FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Will you do anything if someone crushed your “poor man's biz class seat"? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1991842-will-you-do-anything-if-someone-crushed-your-poor-mans-biz-class-seat.html)

gokeeper Oct 18, 2019 9:28 am

Will you do anything if someone crushed your “poor man's biz class seat"?

Observed this very interesting scenario onboard a PMUA 3cls 772. 27ABC were all occupied while 27DE were empty, the passenger in 27C moved to 27D as soon as the boarding was completed. Of course the passenger in 27G was not happy and shook his head but didn't say or do anything.
So I am curious will you do anything if this happened to you?
:rolleyes:

notquiteaff Oct 18, 2019 9:34 am

What did 27A and 27B think or do? I assume 27B moved to 27C?

IMO, four people with an empty middle seat beats one person with a “poor man’s biz seat”.

gokeeper Oct 18, 2019 9:36 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 31641952)
What did 27A and 27B think or do? I assume 27B moved to 27C?

I just checked, the answer is yes. :p
To add more context, 27C had her own row before these 2 NON-REV cleared into 27AB.:rolleyes:

drowelf Oct 18, 2019 9:37 am

Absolutely not. I've done the same thing myself and had it happen to me too.

Once on a SFO->SIN MR I had the middle 3 on a 787 all to myself. As the doors closed the guy from the row in front hopped back to the other free aisle. I'm sure he really appreciated being able to do that, as he was about 6' 8" and had a bit more leg room by being able to use the center seat under seat for one of his legs. And of course, the middle in that row promptly did a shift right to take the freed up aisle.

cpdc1030 Oct 18, 2019 9:39 am

No one has the right to a "poor man's business seat". The pax should just be happy the middle was empty - that makes all the difference to me, as there's no one disturbing you fidgeting or needing to get up. On a flight like SFO-SIN it can mean about 3-4 hours more sleep for me.

The only time I would speak up is if it was truly a weird switch, like if someone moved from another empty row to sit next to / adjacent to me.

docbert Oct 18, 2019 9:39 am

Originally Posted by gokeeper (Post 31641932)
Observed this very interested scenario onboard a PMUA 3cls 772. 27ABC were all occupied while 27DE werw empty, the passenger in 27C moved to 27D as soon as the boarding was completed. Of course the passenger in 27G was not happy and shook his head but didn't say or do anything.

27G is a rookie.

Anyone with experience of Hobo First Class knows that the trick is to move to the middle seat (27E in this case, 27F not existing on these 3-3-3 layouts). This significantly reduces the chances of someone else deciding either of the remaining two seats are better than theirs (or at least, someone on the aisle already, which are the people most likely to move)

JimInOhio Oct 18, 2019 9:41 am

Originally Posted by gokeeper (Post 31641932)
Observed this very interested scenario onboard a PMUA 3cls 772. 27ABC were all occupied while 27DE werw empty, the passenger in 27C moved to 27D as soon as the boarding was completed. Of course the passenger in 27G was not happy and shook his head but didn't say or do anything.
So I am curious will you do anything if this happened to you?
:rolleyes:

I would never complain about that, assuming the one moving was already in E+.

kale73 Oct 18, 2019 9:46 am

I'd have an issue if B & C occupied D & E so that A could have the "poor man's biz class"; otherwise, I'd likely suggest that C move to D (after boarding is completed and clearing the move with a flight attendant, the PIC, and Scott Kirby's personal assistant, of course ;)) so that everyone sitting in the row can be equally uncomfortable.

sinoflyer Oct 18, 2019 9:46 am

Too bad, so sad. I’ve been that guy in 21C before and I wouldn’t feel the slightest hesitation to move to 21D after the doors have been closed. 21G can shake their head all they want, but those other 3 seats are not theirs, and other fellow pax should feel free to “spread themselves across the cabin and make themselves more comfortable” if they so choose.

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 31641968)
... the trick is to move to the middle seat (27E in this case)

^

That would be my play as well. :)

kale73 Oct 18, 2019 9:50 am

Originally Posted by cpdc1030 (Post 31641967)
The only time I would speak up is if it was truly a weird switch, like if someone moved from another empty row to sit next to / adjacent to me.

I'd say the odds are that >1 long-term relationship started with a similar "move". :-:

Kmxu Oct 18, 2019 10:07 am

I would say "I am sorry that you have to sit on your assigned seat." to the intruder :(

drewguy Oct 18, 2019 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 31642076)
I would say "I am sorry that you have to sit on your assigned seat." to the intruder :(

That works out well when you lie down and they use a similar retort.

I'd be disappointed, but agree with others that when everyone gets an empty middle it's a better outcome. (And if I were in 27B I'd be chafed if 27C didn't move . . . )

HoustonConsultant Oct 18, 2019 10:26 am

Originally Posted by kale73 (Post 31642014)
I'd say the odds are that >1 long-term relationship started with a similar "move". :-:

As well as more than one restraining order.

John Aldeborgh Oct 18, 2019 10:36 am

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 31642126)
That works out well when you lie down and they use a similar retort.

I'd be disappointed, but agree with others that when everyone gets an empty middle it's a better outcome. (And if I were in 27B I'd be chafed if 27C didn't move . . . )

If I were in 27B, I'd be the one to move and not take the risk the open aisle seat gets taken before 27C acts.

757FO Oct 18, 2019 10:36 am

Originally Posted by gokeeper (Post 31641960)
I just checked, the answer is yes. :p
To add more context, 27C had her own row before these 2 NON-REV cleared into 27AB.:rolleyes:

Out of curiosity, how do you know they were Non-Rev?