Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Active duty military denied access at IAD United Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

My daughter, active US Navy, is traveling on orders on Veteran’s Day. She was turned away from the United Club at IAD. She has a ticket on United flying her to a training class.

What a way to show respect for the military on Veterans Day.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by andrewstahl
My daughter, active US Navy, is traveling on orders on Veteran’s Day. She was turned away from the United Club at IAD. She has a ticket on United flying her to a training class.

What one of the uniforms was she wearing? Crackerjacks? service uniform?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Is there a United Club policy for free access to active military on orders on veteran's day?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
Is there a United Club policy for free access to active military on orders on veteran's day?
No, there is a free access everyday, but certain conditions must be met.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
No, there is a free access everyday, but certain conditions must be met.
Yeah, just found this:

"We are pleased to invite active duty military members in uniform or with present leave orders or rest and recuperation papers to visit our United Club℠ locations on the same day they are traveling on a United- or United Express®-operated flight."

Rogue United Club desk agent sounds likely. Terrible.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
Here is the UA policy providing for free Club access to active U.S. military traveling on orders. Note that access is subject to capacity and seating limitations:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-benefits.html
SAPriorityTag, mr8 and jerseytom like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Here is the UA policy providing for free Club access to active U.S. military traveling on orders. Note that access is subject to capacity and seating limitations:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-benefits.html
Regardless of capacity & seating limitations, especially on Veteran's Day, it would've been an extremely good idea to figure out a way not to turn active military away.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
My daughter, active US Navy, is traveling on orders on Veteran’s Day. She was turned away from the United Club at IAD. She has a ticket on United flying her to a training class. .....
What was the reason for the denial? As admission is normally offered.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could there be an age issue for admission if the OP's daughter is under 21 and the UA club lounge has a self service bar?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Was she in uniform? If not, she wasn’t entitled to United Club access as the OP indicates she was traveling on orders for training (i.e. not leave or R&R orders). The policy was changed several years ago, although many agents probably don’t know the difference between official orders and a leave authorization.

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!

Certainly sounds like something went wrong in this particular instance, but don't you think this is a bit hyperbolic considering UA policy is for complimentary admission to UC's and that active duty mil board before United's "best" customers? I boarded an ORD-SFO flight last week where the gate agent gave a speech about the wwII Iwo Jima veteran traveling on the flight before inviting everyone at the gate to provide applause as he was boarded before boarding even started.

veteran and military unfriendly? come on.

Last edited by aCavalierInCoach; Nov 11, 2019 at 2:33 pm Reason: embarrassing typo
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I’ll bet there were at least a few dozen people in the lounge who would have voluntarily left to make space — if that was the issue.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
United bends over backwards for (U.S.) military. Extrapolating the behaviour of one agent to implicate the entire company is irresponsible.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
This thread title is over the top given that this is one incident and we don't yet know the details as to why she may have been denied entry.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's IAD. They were doing her a favor
roberto99, Miggles, SS255 and 10 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.