Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Paris Industrial Action 4-7 Dec 2019; Impact on UA's operations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Paris Industrial Action 4-7 Dec 2019; Impact on UA's operations?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I have a ticket for a UA codeshare operated by LH. The first flight leaves CDG so it's later than the current waiver period. Still, I'm wondering if an extended UA waiver would cover my ticket.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by ARR72
Today’s direct flight from SFO to CDG also cancelled,
Yeah, this led to UA914 tomorrow - CDG - IAD - being cancelled for me. Phoned their helpline and rerouted direct from EDI - very impressed by the help.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by AI93
Yeah, this led to UA914 tomorrow - CDG - IAD - being cancelled for me. Phoned their helpline and rerouted direct from EDI - very impressed by the help.
Thats great to hear.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Sweating the waitlist EWR-CDG next week. UA has been holding seats for a month now and the cabin is wide open. Everything looking good and now this. Just another reason why 1K is going by the wayside next year. Best of luck to everyone on your flights this week!
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Arrived an hour ago on 914. About 2/3 full. I had stayed overnight at an airport hotel last night. CDGVAL between terminals snd hotels is running as it is automated. T1 not crowded. Passport control took an hour, but security after that was normal. Sat on the tarmac for an hour and a half, due to ATC delays. But eventually took off.

Looked like the west coast flights made up a lot of cancellations. Maybe due to crew time out concerns.

i might also have considered renting a car and driving to Brussels.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
If T1 wasn’t crowded, I wonder why passport control took so long. I thank you for the update. I’ve been following all first hand accounts, trying to prepare myself for whatever I may encounter this weekend.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ARR72
If T1 wasn’t crowded, I wonder why passport control took so long. I thank you for the update. I’ve been following all first hand accounts, trying to prepare myself for whatever I may encounter this weekend.
Only 3 officers working.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by Artpen100
Only 3 officers working.
You didn’t have Access #1 ?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
So my mother and two family members are currently in Belgium (flew into CDG - then took train CDG to Belgium before the protests) and were headed back to Paris tomorrow, Sat., to end their trip. As we all know, the protests have affected all forms of French transportation. Could they have even gotten to Paris and then what would they do once there with the entire city in chaos?

So was texting with them late last night and we decided to have them switched to flying out of Amsterdam (will visit there) instead of Paris on the 11th. So even though this change wasn't covered by the current waiver by flight date or alternate airport, United customer service waived the $300 each change fees, but still charged the fare difference which was $88/ticket.

Could I have gotten that fare difference waived as well? I asked, but didn't push hard.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benewr
You didn’t have Access #1 ?
I went through the regular line with a colleague. But I did watch the No. 1 line - it was feeding to a single officer, so only marginally faster. Though maybe I shouldn't complain. Border control at CDG is a bottleneck at the best of times.

On the positive side, they were now serving a cremant in the Star Alliance lounge - which compared to other times had plenty of seats.
ajGoes and mstraveler like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CApreppie
So was texting with them late last night and we decided to have them switched to flying out of Amsterdam (will visit there) instead of Paris on the 11th. So even though this change wasn't covered by the current waiver by flight date or alternate airport, United customer service waived the $300 each change fees, but still charged the fare difference which was $88/ticket.

Could I have gotten that fare difference waived as well? I asked, but didn't push hard.
nope. Fare difference still applies. If the flight is cancelled they are more accommodating than using the waiver.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:39 am

Air France, local news outlets are stating strikes could last until Dec 10th
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
nope. Fare difference still applies. If the flight is cancelled they are more accommodating than using the waiver.
Thanks! Another day of intra-France travel disruption. They enjoyed a protest-free Saturday at the Haarlem Christmas Market today.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by alfredo95
Air France, local news outlets are stating strikes could last until Dec 10th
Our daily CDG --SFO flights seem to be leaving on time and set to arrive early. Probably good for us on Tuesday.

And in a real piece of irony, the strike demonstrations on Saturday were reported to be less attended than expected; the protestors couldn't get to the city due to the lack of buses and metros!
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.