Business saver awards to Australia/New Zealand

Old Aug 18, 19, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Business saver awards to Australia/New Zealand

I would like to know the availability of good business saver award tickets for flights from Chicago (ORD) to New Zealand or Australia, preferably non-stop, during the first quarter of 2019 (Planning for a week trip and pretty flexible from January to late April 2020. Those destinations have been on my radar for a while and I couldn't easily find business saver award tickets though I have heard a lot that many had those nice trips.

I have over 300K ultimate rewards points and over 50K points in my United account.

PS: If neither Australia/NZ is available on business saver awards, I am open for suggestions to Africa/Europe destinations as well.
Old Aug 18, 19, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
There are no non-stops between ORD and Australia, and only one (ORD-AKL, on NZ) to New Zealand. My understanding is that NZ doesn't really release award space on its own metal, so you are most likely going to have to look at ORD-SFO-AKL, if you want to go to New Zealand, or ORD-IAH/LAX/SFO-SYD (for Sydney) or ORD-LAX/SFO-MEL (for Melbourne). Generally speaking, the further away from peak season you are, the better - I would think that you should find some availability if you check late April out.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Aug 18, 19, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat
Try looking IAH-SYD. When you find something change search to ORD-SYD. It may/may not come up. Might have to buy separate ORD-IAH seat. That is what I often have to do from EWR.

Use the same logic for other flights - check the non-stop first then try and add on the connection.
CREN, AirbusFan2B and kirkwoodj like this.

Last edited by dogloverjb; Aug 18, 19 at 7:40 am Reason: adding info
Old Aug 18, 19, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
Originally Posted by good_boy_1234 View Post
I would like to know the availability of good business saver award tickets for flights from Chicago (ORD) to New Zealand or Australia, preferably non-stop, during the first quarter of 2019 (Planning for a week trip and pretty flexible from January to late April 2020...
A few things to consider:
1- Jan, Feb is still high season for NZ so keep that in mind
2- If you're able to find business seats on Air NZ it'll most likely be close in ... 0-1.5 months out
3- UA awards go dynamic in Nov so expect to spend more miles beginning in Nov
4- If you only have a week I'd pick either NZ or UA

In June I booked an Mar/Apr 2020 award to Western Australia for a week+ and then back through NZ for another week+ before back tracking to SYD and then back to IAD via IAH. I was able to get IAH-SYD, SYD-IAH in Business.

During my search, I found the following long segments available in Business
Found the most hits
IAH-SYD, SYD-IAH
YVR-SYD, SYD-YVR

Some hits but fewer
LAX/SFO-SYD, SYD-LAX/SFO
ORD-HND-SYD, SYD-HND-ORD

Close in only
LAX/SFO-AKL, AKL-LAX/SFO

As doglover states ... search for one ways and stitch them together ... search for the long business segments first. Expect to be in coach for the first/last segments, UA opens up very few domestic Business awards. Be flexible.

Let us know what you find
narvik, AirbusFan2B and Mwenenzi like this.
Old Aug 18, 19, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
There are no non-stops between ORD and Australia, and only one (ORD-AKL, on NZ) to New Zealand. My understanding is that NZ doesn't really release award space on its own metal, so you are most likely going to have to look at ORD-SFO-AKL, if you want to go to New Zealand, or ORD-IAH/LAX/SFO-SYD (for Sydney) or ORD-LAX/SFO-MEL (for Melbourne). Generally speaking, the further away from peak season you are, the better - I would think that you should find some availability if you check late April out.

​​​​Actually, there will supposedly be a direct flight between BNE and ORD starting Apr 2020. Not sure if this will help OP, but figured I'd mention it.
Old Aug 18, 19, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott TE, National EE, Hertz PC, Global Entry/TSA-Pre, APEC BTC
Originally Posted by EtoileFilante View Post
​​​​Actually, there will supposedly be a direct flight between BNE and ORD starting Apr 2020. Not sure if this will help OP, but figured I'd mention it.
Where did you hear this? Will they also add a direct SFO-BNE?
Old Aug 18, 19, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by unitedhandcuffs View Post
Where did you hear this? Will they also add a direct SFO-BNE?
Pretty sure that would be QF doing the route first, not UA.
Old Aug 18, 19, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Yes, and QF is notoriously tight with premium class award space.
Old Aug 18, 19, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EtoileFilante View Post

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes, and QF is notoriously tight with premium class award space.
And Air NZ is a lot less generous for long haul award availability than QF.
Premium awards USA<===>Au/NZ are hard to get
Keep looking and be very flexible with routes/dates/destination. No need to fly the same airport pairs both ways.

