Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Partner ticket PQP calculator
Partner Earning

Beginning in 2020, if you fly a partner airline (not UA metal) and your ticket is on the stock of another airline (not 016 ticket), you will earn PQP as a fraction of the distance flown. That fraction is determined by your fare class, and can be found in the tables below.
The way to derive this fraction is to go to the United earnings page for your airline and determine the RDM (not PQM) earning rate for your fare class. Then divide this number by 5 for "preferred partners" and 6 otherwise.
If the fare class of a non-016 *A partner flight allows RDM earnings (and therefore PQDs), the flight also earns Premier Qualifying Flight (PQF) credit.

Preferred Partner Airlines: AC AD AV CA CM EN EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN VA WK
Other Partner Airlines (status earning): A3 AI BR ET HO LO MS OA OU OZ SA SK SQ TG TK TP ZH
Other Partner Airlines (NO Premier credit): 3M 4B 9K EI HA UK VW

Note that for the third category you will earn RDM but no PQP, regardless of ticket stock (this is no change from before when you would not earn PQM).

For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight {segment} on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:

MileagePlus members who purchased tickets on eligible partners prior to these new rules may submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to [email protected] with the subject line "OA PQP Review" to be considered for PQP earning under the prior rules. Receipts should not be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.
UA Capping PQP Earn with Partners (update -- per flight segment)

Frequently Asked Questions
What if I fly a United-operated segment on a non-United ticket? You will earn PQP equal to the portion of the fare assignable to that segment. This information is transmitted from the ticketing carrier to United, and will be a somewhat arbitrary number between 0 and the full value of the fare component which includes that segment**. (This is the same as earning PQD on such a segment today.)

**Many reports of this not working even this well, and the potential number being outside this range.

What about codeshare segments? As before, codeshares do not matter. Only the operating carrier (metal) of each segment and the stock of the ticket determine your earnings.

How do I get a non-016 ticket? Any ticket purchased directly from another airline will be a partner-issued ticket, even if it has United segments. (Any ticket purchased from United will be an 016 ticket, even if it has no United segments.) Tickets purchased from an agency will usually have a stock of the marketing carrier of the most significant segment ("first long segment" usually).

What's the trick here? Because PQP are earned as a fraction of the distance flown, flying long distances on low-priced fares can earn more PQP than dollars spent. For any given journey, you should consider where you are earning a favorable ratio of PQP to dollars of at least 1.0 when ticketing this way, and consider ticketing with United if you are not.

What about BULK fares? Bulk fares will also earn PQP by distance, as noted in the table below. This is the only way to earn by distance on United metal.

Earnings Tables
Last updated in the image on 17-Nov-23.
To use: Determine the flight miles of your trip, then multiply by the applicable percentage based on the fare class of the ticket. That is your PQP for that segment. Example: 1000 mile flight on Air Canada booked in W fare code: PQP = 1000*.15=150).

Note that values >= 20% are rounded to the nearest 1%, and smaller values are rounded to the nearest 0.1%. If precise calculations are needed, you should always use the original source material (United website).

Star Alliance Airlines
Warning: It is strongly recommended that you consult the United earnings page for your airline and confirm the earning rate here, as they have been to known to change without notice and apply retroactively to tickets purchased before the change.
Note: There are special rules for AC branded Economy fares on 014 tickets.
GREEN background is a "preferred" partner.

Other Partner Airlines (not Star Alliance)
Warning: It is strongly recommended that you consult the United earnings page for your airline and confirm the earning rate here, as they have been to known to change without notice and apply retroactively to tickets purchased before the change.
GREEN background is a "preferred" partner.

Updated PQP calculator with new per-segment earning cap
Originally Posted by kevflyer
I created a updated version of the PQP calculator to handle the upcoming per segment PQP earning limits. It also calculates RDM:
https://pqp.economiles.com/

More Information on earning PQP and PQF
Earning PQP on flights ticketed and operated by a Star Alliance Partner
Members can also earn Premier qualifying points on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines. Your PQP will be equal to award miles earned divided by 5 if you’re flying on a preferred partner; for other MileagePlus partner airlines, it will be award miles earned divided by 6.

Please note award miles is your base award miles earning plus your fare class bonus award miles earning, if eligible. Premier bonus miles earned are not included within this calculation and are ineligible for Premier qualifying points accrual.

For Star Alliance airlines as well as Air Dolomiti, Azul, Eurowings, Edelweiss, and Olympic:

Preferred partner PQP: Award miles divided by 5

MileagePlus partner PQP: Award miles divided by 6

For example, if you earned 360 award miles for your flight, you’ll receive 72 PQP if you flew with a preferred partner, and 60 PQP if you flew with a MileagePlus partner.

PQP Calculator with option to apply max PQP per flight:
https://pqp.economiles.com/

For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:

MileagePlus members who purchased tickets on eligible partners prior to these new rules may submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to [email protected] with the subject line "OA PQP Review" to be considered for PQP earning under the prior rules. Receipts should not be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.

