Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) & Arrivals Lounge Discussion[Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an Archive thread, the active thread is LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) and Arrivals Lounge Discussion Thread

related thread: Consolidated connection time/logistics at LHR

Comparative Review of Five Different Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow T2

Arrival Lounge Hours 5 AM - 2 PM
United Club Hours 5 AM - 10 PM
Global First Class Lounge Hours 5 AM - 10 PM
Print Wikipost

LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) & Arrivals Lounge Discussion[Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by mmthomps
We are flying #934 LAX-LHR next week in BF; plane is due to arrive LHR at 12:20. A friend will pick us up later in the afternoon. So to clarify: can we use the arrivals lounge to wait for him for a couple of hours? Does the lounge still close at 2:30 p.m.?

Also, the UAL website says: The arrivals facility at London Heathrow is a shared space and provides access only to certain customers traveling on a same-day ticket arriving before noon. So, will that effectively render us ineligible to enter the lounge?

Finally, if we have checked bags, I assume we pick them up (and pass through passport control, etc.) before we get to the lounge, right?

Thanks, all.
You'll be fine arriving at 12:20. The arrivals lounge closes at 2. I know the paperwork says must arrive by noon, but I think that's just padding.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
LHR T2 Arrivals Lounge

I will be flying J from EWR-LHR, connecting to an EI flight to SNN. I am also a VISA MileagePlus Club cardholder. I will stop at the Arrivals Lounge for my shower, but my question is food related. Will I be fed well enough in Arrivals or will I find better food in the UC during my 3.5 hours between flights. Can't remember the last time I used UA Arrivals in LHR. Most of my experience was T4 with CO or the very fine VS Revivals.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by JerseySlime
I will be flying J from EWR-LHR, connecting to an EI flight to SNN. I am also a VISA MileagePlus Club cardholder. I will stop at the Arrivals Lounge for my shower, but my question is food related. Will I be fed well enough in Arrivals or will I find better food in the UC during my 3.5 hours between flights. Can't remember the last time I used UA Arrivals in LHR. Most of my experience was T4 with CO or the very fine VS Revivals.
There is a "To Order" menu and a counter spread, mostly breakfast-oriented. UC spread not bad either. I have posted pics of all these including the menu way upthread somewhere, also on Loungebuddy app. Do keep in mind that UC is out in T2B, and your EI flight will almost certainly leave from T2A, so that's almost 30min of your 3.5hrs going out to UC and back. If you're Star Gold, just use the LH lounge in T2A instead.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:02 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
If you're Star Gold, just use the LH lounge in T2A instead.
I doubt if access to the LH lounge is possible unless departing on a *A flight and EI isn't in *A. Some LH lounges allow access by arriving passengers (if the layout of the airport allows it) but you have to be LH *G.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I doubt if access to the LH lounge is possible unless departing on a *A flight and EI isn't in *A. Some LH lounges allow access by arriving passengers (if the layout of the airport allows it) but you have to be LH *G.
Oh yeah, duh. Didn't think about that since T2 is otherwise *A stronghold
Have a nice hike!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
"Do keep in mind that UC is out in T2B, and your EI flight will almost certainly leave from T2A, so that's almost 30min of your 3.5hrs going out to UC and back."

That is correct. The most important factor is what terminals you are landing at and taking off from, and there is a long walk from 2B to 2A, even though you do not have to pass through security between the two (you will have gone through passport control already in the transfer process). There is also a UA arrivals lounge outside of security, but if connecting in T2, I think you should be considering the T2B one. I certainly would avoid going in and out of security again if possible. However, it is certainly doable on a layover of that length, with showers in the UC as the important thing, but the food is of the eggs/sausage variety in the AM - plenty substantial for me. I have also used the Plaza Premium lounge in 2A (accessible with the Amex Plat and PP Select) with similar food. The United Club mileageplus card will get you into LH in 2A (or other Star Alliance lounges), but only if departing on a Star Alliance flight. The LH lounge looks good in reviews and pictures, but which I have not been to yet (maybe I will drop by in a few months when connecting to Brussels Air). but there are other nice lounges accessible with the UC and Amex Plat cards such as Skyteam in T4 (very nice, usable with PPS). The loungebuddy app is a great help with this.