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia
  • Air Canada AC (YVR – SYD BNE MEL) [Star Alliance]
  • Air New Zealand NZ (LAX SFO ORD IAH YVR via AKL) [Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN (LAX – via Tahiti & AKL. Last segments on QF codeshares) (AA & DL partner)
  • American Airlines AA (LAX - SYD) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner)
  • Delta DL (LAX – SYD) (VA & AS partner) [Skyteam Alliance]
  • Fiji Airways FJ (LAX SFO HNL – BNE SYD MEL via Fiji) (QF, AA & AS partner) [NAN-ADL ceased 20 July 2019]
  • Hawaiian HA (HNL – BNE SYD) (AA & VA partner)
  • Jetstar JQ (HNL – BNE SYD MEL)
  • Qantas QF (LAX SFO JFK(via LAX) DFW HNL YVR* – SYD; LAX, SFO*, ORD* - BNE; LAX SFO - MEL) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner) {* seasonal}{*BNE ORD from 20 April, 2020, *BNE SFO from 5 Feb 2020}
  • United UA (LAX - MEL, LAX SFO IAH – SYD) (SFO - MEL from 20 Oct 2019)[Star Alliance].Reduced service IAH-SYD & LAX-SYD March 29 through October 25
  • Virgin Australia VA (LAX – BNE SYD MEL) (codeshares with AC*) (DL & AC* partner) [*= some routes in 2017-18 link]
  • and others via Asia & Middle East

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from New Zealand are (not from all airports to all airports)
  • American Airlines AA (LAX - AKL) [Oneworld Alliance] (AS partner). Suspended April through October for 2018.
  • Air Canada AC (YVR – AKL)(seasonal from 12 Dec 2019 to end March 2020) [Star Alliance]
  • Air New Zealand NZ (LAX SFO ORD IAH YVR - AKL) [Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN (LAX - AKL via Tahiti) (AA & DL partner)
  • Fiji Airways FJ (LAX SFO HNL - AKL WLG CHC via Fiji) (QF AA & AS partner)
  • Hawaiian HA (HNL - AKL)(AA & VA partner)
  • Qantas QF (LAX SFO DFW JFK HNL YVR* via SYD BNE & MEL) [Oneworld Alliance] (AS partner) {* seasonal}
  • United UA (SFO - AKL) [Star Alliance]
  • Virgin Australia VA (LAX via BNE, MEL & SYD) (DL partner)
  • And others via Australia, Asia & Middle East
Old Aug 18, 19, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys...found some nonstop from IAH to Syd...but was unable to find any non stop -business saver- for ORD or IAH to NZ!!!
Old Aug 18, 19, 8:57 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Thanks guys...found some nonstop from IAH to Syd...but was unable to find any non stop -business saver- for ORD or IAH to NZ!!!
I'd check ex-YVR. UA is currently subject to the dynamic pricing; partners are not. Try to book partners only as long as you can until they start charging more for those too.

Chris
Old Aug 19, 19, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ord or IAH to NZ:- That's on Air New Zealand, so situation normal.
Do not expect/hope that Air NZ will offer awards.
Extremely small chance they may offer a few days/weeks before, but unlikely.

If you can find an award to/from one country just buy a flight from one to the other.
The trans Tasman flights NZ<---> Aust are from/to many airports, by several airlines, take ~3:30hr.
Old Aug 19, 19, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
NZ releases long-haul I space starting 90 days from departure, and usually only in the southern winter.
Old Aug 19, 19, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO View Post
I'd check ex-YVR. UA is currently subject to the dynamic pricing; partners are not. Try to book partners only as long as you can until they start charging more for those too.

Chris
I'd second this. I just booked three saver J awards on AC starting MEL-YVR-XXX for next summer, and there were routings through ORD with the YVR-ORD leg on both UA and AC metal. I like the AC 787-9 1-2-1 J cabin hard product far, far better than the UA 2-2-2 J cabin they have on the Australia 787 routes. Soft product is about the same as on UA.
Old Oct 12, 19, 7:34 pm

Programs: United
I would like to know the availability of good business saver award tickets for flights from Chicago (ORD) to New Zealand or Australia, preferably non-stop, during the first quarter of 2019 (Planning for a week trip and pretty flexible from January to late April 2020. Those destinations have been on my radar for a while and I couldn't easily find business saver award tickets though I have heard a lot that many had those nice trips.

I have over 300K ultimate rewards points and over 50K points in my United account.

PS: If neither Australia/NZ is available on business saver awards, I am open for suggestions to Africa/Europe destinations as well.
I just got a biz saver award one way from EWR to AKL Feb 23rd 2020 for 80,000 united miles (which is all I have) - economy from EWR to SFO and business class from SFO to AKL. I don't know anything about miles or what they may or may not be worth but it seemed like a good deal so i snagged it. I could never afford to buy a business class ticket to NZ. I'm currently online buying a one way back from AKL to the US via Air NZ website and will upgrade to skycouch hopefully for about $1,400.

Search this Thread