Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by villox
It shouldn’t be surprising I guess that once they turned 1K into GS-lite for preboarding that they were eventually going to have to cull the herd.
lol
Preboarding was one of the weakest benefits to 1Ks.
Some didn't even consider it a benefit at all.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
UA site is stating:
"For ticket numbers beginning with 016, MileagePlus members will earn Premier qualifying point(s) equal to the fare (1) (2) (3) (4)"

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ng-credit.html

According to footnote 1:
"Fare classes A, B, C, D, E, H, J, M, P, Q, S, T, U, V, W, Y and Z are eligible for accrual."

So no PQP for Economy K / G flights - at least when flying on partner airlines?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nall
Nah, all those folks who buy high-value tickets a few times a year will just not be blocked by PQM anymore.
That will still be an effective thinning. Yes, there are a few people who are buying $24K of tickets and not flying 66K miles to do so, but by definition those people are hardly flying and will have no impact on other 1K's (e.g. for upgrades) because they're buying the most expensive fares at the front of the plane on the rare occasion that they fly.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
No it just needs to be UA operated. But there's no earning advantage to ticketing it on a partner.
Oh I am no longer going to be tied to 016 as a result of these changes - I will want to use my PlusPoints next year and then will be a free agent.

So my questions were geared to understanding when I need to buy an 016 ticket (not needed @:-)) and whether to keep the United CC (not needed @:-)).

I have been a very loyal 1K member but will not be able to meet the new requirements and it will be very liberating as I do fly OALs.

It is interesting as I actually thought PlusPoints was a great incentive to remain with United, and Premier Plus is a great choice for flying but these new qualification requirements just removed the last vestige of loyalty for this 1K flyer - it was good while it lasted. Looking forward to 2020 as my last year as a 1K. Wonder what the next recession will bring United....

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Oct 11, 2019 at 1:43 am
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Air Canada, with 200% earning on any business class fare, may see a surge in bookings from people who don't mind bruised kneecaps and shins.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by narvik
lol
Preboarding was one of the weakest benefits to 1Ks.
Some didn't even consider it a benefit at all.
Are you kidding? Ever since they switched to 1K pre-boarding instead of 1K being part of Group 1, it has been excellent. The only time it doens't work out great is if the GA starts boarding early and they're halfway through group 2 before i get to the gate.
cawhite, surram and SFO_LOW_CLOUDS like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, I mean, it's all in the way you look at things. The DL system is based on actual miles, not including any fare class bonus. So a 40% MQM factor is identical to UA's 5:1 ratio on a 200% RDM earning class. The problem is that discount business class doesn't accrue at a 200% rate on many UA partners.
That's my point. DL is more generous if you're trying to EQD run.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by GRB051111
I'm pretty sure the 5 and 6 are calibrated to keep elite populations the same-ish, including intl ones.
I'm sure they think so, and have modeled everything on current consumer behaviour. What they don't know is how people will respond, and the quality of output from their models will depend on the quality of assumptions built in. I'm sure they believe they have this worked out. I'm less sure that they actually do.
narvik and DCFlyIAD like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: UA GS
Just noticed that they’re giving an extra GPU-equivalent if you make 1K based on spend.

The PlusPoints change does make expensive biz tickets more valuable now since they’re also handing out another GPU every $6,000.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cricketer
I'm sure they think so, and have modeled everything on current consumer behaviour. What they don't know is how people will respond, and the quality of output from their models will depend on the quality of assumptions built in. I'm sure they believe they have this worked out. I'm less sure that they actually do.
We're in the FT echo chamber. In the real world, the number of customers who will even be aware of this loophole is just very very small. Otherwise DL would not still be offering 40% EQD on deep discount partner business class.
Originally Posted by villox
The PlusPoints change does make expensive biz tickets more valuable now since they’re also handing out another GPU every $6,000.
Yes. Notwithstanding all the sky is falling commentary on the new upgrade scheme, GS will make out just fine in the new system.
cricketer and GRB051111 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
This change is pretty frustrating for me, and I guess 2020 will be my last year as 1K. I'm at 110k miles, ~18k spend, and 78 segments for the year and my resolution for next year is to NOT be on a plane and away from home every week, so I just can't see hitting the 54 segments OR the spend they want. Thanks, United - it's been fun /s
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by delpiero223
According to footnote 1:
"Fare classes A, B, C, D, E, H, J, M, P, Q, S, T, U, V, W, Y and Z are eligible for accrual."

So no PQP for Economy K / G flights - at least when flying on partner airlines?
L and R are also missing from that list. It’s either a mistake — like the missing G fare on the initial +P rollout turned out to be — or it’s a pretty massive devaluation for anyone on discount economy or PE fares.

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's my point. DL is more generous if you're trying to EQD run.
Yes, but then you have to fly SkyTeam.

0 -> 20/30% is a huge improvement in my book, because I virtually never buy tickets at the implied $0.20+/mi. price.
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
L and R are also missing from that list. It’s either a mistake — like the missing G fare on the initial +P rollout turned out to be — or it’s a pretty massive devaluation for anyone on discount economy or PE fares.
When googling for the fare class quote the only result I get is the current Turkish Airlines Award chart. Hopefully it's a mistake then...
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:53 am

It's a pretty safe bet that omission of O is a mistake.

It's a good thing the proofreaders aren't flying the airplanes.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Bonuses don't count.
Originally Posted by segiddins
elite bonuses won’t count for PQP earnings
My bad, didn’t see the asterisk on the limitation. At least fare class bonus is counted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.