Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sorry for Your Loss - A Forum for Those About to Lose Premier Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Hey FTers,

I like much of the international UA community was surprised to learn about the exciting "enhancements" for the MP program year starting 2020 (for qualification in 2021). It looks like unless I manage to do find some crazy fares off UA metal, I won't be hitting Premier 1K as originally intended. The five stages of grief & loss are : denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. I'm somewhere between steps 4 and 5 .

The purpose of this forum is to share some light-hearted discussion about what it was like being Premier now that many of us won't be Premiers anymore never mind flying on UA metal back in the good ol' days and to discuss what strategies (if any) us international travellers can do to maintain recognition with airlines in general.

My highlights from flying CoUniHound as Premier Gold over the past 2 and a half years:
  • Being able to check in 3 bags on UA flights whilst I moved from Canada to the UK
  • Same day changes when the conference I went to stretched on to the following day
  • Cutting off kettles whilst boarding at the last minute on an international flight, thereby guaranteeing overhead bin space whilst avoiding catching a nasty case of gate lice.
  • Access to Lufthansa lounges whilst travelling on EuroWings Basic fares in Germany.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:57 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I moved over to OZ a long time ago, so whatever you guys are "mourning" now doesn't affect me. However, I am not sure if being "liberated" from UA is necessarily a bad thing, though.

LAX
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I moved to AS and partners which have been great for me. I’m posting this from an AS flight right now (the WiFi works).
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
I hate to be the contrarian -- I'm sure the loss of lounge access on eurowings basic fares is going to sting, but as to the rest of it I don't believe you've lost a thing:

Originally Posted by j2simpso
  • Being able to check in 3 bags on UA flights whilst I moved from Canada to the UK
You can still do this. It just costs money. It's very possible that that flight from Canada to the UK would have been cheaper on OAL anyways, including all bags.

• Same day changes when the conference I went to stretched on to the following day
$75 for Silver and below when flying UA.

• Cutting off kettles whilst boarding at the last minute on an international flight, thereby guaranteeing overhead bin space whilst avoiding catching a nasty case of gate lice.
Cutting people off? Could buy J (or anything other than BE). Or just DYKWIA your way up there.
Santander likes this.

Last edited by onthesam; Oct 12, 2019 at 4:29 pm
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by LAX
I moved over to OZ a long time ago, so whatever you guys are "mourning" now doesn't affect me. However, I am not sure if being "liberated" from UA is necessarily a bad thing, though.

LAX
I recently found out that OZ has a 2 year qualification period which is based on your signup date and NOT the calendar year. So in theory, if you earn Diamond which is their equivalent to *Gold during your first year, you'll have that status for 3 more YEARS! But in the end, I'll be sticking around with MP.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by seat38a
I recently found out that OZ has a 2 year qualification period which is based on your signup date and NOT the calendar year. So in theory, if you earn Diamond which is their equivalent to *Gold during your first year, you'll have that status for 3 more YEARS! But in the end, I'll be sticking around with MP.
Yes, indeed, I routinely re-qualify faster for Diamond so get the status for 3+ years.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: All the programs!
It seems United doesn't value international customers anymore.

OZ's program is unique like that.

Last edited by oopl; Oct 12, 2019 at 9:37 pm
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I reduced my flying and lost UA G status after 10 years of loving it, esp for LH SEN access.

I prefer flying less, on airline schedules that work for me, than trying to maintain status. I still fly UAL at times.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
A few years ago after 8 consecutive years as a 1K (mid 90s to early 2000s), when I changed my job so I could stay home to be with my young kids as they grow up.

I did not miss my status one bit and was glad to have the quality time watching my kids growing up. I did not miss the status because I was not really flying. Status only means something when one has to travel frequently for work or for personal reasons.

We all have to make choices but I still think losing frequent flyer status is really not that significant in the grand scheme of things. May be it is time to think about what is important in life than achieving frequent flyer status.

This is probably not a right place to express my personal view on this topic, but I would not care less about using my GS status if I have the opportunity to change job to spend time on the ground working around my house, get into my former marathon running shape, and explore all the things I missed doing when I had a job with no travels. 400K BIS a year for the past 10 years has not been kind to body and mind.
yytleisure likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: AC P25
Hey FTers,

I like much of the international UA community was surprised to learn about the exciting "enhancements" for the MP program year starting 2020 (for qualification in 2021). It looks like unless I manage to do find some crazy fares off UA metal, I won't be hitting Premier 1K as originally intended. The five stages of grief & loss are : denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. I'm somewhere between steps 4 and 5 .

The purpose of this forum is to share some light-hearted discussion about what it was like being Premier now that many of us won't be Premiers anymore never mind flying on UA metal back in the good ol' days and to discuss what strategies (if any) us international travellers can do to maintain recognition with airlines in general.

My highlights from flying CoUniHound as Premier Gold over the past 2 and a half years:
  • Access to Lufthansa lounges whilst travelling on EuroWings Basic fares in Germany.

Safe Travels,

James
It’s maybe a decade too late to be all excited and dewey eyed about “loyalty” programs. It used to be a reward for time spent flying and meant you spent your time in a plane.

Today it is literally bought. So touting your status and looking down on kettles and lice is like parking your Rolls next to a Chevy and making ridiculous comments about your superiority.

Very crass and unbecoming.
iluv2fly, chavala, m.y and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.