Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Devaluation UA Capping PQP Earn with Partners (update -- per flight segment)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 6, 20, 7:24 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: kevflyer
Wiki Link
More Information on earning PQP and PQF
Earning PQP on flights ticketed and operated by a Star Alliance Partner
Members can also earn Premier qualifying points on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines. Your PQP will be equal to award miles earned divided by 5 if youíre flying on a preferred partner; for other MileagePlus partner airlines, it will be award miles earned divided by 6.

Please note award miles is your base award miles earning plus your fare class bonus award miles earning, if eligible. Premier bonus miles earned are not included within this calculation and are ineligible for Premier qualifying points accrual.

For Star Alliance airlines as well as Air Dolomiti, Azul, Eurowings, Edelweiss, and Olympic:

Preferred partner PQP: Award miles divided by 5

MileagePlus partner PQP: Award miles divided by 6

For example, if you earned 360 award miles for your flight, youíll receive 72 PQP if you flew with a preferred partner, and 60 PQP if you flew with a MileagePlus partner.

PQP Calculator with option to apply max PQP per flight:
https://pqp.economiles.com/

For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:

MileagePlus members who purchased tickets on eligible partners prior to these new rules may submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to [email protected] with the subject line "OA PQP Review" to be considered for PQP earning under the prior rules. Receipts should not be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.

For more information on PQP accrual for a specific airline, visit our airline partner pages.

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 27, 20, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:

More Info on UA's webpage at https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...=feature-links and expand 'More information about earning PQF and PQP' section:

MileagePlus members who purchased tickets on eligible partners prior to these new rules may submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to [email protected] with the subject line "OA PQP Review" to be considered for PQP earning under the prior rules. Receipts should not be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.

This PQP calculator has option to apply PQP earnings cap: (disclaimer: I made it)
https://pqp.economiles.com/

Source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...r-flights-cap/

A United spokesperson confirmed that these caps apply per segment for tickets purchased through a partner. Additionally, these changes are not related to the reduced Premier qualifying thresholds for 2020, so expect them to stick around.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by kevflyer; May 6, 20 at 7:38 pm
Old Apr 27, 20, 7:26 pm
Moderator, Amtrak

Programs: AS MVP, AA Plat, DL Gold, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Wow. That nukes the MR game for MP totally.

I guess FT will rejoice. Finally, no one cheating there way to 1k!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 27, 20, 7:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Some form of change in the Partner PQP earning has long been expected -- should not be a surprise to anyone.
There were corners case earnings that were too good to be true / too good to last
At least it is not retroactive -- got one day to sneak under the wire.
Old Apr 27, 20, 7:33 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a free agent
Rumors of UA capping PQP that can be earned on partner flights, but I can't see anything official from UA on it - including clarification if the cap is based on a per segment basis or something else?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...?navtid=More-1
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Some form of change in the Partner PQP earning has long been expected -- should not be a surprise to anyone.
There were corners case earnings that were too good to be true / too good to last
Definitely - but I think most expected UA to lower multipliers or percentage on those fare classes in question, instead of a cap across the board.

Programs: UA 1K, CX Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Under the previous system the PQD waiver for overseas residents made sense. And, even though I don't really like the new PQP system, at least *A partner earnings were decent. United only has one flight that serves where I live. That flight is our lifeline to the USA, but we travel around Asia quite a bit as well, primarily on *A partners. If United had more flights available here, I would take them.

Cancelling the PQD waiver was step one in cutting status earning potential for overseas MP members. Now, this is step two.

Seems like many of us overseas MP members help keep the front cabin full on paid tickets. I wonder what we did to earn such disdain.
Old Apr 27, 20, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kevflyer View Post
For flights flown on or after July 1, 2020 OR issued on or after April 29, 2020, maximum PQP you can earn per ticket:

First / Business:
Preferred Partners: 1,500 PQP
MileagePlus partner: 1,000 PQP

Premium Econ / Economy:
Preferred Partners: 750 PQP
MileagePlus partner: 500 PQP

Source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...r-flights-cap/
Ridiculous, if true. 1000 PQP? In Business Class? Are they serious? Issued on or after 4/29 ... so time to buy some tickets tomorrow I guess! Transmission of ticketing dates will be interesting in case of schedule changes.

