Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Active duty military denied access at IAD United Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Active duty military denied access at IAD United Club

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
No, there is a free access everyday, but certain conditions must be met.
Glad to know this. And good for UA for having this policy. Too bad it was not followed by the agent in question.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spin88
And good for UA for having this policy. Too bad it was not followed by the agent in question.
This isn’t clear.

Isn’t there a USO center? I always hear about them blaring on the PA.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Well that is bad if the lounge representative did not allow the daughter in if she met the criteria and there was space. However, the thread title is way more dramatic than the incident.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's IAD. They were doing her a favor
Beat me to it.

Originally Posted by calmasahinducow
The only thing worse than servicemembers' entitlement is their parents' servicemember entitlement. I say this as a currently serving Army officer: nothing makes me cringe harder than people like OP (and possibly his/her/xer daughter if she raised a big fuss about it).
This. So she didn’t get a benefit. Suck it up and move on.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
The rotunda club at SF was twice as crowded as normal on Veterans Day today but El Cheapo Sodexo still put out the same measly two trays of salami which were gone in (literally) a muzzle flash today. Guy sitting next to me is active service Navy. He asked for more and was told "that's it!" What a chump! The nerve of these service men and women expecting service! Sodexo's net income last year was a puny €945 million so I understand. >>> Cue the next Safety Video >>> Mild mannered Oscar Munoz by day, incredible superhero by night. He's Captain Low Bid. "No Bid is Too Low for Captain Low Bid!"

"Wow, must be some good movie."

P.S. Mathematics has done some amazing things in the last 3000 years. Long before we had computer data sets of historical attendance of United Clubs and automated catering service scheduling. When United signs a contract I assume they pay per head. They should make sure they get catering per head in return.
Silver Fox and FlyerTalker70 like this.

Last edited by dkmatter; Nov 11, 2019 at 11:14 pm
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
All that said...OP's daughter really needs to get a Priority Pass card and head over to the A/B gates and go in the TK lounge, which offers you a full hot meal that's very good. All of the UC lounges at IAD are a dump compared to the A/B lounges. Heck, I'd even pick the AF/KL lounge (also PP accessible during certain hours) over the UC lounges because even though the food isn't great there, it's way better than at the UCs. Or...find someone who's UA*G and ask him/her to guest her into the LH lounge. If I were ever traveling alone and anyone in military uniform approached me and asked me to guest him/her into a *A lounge, I'd gladly do so. Especially on Veterans Day.
Careful there! I would put the UCs on par with the TK lounge and would argue that at least for breakfast selection on offer from UA is hands down better than what was available when I was there in March (i.e. yogurt, cereals and fruit). Perhaps the food situation is better later in the day but early morning it is a disappointment. On the other hand, the TK lounge does have an adequate shower, something that cannot be said about any Domestic United Club. The business centre (which is obviously the main attraction of a lounge) is also a disappointment, limited desk space and the printer they had on site didn't seem to let me send it documents like I could at United Clubs. For my money, I'd much rather be in the neighbouring Senator lounge which I hear also has showers.

The Points Dude recently had an article discussing the various lounge access benefits offer to service members. AA and UA both have explicit policies that allow members of the military to enter their lounge. Interestingly, DL does not have such a policy but does offer one of their premium credit cards (which also includes Delta Club along with Priority Pass access) for free to active duty military members. Perhaps this is something OP should examine further.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Isn’t there a USO center? I always hear about them blaring on the PA.
Yes there is! However it is located in the baggage claim area and so would not be helpful for a service member departing IAD (unless they enjoy having to re-clear security for the honour of using it).
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:49 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Originally Posted by andrewstahl
My daughter, active US Navy, is traveling on orders on Veteran’s Day. She was turned away from the United Club at IAD. She has a ticket on United flying her to a training class.