For more information on PQP accrual for a specific airline, visit our airline partner pages.

Archive: Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Out of curiosity, does anyone really use or care about the image chart in the wiki? I'm nominally the maintainer, but I get the sense that most people use the website tool and more importantly no one really cares since with the PQP caps you can't run for status anymore.

Just getting a sense of whether it's worth updating again.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by findark
Out of curiosity, does anyone really use or care about the image chart in the wiki? I'm nominally the maintainer, but I get the sense that most people use the website tool and more importantly no one really cares since with the PQP caps you can't run for status anymore.

Just getting a sense of whether it's worth updating again.
It's occasionally a useful quick reference (nominally by color). I appreciate having it over not having it.

That being said, I think the only real viable PQP runs these days are AC/NH biz fares and maybe SK premium economy (whenever those $600 specials come up).
lamphs likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Polytonic
maybe SK premium economy (whenever those $600 specials come up).
Under $500 at one point, and ex-ORD was available too for the same as price ex-EWR, and SK added an extra UA segment (ORD-EWR) in lieu of nonstop due to temporary flight schedule adjustment back in the spring, so a few more PQP
Old Nov 1, 2023, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Polytonic
It's occasionally a useful quick reference (nominally by color). I appreciate having it over not having it.

That being said, I think the only real viable PQP runs these days are AC/NH biz fares and maybe SK premium economy (whenever those $600 specials come up).
There are a number of others, but it's not easy. Sometimes cheap bulk fare TK business can be attractive, say LAX-IST-BKK is 4k PQP but can sell for $3k or less at times.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 10:06 am

The ITA Matrix and the PQP tool have been helpful so far for predicting my PQPs through the end of the year in that the fares shown in the ITA Matrix match what I am going to book. I am about to level up, as such, I need some input, please.

Booking LH direct - SOF to DUB via MUC. It is a 'business saver' fare. Normally, I can determine the fare class with the ITA Matrix. But in this case, the published fare on the LH website is very different than the fare shown on the ITA Matrix. How can I determine the correct LH fare class prior to booking the ticket? (I gone all the way through the LH website up to pressing 'buy' and couldn't find anything except 'business saver'.)

Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by lamphs
Booking LH direct - SOF to DUB via MUC. It is a 'business saver' fare. Normally, I can determine the fare class with the ITA Matrix. But in this case, the published fare on the LH website is very different than the fare shown on the ITA Matrix. How can I determine the correct LH fare class prior to booking the ticket? (I gone all the way through the LH website up to pressing 'buy' and couldn't find anything except 'business saver'.)
There's a link that you click before you choose which fare to show booking class:

SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and lamphs like this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
PQP when flying a Star Alliance partner airline - is this correct?

According to the T&C, it appears that PQP will be equal to "award miles earned divided by 5" if you’re flying on a preferred partner

But are the "award miles" based on price , or miles flown?

Sorry if its a stupid question.

I am looking at a one-way BIZ CLASS fare on Avianca - EZE-BOG-LAX for around $1600
Old Nov 8, 2023, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by caseminole
Depends on ticket stock. if 016, based on price. if non-016, which I suspect based on that carrier/route, then miles flown by fare class multiplier, see table here:
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...s/avianca.html
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I am looking at a one-way BIZ CLASS fare on Avianca - EZE-BOG-LAX for around $1600
A discount business fare on AV EZE-BOG-LAX non-016 ticket will earn 1,276 PQP. (6,381 miles divided by 5)
caseminole likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
According to the T&C, it appears that PQP will be equal to "award miles earned divided by 5" if you’re flying on a preferred partner

Sorry if its a stupid question.

This handy dandy calculator might prve useful to you.
caseminole and goodeats21 like this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
LOVE THIS!
Old Nov 13, 2023, 9:52 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
earn pqf on eva

Hi all. I'm looking to book a ticket on EVA (mainline) directly though EVA on a non-016 ticket (I would like to book through UA, but they don't show the flights). I keep staring at UA's partner page for them (https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...s/eva-air.html) and they the award earning chart, and mention you can earn "premier qualifying credits," which I don't know exactly what that is, but the main question is if I fly a qualifying fare that earns PQD, will I also be earning the appropriate PQFs as well? It doesn't directly call that out and I can't seem to figure this out.

Update: the fare class is M on an EVA stock ticket, non-016.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yes, if the fare class earns RDMs then it will earn PQP and a PQF as well
jsloan and bob_the_d like this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by cfischer
ooh gotcha, TIL. thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
note: may be true in the OPs case, and even in most cases, but not necessarily universally true. I’ve definitely seen fares in the charts that earn RDM but not PQF. At least in the past. This is the case on some low fares on AC (or at least, used to be - I think maybe domestic Canada but maybe more than that) and I think on TK as well. Forget now, but not sure if the lowball 10% earning fares on SQ (N, for example), earn PQF either.

so there are definitely cases, even if not the norm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.