FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Active duty military denied access at IAD United Club
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalker70

Originally Posted by STS-134
All that said...OP's daughter really needs to get a Priority Pass card and head over to the A/B gates and go in the TK lounge, which offers you a full hot meal that's very good. All of the UC lounges at IAD are a dump compared to the A/B lounges. Heck, I'd even pick the AF/KL lounge (also PP accessible during certain hours) over the UC lounges because even though the food isn't great there, it's way better than at the UCs. Or...find someone who's UA*G and ask him/her to guest her into the LH lounge. If I were ever traveling alone and anyone in military uniform approached me and asked me to guest him/her into a *A lounge, I'd gladly do so. Especially on Veterans Day.
Careful there! I would put the UCs on par with the TK lounge and would argue that at least for breakfast selection on offer from UA is hands down better than what was available when I was there in March (i.e. yogurt, cereals and fruit). Perhaps the food situation is better later in the day but early morning it is a disappointment. On the other hand, the TK lounge does have an adequate shower, something that cannot be said about any Domestic United Club. The business centre (which is obviously the main attraction of a lounge) is also a disappointment, limited desk space and the printer they had on site didn't seem to let me send it documents like I could at United Clubs. For my money, I'd much rather be in the neighbouring Senator lounge which I hear also has showers.

The Points Dude recently had an article discussing the various lounge access benefits offer to service members. AA and UA both have explicit policies that allow members of the military to enter their lounge. Interestingly, DL does not have such a policy but does offer one of their premium credit cards (which also includes Delta Club along with Priority Pass access) for free to active duty military members. Perhaps this is something OP should examine further.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Isn’t there a USO center? I always hear about them blaring on the PA.
Yes there is! However it is located in the baggage claim area and so would not be helpful for a service member departing IAD (unless they enjoy having to re-clear security for the honour of using it).