Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Paris Industrial Action 4-7 Dec 2019; Impact on UA's operations?

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 18, 19, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, BA Gold

I see now that the Air France ground crew union is going on strike Dec. 5 for an indefinite period (along with the train unions). I am flying UA out of CDG T1 that day. While that strike is likely to make a mess out of T2 that day, I was under the impression that the same union might be contracted for T1 ground services, thereby messing up UA's and LH's flights as well. Does anyone know if that is the case?
Old Nov 18, 19, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Artpen100 View Post
I see now that the Air France ground crew union is going on strike Dec. 5 for an indefinite period (along with the train unions). I am flying UA out of CDG T1 that day. While that strike is likely to make a mess out of T2 that day, I was under the impression that the same union might be contracted for T1 ground services, thereby messing up UA's and LH's flights as well. Does anyone know if that is the case?
should not be an issue. Maybe some minor delays, but AF ground staff issues tend to not affect UA.
Old Nov 21, 19, 11:16 pm

Same boat

Following this as we are scheduled on United on Dec 5th to fit to SFO from CDG... hoping we donít get stuck
Old Nov 22, 19, 12:48 am

Programs: UA 1K&1.88MM, MR lifetime Gold, HZ PC,
I'm on AF flying SEA-CDG-AMS going through CDG on the 5th. And then Eurostar to Brussels and then London over the next couple of days. Perfect timing. Hadn't heard about the strike until now. Hurrah.
Old Nov 22, 19, 5:33 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Spoke with the Paris GS team about it 2 days ago and they are expecting a mess if the air control traffic people gets on strike too, which is very likely since they always strike for no reason.
If they donít, expect full flights and a mess in the very small UA satellite at T1 as usually a lot of business travel gets reaffected from AF to UA.

Last edited by benewr; Nov 22, 19 at 6:49 am
Old Nov 22, 19, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by benewr View Post
Spoke with the Paris GS team about it 2 days ago and they are expecting a mess if the air control traffic people gets on strike too, which is very likely since they always strike for no reason.
A few years ago I was on a FRA-ORD flight that was affected by a French ATC strike. The flight was delayed because we couldn't fly through French airspace and a new flight plan had to be generated.
Old Nov 23, 19, 11:45 pm

Programs: Ihg Spire, Amb
I’m flying out two days later (Saturday sfo-cdg). Extremely wishful thinking that there’ll be some resolution by Sunday. It’s going to be an interesting week.
Old Dec 3, 19, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, BA Gold
Air traffic controllers now going out, too, though a blurb on the easyjet site says it will only affect 35% of flights. Still no word on the potential impact from UA or LH.
Old Dec 3, 19, 9:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:41 pm

So does this mean UA has canceled this flight? I’m planning to cancel all of my travel plans (hotels, tickets, and etc...) instead of trying to visit Paris during the largest strike in French history...
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:54 pm

Flying EDI-CDG-IAD on Friday and got an alert through today as well. Quite concerned that even if the IAD flight is on time, my inbound may well be cancelled.

Just called UA - doesn't sound like they're offering any origin/destination changes yet.
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by ericfides9 View Post
So does this mean UA has canceled this flight?
Which flight? I don't see any cancellations at the moment.
Old Dec 3, 19, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by AI93 View Post
Flying EDI-CDG-IAD on Friday and got an alert through today as well. Quite concerned that even if the IAD flight is on time, my inbound may well be cancelled.

Just called UA - doesn't sound like they're offering any origin/destination changes yet.
Who are you flying EDI-CDG on? Same ticket?
Old Dec 3, 19, 1:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ericfides9 View Post
So does this mean UA has canceled this flight? ...
No, not at this time. UA is offering free change / rescheduling but not (yet) refunds.
Old Dec 3, 19, 1:54 pm

What are we supposed to do? Does this mean UA will still fly into CDG even though airworkers will be on strike? I understand it wouldn't affect all terminals but seeing reports on the magnitude of this, I may not be able to even get into Paris...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: