Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will you do anything if someone crushed your “poor man's biz class seat"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will you do anything if someone crushed your “poor man's biz class seat"?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
I'm confused or am misreading. In both cases above you have a booked middle seat so why would anyone be assigned to it?
I think it’s a typo and should read:

“Instead of booking a window and a middle, we always book a window and an aisle”
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by kilo
It sounds like you are seeking to sit next to the most obnoxious person you can find!
It's a short 45 minute ride so I can deal with it for that short period. I do agree that doing that and spending 3 hours with them could be uncomfortable.

On another note, I was thinking that the aisle seems to create a false sence of entitlement to anything vacent in that cluster. The person sitting in F with DE open is no more (un)entitled to those two seats and someone in B with AC occupied, or in D one row in front or behind, or anywhere else in the cabin (baring the whole E+ vs E- situation). One fare, one seat. However, I'm not sugesting that others have the right to arbitairly switch seats on their own.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
More importantly, what value does knowing/not-knowing how 27AB got occupied add to the story?

The answer is... none.
The value is huge, since NON-REVs are last to got their BPs, that's how this drama happened.
27C has her own row -> 27AB were cleared right before the door was closed -> 27C was ready to enjoy her HFC but suddenly found 2 new neighbors -> 27C moved to 27D within few minutes.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gokeeper
The value is huge, since NON-REVs are last to got their BPs, that's how this drama happened.
27C has her own row -> 27AB were cleared right before the door was closed -> 27C was ready to enjoy her HFC but suddenly found 2 new neighbors
Exactly what happened to me on a red-eye SFO-EWR a few weeks ago. Had 22 J/K/L all to myself until after I'd already boarded and 2 Non-rev's got dumped into J/K. Few minutes later I got bumped to Business so all's well that ends well..
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
What is the beef with "NON-REVS"? They earned that right. It sounds like they are freeloaders. They are not. It is part of working for an airline and one of the benefits they get.

I do not work for any airline.

Take your assigned seat and enjoy what you paid for.
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gokeeper
27C has her own row -> 27AB were cleared right before the door was closed -> 27C was ready to enjoy her HFC but suddenly found 2 new neighbors -> 27C moved to 27D within few minutes.
could be a standby pax, or someone displaced from another flight, or a request to sit together, or a last minute walk up sale ....
nonrev has nothing to do with this.

I don’t work for the airlines but don’t believe at all in treating employees like they don’t matter. They do and deserve the same respect as ANY passenger on the plane.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Was flying delta redeye las-atl, full flight and I was on basic economy. I was thrilled to see I had a window seat even though it was last row of the section.
I realized boarding was coming to a close and the 2 seats next to me were open, I quickly moved to center seat and put bag on aisle and started pulling stuff out with a frustrated look on my face. As soon as they closed the doors, I put my bag under seat, loosened seatbelt to max size, wrapped the 3 blankets around the window armrest and went full vertical. I fell asleep while taxiing and woke up once 75% of people deaned.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:39 am
BJM

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by kettle1
What is the beef with "NON-REVS"? They earned that right. It sounds like they are freeloaders. They are not. It is part of working for an airline and one of the benefits they get.

I do not work for any airline.

Take your assigned seat and enjoy what you paid for.
To be pedantic: Non-Reving is a privilege, not a right.

As for the main topic, yes, take the open seat. Just ask before you put your bag under the center seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.