Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Partner ticket PQP calculator
Partner Earning

Beginning in 2020, if you fly a partner airline (not UA metal) and your ticket is on the stock of another airline (not 016 ticket), you will earn PQP as a fraction of the distance flown. That fraction is determined by your fare class, and can be found in the tables below.
The way to derive this fraction is to go to the United earnings page for your airline and determine the RDM (not PQM) earning rate for your fare class. Then divide this number by 5 for "preferred partners" and 6 otherwise.
If the fare class of a non-016 *A partner flight allows RDM earnings (and therefore PQDs), the flight also earns Premier Qualifying Flight (PQF) credit.

Preferred Partner Airlines: AC AD AV CA CM EN EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN VA WK
Other Partner Airlines (status earning): A3 AI BR ET HO LO MS OA OU OZ SA SK SQ TG TK TP ZH
Other Partner Airlines (NO Premier credit): 3M 4B 9K EI HA UK VW

Note that for the third category you will earn RDM but no PQP, regardless of ticket stock (this is no change from before when you would not earn PQM).

For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight {segment} on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:

MileagePlus members who purchased tickets on eligible partners prior to these new rules may submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to [email protected] with the subject line "OA PQP Review" to be considered for PQP earning under the prior rules. Receipts should not be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.
UA Capping PQP Earn with Partners (update -- per flight segment)

Frequently Asked Questions
What if I fly a United-operated segment on a non-United ticket? You will earn PQP equal to the portion of the fare assignable to that segment. This information is transmitted from the ticketing carrier to United, and will be a somewhat arbitrary number between 0 and the full value of the fare component which includes that segment**. (This is the same as earning PQD on such a segment today.)

**Many reports of this not working even this well, and the potential number being outside this range.

What about codeshare segments? As before, codeshares do not matter. Only the operating carrier (metal) of each segment and the stock of the ticket determine your earnings.

How do I get a non-016 ticket? Any ticket purchased directly from another airline will be a partner-issued ticket, even if it has United segments. (Any ticket purchased from United will be an 016 ticket, even if it has no United segments.) Tickets purchased from an agency will usually have a stock of the marketing carrier of the most significant segment ("first long segment" usually).

What's the trick here? Because PQP are earned as a fraction of the distance flown, flying long distances on low-priced fares can earn more PQP than dollars spent. For any given journey, you should consider where you are earning a favorable ratio of PQP to dollars of at least 1.0 when ticketing this way, and consider ticketing with United if you are not.

What about BULK fares? Bulk fares will also earn PQP by distance, as noted in the table below. This is the only way to earn by distance on United metal.

Earnings Tables
Last updated in the image on 17-Nov-23.
To use: Determine the flight miles of your trip, then multiply by the applicable percentage based on the fare class of the ticket. That is your PQP for that segment. Example: 1000 mile flight on Air Canada booked in W fare code: PQP = 1000*.15=150).

Note that values >= 20% are rounded to the nearest 1%, and smaller values are rounded to the nearest 0.1%. If precise calculations are needed, you should always use the original source material (United website).

Star Alliance Airlines
Warning: It is strongly recommended that you consult the United earnings page for your airline and confirm the earning rate here, as they have been to known to change without notice and apply retroactively to tickets purchased before the change.
Note: There are special rules for AC branded Economy fares on 014 tickets.
GREEN background is a "preferred" partner.

Other Partner Airlines (not Star Alliance)
Warning: It is strongly recommended that you consult the United earnings page for your airline and confirm the earning rate here, as they have been to known to change without notice and apply retroactively to tickets purchased before the change.
GREEN background is a "preferred" partner.

Updated PQP calculator with new per-segment earning cap
Originally Posted by kevflyer
I created a updated version of the PQP calculator to handle the upcoming per segment PQP earning limits. It also calculates RDM:
https://pqp.economiles.com/

More Information on earning PQP and PQF
Earning PQP on flights ticketed and operated by a Star Alliance Partner
Members can also earn Premier qualifying points on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines. Your PQP will be equal to award miles earned divided by 5 if you’re flying on a preferred partner; for other MileagePlus partner airlines, it will be award miles earned divided by 6.

