Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Survey: Tell us what you think about our partnership with Marriott Bonvoy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Survey: Tell us what you think about our partnership with Marriott Bonvoy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you think Kirby is an idiot, wait until you get familiar with Arne Sorenson - a kindergarten business class has more knowledge and insight.

Marriott is bleeding customers, or more specifically, hemorrhaging, customers right and left - benefits are slashed, redemption requirements are up, and the program is a mess, and don't get me started on that ridiculous program name that sounds like a ditzy highschool cheerleader yelling goodbye to her annoying friends. I made Lifetime Platinum under SPG, only to be knocked down two levels under the new program where Platinum is the new Gold. Now I primarily look for TA rates or just do AirBNB because with lifetime status, I have no reason to go out of my way to stay there.

Wake me up when United signs a deal with Hyatt - that would be more interesting for sure given the higher value of Hyatt points, a more streamlined program and nicer properties even if the footprint is smaller.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:07 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It seems Hyatt’s World of Hyatt program and AAdvantage have a better package of benefits for top elites.

As a Globlist, I get AA Platinum status after linking the two accounts and offered fast track to Platinum Elites.

ConciergeKey members get Globalist status.

Perhaps UA and Marriott can match the same benefits as Hyatt and AA are offering to remain competitive.
How do you get that AA status? I linked my accounts ages ago and got nothing.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by bmw303
UA Silver is better than Bonvoy Gold.

E+, Premier Access boarding/bag handling, possible first class upgrades, reduced fees
As it should. You need at least 75 nights to get comp'd UA Silver; while you would only need to spend $6K to get comp'd Marriott Gold.

All that said, you missed the point of my post. I wasn't comparing the specifics.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It seems Hyatt’s World of Hyatt program and AAdvantage have a better package of benefits for top elites.

As a Globlist, I get AA Platinum status after linking the two accounts and offered fast track to Platinum Elites.

ConciergeKey members get Globalist status.

Perhaps UA and Marriott can match the same benefits as Hyatt and AA are offering to remain competitive.
Newsroom - Earn Miles in Your Sleep and Points in the Air: American Airlines and Hyatt Announce Enhanced Loyalty Benefits - American Airlines Group, Inc.

AAdvantage Platinum, Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum members and Explorist and Globalist World of Hyatt members will also have the opportunity to participate in limited time status challenges.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by northsideguy
They only get Silver.

Yes, I know. But if United offered more to Marriott titanium/ ambassador members by matching to premier gold status, then having more Marriott platinum members via 1K/GS may not be so bad in terms of crowded lounges (and flip side more group 1 boarding/e+ eligible passengers)
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by myperks
Yes, I know. But if United offered more to Marriott titanium/ ambassador members by matching to premier gold status, then having more Marriott platinum members via 1K/GS may not be so bad in terms of crowded lounges (and flip side more group 1 boarding/e+ eligible passengers)
Way to dilute both brands at the same time.

With United's focus on profitability, I can't see them giving away higher status than currently on table.

Do you know how much $ you'd have to spend on Marriott CC before getting Plat status? Yeah, I don't see them up the ante either anytime soon.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
How do you get that AA status? I linked my accounts ages ago and got nothing.
I will post a screen shot of an email I received later today when I have access to it.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Way to dilute both brands at the same time.

With United's focus on profitability, I can't see them giving away higher status than currently on table.

Do you know how much $ you'd have to spend on Marriott CC before getting Plat status? Yeah, I don't see them up the ante either anytime soon.
Agreed. But if Marriott is going to give up Bonvoy Platinum for United upper tiers, then I would think United needs to bring something to the table as well. Just wishful thinking.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So as someone who did get the email I am trying to understand the genesis of the survey. I know the questions they asked and I was not interested in most of what was suggested because after I dropped to Gold with Marriott I have no interest in staying at a Mariott and it sounds like there are a number of other 1K folks who feel the same way about staying at Marriott properties.

Now if they were offering the same opportunities with Hilton I would be very interested.

Just confused why they sent the survey.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by myperks
Agreed. But if Marriott is going to give up Bonvoy Platinum for United upper tiers, then I would think United needs to bring something to the table as well. Just wishful thinking.
Silver provides quite a bit over GM that we Gold or higher take for granted. Perhaps they should restrict this to Plutionium Bonvoy level only.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:26 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Marriott lost my 9 nights in London this year. They’re not getting my 9-10 London nights next year. All I wanted is breakfast to balance out their higher rates vs similar hotels. If I get the survey, I will vote for the Plat to GS/1K suggestion.
My status as well. Moved all Marriott nights (42 this year) because they took away my breakfast. Most of the nights went to Hilton this year. I don't even have breakfast most days as I rush and grab something on the way or have a breakfast meeting elsewhere. But that's not the point.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Silver provides quite a bit over GM that we Gold or higher take for granted. Perhaps they should restrict this to Plutionium Bonvoy level only.
this depends on which side you are hoping for
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planes&trains
My status as well. Moved all Marriott nights (42 this year) because they took away my breakfast. Most of the nights went to Hilton this year. I don't even have breakfast most days as I rush and grab something on the way or have a breakfast meeting elsewhere. But that's not the point.
Just like United Clubs, breakfast and lounge experience at Hilton properties have deteriorated quite a bit in recent years; crammed space and high volume (noise level). Seemingly everyone is a Diamond at Hilton. This year, I haven't bothered to re-qualify Diamond for next year anyway.. Will probably pick up an Aspire CC instead like everyone else, save a lot of $ in the process, and still have Diamond status for the occasional stays (e.g. HGI at LHR)
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
As someone who earns Marriott status the hard way, I'm 100% fine with the current set-up. And see no good reason that Marriott should give the same benefits to a 9 night per year customer that it gives to a 99 nights per year customer.
Bingo.

I started to book Marriotts (almost) full time about a year ago. With the UA “loss” of Platinum (it wasn’t, it’s that Gold lost the lounge) I got the Chase Bonvoy Boundless card and a 15 night head start towards Plat and qualified in August. I’m not at Kacee’s level of stays, currently at 64 nights, including the credits with 8 more this year, but I’ve earned my lounge access/free brekkie.

And I have Hilton Gold through AMEX Plat, and my experience of “free breakfast” has been a joke. $11 gets you the bagel and coffee and not much more, and twice the servers tried charging me extra for the coffee claiming it wasn’t part of the deal. Maybe a tipping issue on heir part, but they got precisely $0 from me (I’d have tipped $3).

And remember the highest UA will give to Marriott elites is MP Silver. Why not Gold for Titanium’s which would fill up free E+ with occasional UA fliers? It cuts both ways.

Last edited by usbusinesstraveller; Oct 31, 2019 at 11:11 pm
Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I'm Lifetime Platinum (will be as of January) so a useless benefit for me. But based on some of the questions being asked they could have some value added benefits.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I'm Lifetime Platinum (will be as of January) so a useless benefit for me. But based on some of the questions being asked they could have some value added benefits.
If they boosted a SPG LT Plat to Titanium while they held 1K status, that would be nice - or tossed in a few SNAs - but I doubt any of that will ever happen. Just look at what UA did to its own lifetime club members after the new entry restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.