Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Survey: Tell us what you think about our partnership with Marriott Bonvoy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

Received an email about a survey asking feedback about United's Partnership with Marriott Bonvoy.

It seems to be a good opportunity for us to voice our comments of striped of the Platinum Elite status under the new Marriott Bonvoy program.

There is a feature to enter customize comments and getting other survey takers to vote on. Someone entered giving GS/1K members the Platinum Elite status. I voted for it.

If you received the survey, I would encourage taking the survey. Hope there are enough support from the survey results to get our Platinum Elite status back.
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
UA Gold and higher members already get complementary Gold status with Marriott. If you want Plat, stay the min. required nights.

Marriott elites only get UA Silver status, and that is for Titanium members and up.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Marriott lost my 9 nights in London this year. They’re not getting my 9-10 London nights next year. All I wanted is breakfast to balance out their higher rates vs similar hotels. If I get the survey, I will vote for the Plat to GS/1K suggestion.
Thysk, Kannai, MarkyMarc and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Another reason it would have been potentially beneficial to stretch to make 1K with United: Marriott Platinum Elite.
As it is, 1MM Gold gets Bonvoy Gold Elite, so once again, there's no real incentive for United loyalty...
Kannai, bballdad175 and 1P like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I'm already lifetime Gold with Marriott, so it's a useless perk for me, and I told the survey dolts so.
1kBill and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Maybe, just maybe UA doesn't hold the ultimate power in the partnership where it can dictate what freebies elite members get in a program it has no control over.

Marriott elites draw the short end of the straw. How would UA folks feel if Marriott would give its elites comp 1K status?

Is there another more generous airline-hotel partnership out there, where you can get complementary membership in the other program? I didn't think so.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Is there another more generous airline-hotel partnership out there...
There was a more generous airline-hotel partnership out there when they still offered Marriott Platinum Elite.
Kannai likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by narvik
There was a more generous airline-hotel partnership out there when they still offered Marriott Platinum Elite.
If you want to live in the past, there are a lot of better things to pine about. That was then, this is now. [Moderator edit]
Dublin_rfk and Flying for Fun like this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Oct 31, 2019 at 8:41 am Reason: Per FT Rule 12.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
...Marriott elites draw the short end of the straw. How would UA folks feel if Marriott would give its elites comp 1K status?...
I really didn’t feel anything special about being Marriott Platinum outside of breakfast and lounge access. Marriott elites getting UA Silver get free E+, which can add up over 4 round trips (ie 8 x $).

Marriott Gold via UA doesn’t seem like it gets one anything. United Silver via Marriott still has value.
MarkyMarc and notquiteaff like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:50 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Didn’t get the survey, and I’ll play contrarian...

No complaints from me, but I’m an outlier. Whatever metric they used to determine “years as Platinum”, I think using previous UA-MR Granted Gold status and a few years of Starwood Gold (I think before there was a plat level)...I’ve already hit LT Gold, and after making Plat organically this year, I now have 8 of the 10 required years of Plat, and am within 100 nights.

What would be nice is UA Premier Gold and Premier Plat we’re still granted Gold, but maybe 1K’s get Gold plus 25 nights credit towards plat or higher. 25 nights is half the Plat requirement. That would drive, I think, a lot of 1K traffic to Marriott.

Frankly, as I near Hilton Lifetime Diamond, I’m moving more to Marriott to hit the LT plat, as I have 26 months from today to get like 20-some nights. (I haven’t used my 1-time, 1-year Diamond extension). I just wish Bonvoy would offer more bonus point promos. This new one, after almost 2 months of nothing, is very very weak.

However, I honestly I love both programs. Even when downgraded to Gold earlier this year (and before I hit 50 nights), I stayed at 3 different full-service (read: no free breakfast for all) places, a Renaissance, a Sheraton and a Delta hotel. I politely asked and was given breakfast at all three of them without a second thought. Phrased something like, “Hey, I know I’m just a lowly Gold, but do you have an extra breakfast certificate back there?”...Worked all three times! Not sure if it was my charm, them possibly seeing that I am lifetime Gold, or maybe it was just simply good service.
Dublin_rfk likes this.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Oct 31, 2019 at 2:48 am
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
...Phrased something like, “Hey, I know I’m just a lowly Gold, but do you have an extra breakfast certificate back there?”...Worked all three times! Not sure if it was my charm, them possibly seeing that I am lifetime Gold, or maybe it was just good, simple service.
With my luck, I’d pony up for an over-priced Marriott room in London and have the bowl of mints pointed out to me if I asked the same question.
MBS MillionMiler and narvik like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Better than nothing. But not what it recently was.

Frankly the Hertz PC is now a better benefit than Bonvoy Gold.
econ, Brucemcdou and narvik like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
. Someone entered giving GS/1K members the Platinum Elite status. I voted for it.

If you received the survey, I would encourage taking the survey. Hope there are enough support from the survey results to get our Platinum Elite status back.
That was me! Glad its getting votes
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If you want to live in the past, there are a lot of better things to pine about. That was then, this is now. Accept it or forever be disappointed.
Well, okay then.
Kacee likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I got the survey. So is Marriott hurting from less people booking with them? I am one of them. It was only 15/20 room nights or so a year but I would stay at Marriott properties for the lounge access. Once that went so did I. I now stay at Hilton due to the benefits that Amex holders get - like lounge access.
chavala, Brucemcdou and SF_DUKE like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.