondog; Feb 4, 2020 at 8:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.