Last edited by Artpen100; Mar 25, 2015 at 8:09 am
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:05 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by Artpen100
The United Club mileageplus card will get you into LH in 2A on departure, which also looks good in reviews and pictures, but which I have not been to yet (maybe I will drop by in a few months).
As I posted already *G cannot access the LH lounge unless they have a BP for a departing *A flight.

... there are other nice lounges accessible with the UC and Amex Plat cards such as Skyteam in T4 (very nice, usable with PPS) as well as Air Canada in 2B.
Lounges in another terminal are out of the question (unless they are landside) at LHR.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Similar rule for the club card, but Star Alliance departure is only required for non-UC lounges like LH, not for UC lounges. Duly clarified.

Also, access depends on what terminals you are connecting through. For example, if arriving UA and continuing on to Paris on AF on a separate ticket, that will likely be Terminal 4. Have to go through security again, and separate ticketing is risky, but, again, you really have to figure out what terminals you will be connecting through first, and then evaluate lounge access after doing that.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Artpen100
Also, access depends on what terminals you are connecting through. For example, if arriving UA and continuing on to Paris on AF on a separate ticket, that will likely be Terminal 4. Have to go through security again, and separate ticketing is risky, but, again, you really have to figure out what terminals you will be connecting through first, and then evaluate lounge access after doing that.
Sorry to sound pedantic but if departing/connecting from another terminal at LHR (e.g. T4) you will not be able to go into the departure area of T2 where all (departure) lounges are located without a BP for a flight departing from T2. It doesn't matter whether you have one or separate tickets.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Sorry to sound pedantic but if departing/connecting from another terminal at LHR (e.g. T4) you will not be able to go into the departure area of T2 where all (departure) lounges are located without a BP for a flight departing from T2. It doesn't matter whether you have one or separate tickets.
Actually it is possible to move between some of the terminals if you know what you're doing!

Can't get into T5 though. And you'll go through security again.

You will not be entitled to lounge access in the wrong terminal.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, CX Gold
Still no news on when Singapore's lounge will open in T2? I am travelling through T2 to Beijing on CA's First Class. Looking forward to trying out the GFL (I presume there are shower facilities there, rather than sharing woth UC?) would be nice to compare SIN lounge too if it's open.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by whole9yards
Still no news on when Singapore's lounge will open in T2? I am travelling through T2 to Beijing on CA's First Class. Looking forward to trying out the GFL (I presume there are shower facilities there, rather than sharing woth UC?) would be nice to compare SIN lounge too if it's open.
Might be best to ask that in the Singapore Air / Krisflyer forum. They know stuff.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Might be best to ask that in the Singapore Air / Krisflyer forum. They know stuff.
+1 - was in T2 yesterday - no SIN lounge yet - and tried out th LH lounge just for fun and found it was packed (senator and business) but food and drink were really good - just too crowded for my taste....
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by whole9yards
Looking forward to trying out the GFL (I presume there are shower facilities there, rather than sharing woth UC?) would be nice to compare SIN lounge too if it's open.
Yes they have their own shower rooms. I, too, keep heading over & checking if SQ lounge open yet, otherwise wouldn't be there, as not terribly impressed with AC lounge (compared to GFL!)
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
+1 - was in T2 yesterday - no SIN lounge yet - and tried out th LH lounge just for fun and found it was packed (senator and business) but food and drink were really good - just too crowded for my taste....
The UA lounge was packed yesterday also. I think there were some late flights or something, so had to share a table for two with someone else. Despite this, it's still so much better than UCs in the USA (which always seem to be more crowded than the terminal proper) and the BA Galleries Clubs at LHR which are almost standing room only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.