What a way to show respect for the military on Veterans Day.
Sounds like a one-off misunderstanding of policy. I wouldn’t call United “vetaran and military unfriendly” for failing to deliver what’s ultimately a generous free gift, not an entitlement.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Careful there! I would put the UCs on par with the TK lounge and would argue that at least for breakfast selection on offer from UA is hands down better than what was available when I was there in March (i.e. yogurt, cereals and fruit). Perhaps the food situation is better later in the day but early morning it is a disappointment. On the other hand, the TK lounge does have an adequate shower, something that cannot be said about any Domestic United Club. The business centre (which is obviously the main attraction of a lounge) is also a disappointment, limited desk space and the printer they had on site didn't seem to let me send it documents like I could at United Clubs. For my money, I'd much rather be in the neighbouring Senator lounge which I hear also has showers.

The Points Dude recently had an article discussing the various lounge access benefits offer to service members. AA and UA both have explicit policies that allow members of the military to enter their lounge. Interestingly, DL does not have such a policy but does offer one of their premium credit cards (which also includes Delta Club along with Priority Pass access) for free to active duty military members. Perhaps this is something OP should examine further.

Yes there is! However it is located in the baggage claim area and so would not be helpful for a service member departing IAD (unless they enjoy having to re-clear security for the honour of using it).
AFAIK none of the DL affiliated credit cards available to NONmilitary at annual fees up to about $500 include PP. Moreover, the "Delta Club" isn't a membership but rather lounge access when traveling on DL.

I wonder whether there are other inaccuracies in the blog you link.......
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andrewstahl
My daughter, active US Navy, is traveling on orders on Veteran’s Day. She was turned away from the United Club at IAD. She has a ticket on United flying her to a training class.

What a way to show respect for the military on Veterans Day.
Originally Posted by physioprof
Yeah, just found this:

"We are pleased to invite active duty military members in uniform or with present leave orders or rest and recuperation papers to visit our United Club℠ locations on the same day they are traveling on a United- or United Express®-operated flight."

Rogue United Club desk agent sounds likely. Terrible.
Orders are not all orders
The UC policy specifically states R&R and Leave

If she was traveling for official business ie TDY or TAD, then she wouldn't qualify

Yeah, it is semantics, but if every AD member traveling on orders was allowed in the UC it would be a mess

I am US Navy retired and I think not only is your entire premise maybe suspect but your inflammatory headline goes against everything I have seen in the past 3-4 years. I live in CHS and see between 50-100 new recruits arriving each week. Plus my own travels, I would say United treats them very well.
fastair and narvik like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543

And by the way, I have UC passes that I will never use and if there's a way to transfer one to your daughter, I'd be happy to do so. PM me.

^
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

5000 posts, but still no answer to the question by the OP: "Why the entry was denied", what did the lounge attendant said?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Beat me to it.

This. So she didn’t get a benefit. Suck it up and move on.
Not sure what you all are referring to, but the UA club in the D gates is pretty good.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Please folks stop responding to this thread. It is senseless. No matter the reason/rationale given by respondents the OP will give a reason/rationale not originally presented in his summation.
Any Vet should be respected or honored with all benefits/perks they are entitled yesterday or any day but since none of us were there including the OP we are all at a point of endless conjecture.

Details yesterday:
UA had extensive cancellation at its ORD hub - can result in full lounge/delays/etc downstream in the network.
I don't think UA IAD club or EWR (pop-up) lounges are really worth the effort even if you have admittance. If I were told NO Admittance by the front desk I would say OK because it probably saved me from salty snacks, unnecessary cookie I don't need and some rude other entitled guest talking loudly on their phones as if they were in a corner office with sound proof.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bwiadca
5000 posts, but still no answer to the question by the OP: "Why the entry was denied", what did the lounge attendant said?
I think what I find most intereting is the OP stating how terrible UA is to military personnel due to this one incident, and then later saying he's never seen bad service to the military before by any airline (including UA).

When people say Millennials are too dramatic, I'm reminded that we're all dramatic, no matter our age.

Thanks for your service and sacrifice, veterans.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
This feels less and less like a United policy problem and more and more like a helicopter parent intervening on behalf of his adult daughter (whom we haven't heard a word from).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.