Please note award miles is your base award miles earning plus your fare class bonus award miles earning, if eligible. Premier bonus miles earned are not included within this calculation and are ineligible for Premier qualifying points accrual.

For Star Alliance airlines as well as Air Dolomiti, Azul, Eurowings, Edelweiss, and Olympic:

Preferred partner PQP: Award miles divided by 5

MileagePlus partner PQP: Award miles divided by 6

For example, if you earned 360 award miles for your flight, you’ll receive 72 PQP if you flew with a preferred partner, and 60 PQP if you flew with a MileagePlus partner.

PQP Calculator with option to apply max PQP per flight:
https://pqp.economiles.com/

For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:

MileagePlus members who purchased tickets on eligible partners prior to these new rules may submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to [email protected] with the subject line "OA PQP Review" to be considered for PQP earning under the prior rules. Receipts should not be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.

For more information on PQP accrual for a specific airline, visit our airline partner pages.

Archive: Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2024, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
Is this as painful as it sounds in the FAQ?

I have never flown a UA segment on non-016 metal before, but I have an LH stock ticket that would allow me to change the flight so that a segment is on UA (and avoid the ongoing LH strikes). Will I get shorted on PQPs though?
If you want to estimate, usually the distance ratio between the UA segment and all segments multiply by the underlying fare paid excluding taxes/fees.

I had a SK ticket last year which went from ORD-CPH to ORD-EWR-CPH because SAS temporarily stopped flying between ORD and CPH for a period of time. PQP posted as expected, along with SK flights using the distance method. I positioned from EWR to ORD, and then flew back to EWR...lol

One more cheap SK PE ticket this month. I think you have flown a bunch of those, right?
Old Mar 10, 2024, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
If you want to estimate, usually the distance ratio between the UA segment and all segments multiply by the underlying fare paid excluding taxes/fees.
Sometimes. Sometimes not. This can go in many different ways including a significant shorting of the UA flight segment. Here is a UA flight credit for BOS-LHR on a BOS-LHR-FRA 220 ticket ... and no ... it was not THAT cheap ...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Thanks for the feedback all. 'Shorted' may have been the wrong word, I was more getting at what cfischer shows above (my itinerary is P fare segments as well). It would be nice if the earnings weren't opaque.

Good information here as always, I'll ponder what to do.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:38 pm

What are “total award miles”?

I can’t figure out how my PQPs were calculated on a recent revenue flight with preferred partner VirginAustralia CNS-MEL (air distance = 1,814 miles) booked directly with VA.

I netted 72 PQP and 359 “base miles” (and also 359 “total miles earned.”)

Policy: “MileagePlus members will earn Premier qualifying point(s) equal to the total award miles earned for the flight divided by 5 if you’re flying on a preferred partner…”

It seems like the actual distance of 1,814 miles was divided by 5 to get to the 359 total miles earned and then once again divided by 5 to get to the 72 PQP.

How does this make sense?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
I can’t figure out how my PQPs were calculated on a recent revenue flight with preferred partner VirginAustralia CNS-MEL (air distance = 1,814 miles) booked directly with VA.

I netted 72 PQP and 359 “base miles” (and also 359 “total miles earned.”)

Policy: “MileagePlus members will earn Premier qualifying point(s) equal to the total award miles earned for the flight divided by 5 if you’re flying on a preferred partner…”

It seems like the actual distance of 1,814 miles was divided by 5 to get to the 359 total miles earned and then once again divided by 5 to get to the 72 PQP.

How does this make sense?
Sounds like you had a T, I, S, F or M fare, which accrues at 25%. CNS-MEL is 1432 miles (or so). 1432 x .25 = 358.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 11:10 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Is MP accrual for non-UA flights really not impacted by status?

I'm looking at a 4Y+LH flight outbound and LX+WK return. I can buy from United or from Lufthansa. I think buying from LH means I'm actually able to select seats, so I'd prefer to do that. But I don't follow the mileage accrual rules. Does a 1K really get the same miles as a Silver when buying non-UA flights on a 220 ticket?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TBD
It depends upon the partner.