Nothing like tightening the rules during a major crisis ... good riddance UA.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 27, 20, 7:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by IMissThe747 View Post
..... Seems like many of us overseas MP members help keep the front cabin full on paid tickets. I wonder what we did to earn such disdain.
Perhaps a bit over the top. As many stated earlier, the original partner earnings seemed to push people to partner metal and this addresses that -- UA operated flights would now be more cost-effective for earning PQPs. This seems, from UA's perspective, a more "balanced" approach (why this was not done at the beginning is the puzzle). I could see the caps a bit higher but this does address the original program's imbalance.
Old Apr 27, 20, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
I told everyone to expect this type of anti-customer lashing out from Kirby - if this restriction is per ticket, this is so over the top, it basically blocks a UA member essentially from flying a *A partner if they have any hope of retaining status unless they are flying almost nonstop throughout the year. So, with this, I will savor my final year as a United 1K due to the extension, unless this is per segment - if it's per segment, then there still might be hope, at least for another year with potentially reduced earning requirements, then it's bon voyage and I will start burning down my UA miles and plan to use my Amex points to buy the cheapest J option where I want to travel, and keep my lifetime *G for lounge access.

If this is per ticket and not per segment, I suggest you all brace yourself for the next round of Kirby tantrums while he uses his Baldanza playbook to blame the entire coronavirus business collapse on ALL OF YOU and continue to strip away the benefits and product features he personally believes you shouldn't have as punishment for being an entitled customer. How dare you expect benefits! Off to the cargo hold with you!
BearX220, Spiff, JetBunny and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 20, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
It does suck, but admittedly one has to admit that the old rules, which would have allowed for large quantities of PQP to be racked up in other manners, was too big a loophole to last for too long.
Old Apr 27, 20, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Ouch. Cheap partner premium tickets were an easy and obvious way to exploit and circumvent the PQP scheme, for which United derived minimal benefit. I am not surprised to see this change, but the 1500 PQP cap (per ticket, per segment or per direction?) seems awfully stingy.
Old Apr 27, 20, 7:56 pm

Programs: MH, UA, Marriott & IHG Amb Plat 0MM, HH Diamond, WoH Explorist
Wow as a GUM hub captive, I felt like *A partner earning was the only way to subsidize qualifying for non-Micronesia/NA-SA flights. It made sense that at the time AA was the only one of the three to not waive MQD requirements since the other two flew to GUM. Now that DL pulled out, UA removed the PQD for 2020 which made sense with the monopoly, but I guess itís not surprising for UA to go the extra mile with another set restrictions. #rewarded #UAMPhooksmeup
Old Apr 27, 20, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CX Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Nothing like tightening the rules during a major crisis ...
This does seem to be extremely odd timing for a devaluation. But then again, what would I know about business strategy at major airlines anyways?
Old Apr 27, 20, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin View Post
I guess FT will rejoice. Finally, no one cheating there way to 1k!
Well, I don't know if I'll rejoice but I am happy for the change. It didn't make sense to me that in the latest program changes, United made it MORE rewarding to fly with their partners than on United itself. As a near-exclusive domestic 1K, I was scratching my head a bit. After all, here on FT it didn't even take a day after the new rules were released for people to "crack the code" and brag about how they'd be buying all their previous-United travel on partner airlines now.

In every scheme it seems like there are winners and losers. I guess I'm a winner because I buy almost only United tickets and fly almost only on United metal. But shouldn't the goal of United's loyalty program be to, oh I don't know, reward loyalty to United? And they can offer some side benefit to those involved in partner schemes, but those side benefits certainly don't seem like they should be more lucrative than the benefits to the core customers...
Old Apr 27, 20, 8:26 pm

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Lifetime: UA United Club, UA 540K mi., AA Admirals Club & Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Good word, UA. Praise!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: