Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 11:11 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by jsloan
But I feel some people are giving up on UA due to an initial reading of the rules when it turns out that said rules are pretty easy to game for a certain class of customer.
But that is the whole point. There are a lot of folks who travel enough to want some kind of status. And in may not be high level, it may be that they fly 35K, 50K miles a year, end up at Silver/Gold Level. Delta in it's roll-over-miles system cater to these folks. You get them, and they are a steady stream of business.

And there is not a lot of "better" business out there that one can suddenly get. United's 2018 PRASM (what it gets per seat, per mile) was 11.75 cents. So if that average flyer flew 50K BIS miles, they would be paying $5875 to United. Gold status required $6K in spending. So you have to have spending that is at or above the AVERAGE spending/per seat that UA pulls in.

And lets be serious, United does not give a lot back at that level. Few fee waivers. A few upgrades. E+. But the costs of this is not substantial. And certainly not for someone who is by definition (with only a few exceptions) paying more than what UA is getting on average for it's seats. And what is that revenue? Well, if the seat would have gone out empty, it is "free money" to UA. And if not, it because of how fare brackets work, did not displace someone who would pay more for that flight.

So it is perfectly nice for you to say "well, if I apply a set of third order assumptions, I can figure out how the new UA system does not make qualification much harder", but for 99.99% of UA's elites, they are not going to get beyond "oh, this hurts me, It may cause me to lose status, or be at a lower level." They then face a choice of do they stick with United, or go to another carrier.

The entire purpose of having a loyalty program is to keep your customers from ever considering another airline. Reminds me of Oscar (or perhaps Kirby, I can't recall today)'s comments about flying small RJs when the competition (Delta) was flying a main line jet. He commented on how this caused them to book away from UA, soon they had another airlines card in their wallet, and soon they were flying that other airline on other routes, and soon they were not UA's customers any longer.

It appears to me that with changes like these, United has gone back to management by spreadsheet. Impose some change, assume static behavior by UA's elites, record it all as some type of profit. My guess is no one modeled the impacts, let alone the impacts if the economy slows.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Uh? UA's new program, in essence, is aimed at last-minute ticketers - those <2 hours $1K full Y fare on OPM. Best of all, most of them can care less about status.

From UA's perspective, it's a great system. I speak as someone who buys most tickets out of own pocket.
But this system while it looks good on a spreadsheet (gee, I modelled us getting all of the last minute traffic) serves none of the purposes of an elite program. Since Status does not matter that much to these folks (or those on premium tickets) some rule making it easier to qualify for them is not going to atttact them to UA. LIkewise, those who do care about status, are going to be more inclined to leave, i.e. the stickiness of status will no longer work to hold them to UA -which is not exactly a leading airline in service, hard product, of soft product.
gokeeper and leoo like this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Obviously this isn’t United’s strategy.... but the whole point is that they’re trying to get rid of customers (like me) who fly for as little as possible. All I’ve been trying to do on this thread is to point out that there are alternatives to anyone who still finds that accruing status on United is attractive. If you’ve made an informed decision to be a free agent, move to another *A partner, or move to another alliance, then that’s all well and good. But I feel some people are giving up on UA due to an initial reading of the rules when it turns out that said rules are pretty easy to game for a certain class of customer.
I agree with your assessment - any set of rules can be gamed. That said, what UA has done in this recent rules change is that they have incentivized me to book flights on *A partners. Which I have done, and what I've found is that the flight experience is better most of the time on the competition. Guess where I book now, especially since I don't have to worry about making sure the *A partner flight has a UA codeshare flight number? And since I have never spent $24K on flying in a single year, I no longer worry about flying non *A airlines.

I think UA is betting that most existing elites will simply suck it up and continue paying top dollar for a substandard soft product. Perhaps they are right, but I won't be one of those customers.....
kb1992, mechteach, Kacee and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
But that is the whole point. There are a lot of folks who travel enough to want some kind of status. And in may not be high level, it may be that they fly 35K, 50K miles a year, end up at Silver/Gold Level. Delta in it's roll-over-miles system cater to these folks. You get them, and they are a steady stream of business.
It is business that UA has decided that it doesn't want.

And there is not a lot of "better" business out there that one can suddenly get. United's 2018 PRASM (what it gets per seat, per mile) was 11.75 cents. So if that average flyer flew 50K BIS miles, they would be paying $5875 to United. Gold status required $6K in spending. So you have to have spending that is at or above the AVERAGE spending/per seat that UA pulls in.
No, you don't. For one thing, the PQD waivers meant that plenty of people achieved Gold with far less spending than tat. For another, there were plenty of PQD-limited people who flew much further than that but only had the PQD for Gold. I got 7.5 PQ¢ per PQM in 2018 and 10.1 PQ¢ per PQM in 2019 (with the caveat that there were a couple of errors in my favor). I made 1K both years. I am not a profitable customer, and UA wants rid of me, so they've changed the rules of the game. I've adapted, and I expect to make 1K this year with less out-of-pocket spending than I did last year.

And lets be serious, United does not give a lot back at that level. Few fee waivers. A few upgrades. E+. But the costs of this is not substantial. And certainly not for someone who is by definition (with only a few exceptions) paying more than what UA is getting on average for it's seats. And what is that revenue? Well, if the seat would have gone out empty, it is "free money" to UA. And if not, it because of how fare brackets work, did not displace someone who would pay more for that flight.
You can't have it both ways. If you're right that these customers are paying more than the average passenger for their flight, then they'll have a decent chance to make the new thresholds anyway. UA is targeting 20 cents per mile, just like they did with the change to redeemable miles.

So it is perfectly nice for you to say "well, if I apply a set of third order assumptions, I can figure out how the new UA system does not make qualification much harder", but for 99.99% of UA's elites, they are not going to get beyond "oh, this hurts me, It may cause me to lose status, or be at a lower level." They then face a choice of do they stick with United, or go to another carrier.
I suspect that 99.99% of UA's premier members aren't paying attention to any of this.

But this system while it looks good on a spreadsheet (gee, I modelled us getting all of the last minute traffic) serves none of the purposes of an elite program. Since Status does not matter that much to these folks (or those on premium tickets) some rule making it easier to qualify for them is not going to atttact them to UA. LIkewise, those who do care about status, are going to be more inclined to leave, i.e. the stickiness of status will no longer work to hold them to UA -which is not exactly a leading airline in service, hard product, of soft product.
UA thinks it sells a different product than you think they do. They're making billions of dollars a year. They're making less of your money than they did in the past, but it doesn't seem to have hurt them much. Perhaps they actually do have some idea what they're doing. Is Delta making more? Sure, so they're trying something different. It might work; it might not. We'll know in October or so, when DL either matches UA's program or doesn't.

If you start with the assumption that "Status does not matter than much to these folks," what's the point of having Global Services (which is definitely targeted at that kind of flyer) or even 1K? Surely it's not to try to scoop up as many passengers as possible paying 7.5 cpm. UA thinks "hey, give us all of your business, and you'll get lots of miles and upgrade certificates to take your family on neat vacations" is a selling point, since they understand that most people aren't making GS (or even 1K) on their own dime.

Originally Posted by halls120
I agree with your assessment - any set of rules can be gamed. That said, what UA has done in this recent rules change is that they have incentivized me to book flights on *A partners. Which I have done, and what I've found is that the flight experience is better most of the time on the competition. Guess where I book now, especially since I don't have to worry about making sure the *A partner flight has a UA codeshare flight number? And since I have never spent $24K on flying in a single year, I no longer worry about flying non *A airlines.
That's my entire point.

The 24K is a massive red herring for people who have the ability to book on *A partners. You can get 1K for much less than that, so if you still value its benefits, you can have them. Sure, if non-*A flights make the most sense for a given trip, that's fine, but if there's a sensible *A alternative, you're going to feel silly if you end the year at 52 PQF and 16K PQP, or just 22K PQP, if you actually value 1K status. (Personally, I do, because I am able to use my PlusPoints). And, yes, it's so much easier to take advantage of partner fares when I"m not trying to plate them on 016 ticket stock.

I think UA is betting that most existing elites will simply suck it up and continue paying top dollar for a substandard soft product. Perhaps they are right, but I won't be one of those customers.....
I mean, I actually like the benign neglect of flying UA, as opposed to the excessive attention of, say, SQ, where I had to pretend to sleep just to be left alone. But I understand that's not for everyone.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:23 am

I mean, I actually like the benign neglect of flying UA, as opposed to the excessive attention of, say, SQ, where I had to pretend to sleep just to be left alone. But I understand that's not for everyone.
I think we've found UA's new target audience!
renila and jsloan like this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It is business that UA has decided that it doesn't want.

If true, that's insane. We're talking about $18-20k per year customers who generate PRASM 50% higher than UA's average. And you're defending the decision to show them the door?

This "logic" made some measure of sense when flyers were able to 1K qualify for $2500. Not when they're generating revenue in the 20 cpm range.
kb1992 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by Kacee
If true, that's insane. We're talking about $18-20k per year customers who generate PRASM 50% higher than UA's average. And you're defending the decision to show them the door?

This "logic" made some measure of sense when flyers were able to 1K qualify for $2500. Not when they're generating revenue in the 20 cpm range.
I agree with what you say.

But also, note, I am not generating revenue at 20cpm, yet I will qualify for 1K (probably, just) at the $24k spend level because I fly between 150-200k miles / year. That puts me at 12-16cpm, more in line with the average bear. I think we'll find that the 1K this year are higher volume / less cpm fliers ... ie, not the ones at 100k PQM, but 200k PQM.

Which seems to me (based on the ludicrous amount of PZ and/or short upgrade lists I see now), they *did* cull the 1K appreciably compared to last year. It's a shame they didn't wait to see the effects of the $15k spend before doing this one. I know UA has "data", but one might think they would try to understand changes before changing more.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP

Not necessarily "out the door", just to a lower status with less benefits than 1K. But of course, for many here and those who have been 1K for many years, that's a direct slap in the face. I would say most of the general population who don't make their purchasing decisions based on obtaining status would either not notice or even care and just accept being Platinum or lower.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by ryman554
It's a shame they didn't wait to see the effects of the $15k spend before doing this one.
That one is indeed puzzling.
😦
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think we've found UA's new target audience!
I did say It wasn't for everyone.

UA's target is $0.20 / mile. One way to look at the $24K figure is that they raised the number of miles necessary to reach 1K -- at the target figure they're looking for -- to match DL Diamond. If you fly 125K miles per year, and you pay $0.20/mile, you'd hit $25K. (And, yes, they're giving a discount to 90K miles for someone with 54 flights, presumably because they think that non-hub-captive passengers would be more likely to defect).

Please don't misunderstand. I don't like this change; I've hated PQDs from the start. If you're going to have PQDs, I appreciate being able to earn them on partner tickets, because (a) I can take advantage of partner sale fares without having it negatively affect my ability to reach 1K and (b) they're obviously game-able. I also like being able to combine them with the new PlusPoints system, allowing me to upgrade sub-W fares and thus cut my total spending.

All I'm really doing is interpreting the decisions UA has made: they have clearly decided that they want to focus benefits on customers who spend $0.20/mile or more. They're working with coarse tools -- total sending doesn't really accomplish what they appear to want, which is more like average spending -- but this is what they seem to be trying to do. I'm not defending it; I'm just trying to explain it.

Which seems to me (based on the ludicrous amount of PZ and/or short upgrade lists I see now), they *did* cull the 1K appreciably compared to last year. It's a shame they didn't wait to see the effects of the $15k spend before doing this one. I know UA has "data", but one might think they would try to understand changes before changing more.
"ludicrous amount of PZ?" Do tell.

It's not possible for passengers to determine the effect of 1K culling, if any, from the $15K level yet, especially via the short upgrade lists -- people who qualified in 2018, under the $12K level, still have status. The PZ thing, maybe, but I'm calling foul -- I haven't seen any ludicrous amounts of PZ space, unless by ludicrous you mean "yes, I did find one TPAC route and one TATL route on basically the days I wanted."
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:59 am

Interesting discussion. The idea that UA did not really consider what they are doing is not exactly far fetched. They seem to do this all the time.

Personally, I booked away from UA for the short term. I went back to DL and begged my diamond status back. Thanks to gaming the system and flying ST partners I should actually have Diamond locked up by the end of Q1. I will probably switch back to UA at that point and fly their partners to lock up 1k.

So, UA not only lost revenue on me, but I will now have top tier status on two airlines. If they expected that then I suppose they are geniuses. I cannot fathom why they would want anyone to fly anyone else but I appreciate it. AA offered me some sort of status match too - so I might dump UA and go to AA. At least on AA I will see upgrades on my normal domestic DEN-ORD flight. on UA that is a nightmare.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
But also, note, I am not generating revenue at 20cpm, yet I will qualify for 1K (probably, just) at the $24k spend level because I fly between 150-200k miles / year. That puts me at 12-16cpm, more in line with the average bear. I think we'll find that the 1K this year are higher volume / less cpm fliers ... ie, not the ones at 100k PQM, but 200k PQM.
PRASM is calculated on a BIS basis, not PQM basis. Calculated BIS, I was right around 20 cpm last year, and suspect you were, too.
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Not necessarily "out the door", just to a lower status with less benefits than 1K.
This goes back to "don't give your customers a reason to check out the competition." That's exactly what UA has done, and I don't think I'm the only one leaving rather than accepting a demotion to Plat.
Originally Posted by hirohito888
I would say most of the general population who don't make their purchasing decisions based on obtaining status would either not notice or even care and just accept being Platinum or lower.
IME, the "ignorant 1K" is less prevalent than often suggested around here. The 1Ks I know are pretty aware of the program basics, what they need to do to qualify, and the impact of changes to the qualification requirements.
jupper and Aussienarelle like this.

Last edited by Kacee; Jan 13, 2020 at 11:43 am
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Great discussion and do hope UA Insider is reading it and it is in alignment with their thinking at the time they implemented the changes.

With that said I do think they have used a static forecasting method rather than a dynamic forecasting method.

Static forecasting methods are the beign of the US federal government forecasts (may apply at the state level as well but I am only aware of the federal impacts). It is one of the problems that many bureaucrats have - they understand how to forecast with fixed assumptions but forecasting in behaviour completely stumps them.

Hopefully United did use dynamic forecasting methods and What If analysis. My belief is they did not as the incentive to stay with United is very limited but then I am also from the business school that it is easier to keep an existing customer than find a new customer.

My only puzzlement in all this is if UA is seeking 20 cents per mile, the BE model drastically reduces this margin. So they plan to fill the seats they cannot sell at 20cents or more with BE? I personally pay more than BE but not 20 cents.

I know United does not want my business as I am in the middle of the two data points. However, an airline (or three) is going to value my 125,000 - 150,000 BIS miles in 2021 it just is not United (my recent message from United reminded me I have been in the MP program since the mid 1990s and have been 1K for more than 10 years).
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As to the comments UA "does not want the business" or "does not want an individual as a customer" is frankly nonsense.
What UA is doing is changing who / how it rewards travelers for their business. Some will get more rewards, some will get less. Net-Net, there may be less overall rewards, no one here has anywhere enough information to make that assessment -- we can guess, we can suspect, ... but can not state as a fact.

It is the customer who decides to leave, UA is not refusing to have you as a customer, just perhaps on different terms which you may not like.

Similiar overstatements about forcing customers to take partner flights. UA is clearly changing metrics and personally having have tried this in other complex environments, it is hard to impossible to do without there being corner case conditions that are not consistent with the overall intent. It does appear the certain sweet spots for certain partners presently exist, to me, this is not surprising (think arbitrage). Suspect some of the sweet spots will disappear, others, especially with JVs, UA may not worry as much about. But as others have suggested, the vast majority will not go down that road. It has just created a new form of "mileage running" which few ever participated in (and in this case, it still will take serious cash to be successful, so that will self limit the number of participants). And it will drive threads in FT
hirohito888, jupper and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Good point, PE is often the sweet spot.
thanks-how do i go about finding these on star carriers?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
thanks-how do i go about finding these on star carriers?
1. Read the premium fare deals forum.
2. Sign up for accounts on all the *A partners -- they will email you when they have fare sales (although their definition of "sale" is often questionable)
3. You can search on Google flights. Restrict to *A, select premium economy, and use the map view to see the cheapest price to various destinations. This can also help give you a good idea of what is actually a "good deal" if you do it frequently.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.