Originally Posted by TBD
I'm looking at a 4Y+LH flight outbound and LX+WK return. I can buy from United or from Lufthansa. I think buying from LH means I'm actually able to select seats, so I'd prefer to do that. But I don't follow the mileage accrual rules. Does a 1K really get the same miles as a Silver when buying non-UA flights on a 220 ticket?
For LH, you'd get more redeemable miles on a 220 ticket as a 1K than as a Silver -- note "Earning Premier bonus award miles" in the list of privileges when flying LH: https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...lufthansa.html

It is present for a few partners -- mostly in LH group -- and absent for most. When that line is absent, there is no redeemable mile bonus for Premier status level.

Note that this calculation is performed after computing PQPs, though -- this ain't AA. So you'll earn the same PQP regardless of status.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by jsloan; Mar 14, 2024 at 3:30 pm Reason: Reversed Silver and 1K -- thanks TBD. :)
Old Mar 14, 2024, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by TBD
If you are referring to PQP, status does not come into play for accrual, 016 ticket, non-016 ticket, UA operated, non-UA operated, don't matter.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 2:53 pm
TBD

Originally Posted by jsloan
It depends upon the partner.

For LH, you'd get more redeemable miles on a 220 ticket as a Silver than as a 1K -- note "Earning Premier bonus award miles" in the list of privileges when flying LH: https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...lufthansa.html

It is present for a few partners -- mostly in LH group -- and absent for most. When that line is absent, there is no redeemable mile bonus for Premier status level.

Note that this calculation is performed after computing PQPs, though -- this ain't AA. So you'll earn the same PQP regardless of status.
Sorry, but I don't follow. How does a Silver earn more than a 1K?

Regardless, the bonus mile section on the LH page links to another page. The top table here applies to fare-based accrual, which I don't think applies to 220 tickets. The next statement down says to go back to the LH page for LH-specific earning details.

Or does the table beneath that govern? 25% bonus for Silver vs 100% bonus for 1K?

My concern is redeemable miles. Not PQP.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TBD
Sorry, but I don't follow. How does a Silver earn more than a 1K?
Sorry, typo on my part. I meant the opposite, as you probably guessed.

Originally Posted by TBD
Or does the table beneath that govern? 25% bonus for Silver vs 100% bonus for 1K?
Yes, that's accurate. For the partners that include that benefit, you get a status-based redeemable mile bonus of 25/50/75/100%.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TBD

Doesn't matter where you buy from wrt seats. They are either free or they are not. 220 or 016 stock does not matter at all.

25-100% bonus miles: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/bonuses.html

You definitely get that for LH and LX. 4Y used to get it, but it is no longer listed. Same is true for WK (only earn as LX anyway) ... used to earn, currently not listed. YMMV.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:28 pm
TBD

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, that's accurate. For the partners that include that benefit, you get a status-based redeemable mile bonus of 25/50/75/100%.
Ok. Thank you!

Originally Posted by cfischer
Doesn't matter where you buy from wrt seats. They are either free or they are not. 220 or 016 stock does not matter at all.
Payment isn't the issue. Last time I booked 4Y on 016, I could neither reserve a seat nor check-in online. I called and tried to pay for the seat, but Lufthansa just couldn't figure out how to do it.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:00 pm
hch

Originally Posted by TBD

I have no experience with 4Y flights on UA stock, but when you book LH flights on ua.com you see the LH booking code on the United website and can use that to open up the itinerary on lh.com. No status bonus for the PQP calculations, but you do get it for redeemable miles.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TBD
Payment isn't the issue. Last time I booked 4Y on 016, I could neither reserve a seat nor check-in online. I called and tried to pay for the seat, but Lufthansa just couldn't figure out how to do it.
OLCI restrictions can happen on any ticket stock. You 'should' be able to reserve a seat on 4Y, but admittedly I haven't tried that yet. The way the LH-group systems work this is a separate payment process that shouldn't be affected by ticket stock.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 12:13 pm
TBD

Shouldn't ... but has.

I called LH after failing to secure a seat online (I got an error, but don't remember what it was). LH agent took payment information. I didn't get the seat, though, nor was I actually charged. On check-in at the airport, I inquired on why I couldn't check-in online. I was told that's the case for all UA tickets on 4Y. This was a year ago - hopefully things have improveed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.