Wiki Posts
Search

unpublished 1k benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
unpublished 1k benefits?

I have been 1k for a few years and find many of the benefits nice - although, I am getting a little tired of the snack boxes.
the new Clear membership appears nice....
the "new" yellow United luggage handle that I got a few months ago is nice - and it got me thinking....

are there any other unpublished perks/benefits/services/etc that United offers to 1k members that people have gotten just for asking?

-m
Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mfirst
I have been 1k for a few years and find many of the benefits nice - although, I am getting a little tired of the snack boxes.
the "new" yellow United luggage handle that I got a few months ago is nice - and it got me thinking....

are there any other unpublished perks/benefits/services/etc that United offers to 1k members that people have gotten just for asking?

-m

Nothing you mentioned is "Unpublished" they may not be widely known. That said there are some GS who have no idea what their benefits are either. They fly F/J and really nothing much matters as upgrades and snack boxes are foreign to them.

Most of the "Unpublished" benefits are YMMV or HUCA stuff like hotels during weather delays and stuff like that
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
while United has always been extremely helpful when there have been delays and problems (within reason - although disappointed with some of the same-day change opportunities).....but was thinking about "stuff"

-m
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:32 pm

They once gave me a full refund 27 hours after I booked a ticket.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I'd say the unpublished benefits of 1K are the times when they bend the rules slightly (or not so slightly) when you call the "1K line".
Sometimes you just KNOW that if you had no status they wouldn't have been so accommodating.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
They regularly allow me the honor of being in one of the top 5 positions on the UG list when the door closes
Arnon, 330, droopydog and 42 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by limey1K
They regularly allow me the honor of being in one of the top 5 positions on the UG list when the door closes

And as a 1K it seems to be mostly #1 !
JetBunny, c502cid, eng3 and 8 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by econ
Meal priority in premium cabins may be another one. At least I haven't seen that published anywhere, except on FT.
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....l-service-app/ - I am pretty sure United has published many articles on GS/1K meal priority
rj_flyer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2019 at 6:39 am Reason: split post
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....l-service-app/ - I am pretty sure United has published many articles on GS/1K meal priority
Yeah, I should have said that I couldn't find anything about meal order published on the UA website, even though it definitely appears to be internal policy.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2019 at 6:45 am Reason: split post
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by mfirst

-m
are they still giving out luggage handles?i want one! how can you get them as i havent been given one for many yrs
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Middle E+ seat assignment on BE fare most of time.
DELee likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
are they still giving out luggage handles?i want one! how can you get them as i havent been given one for many yrs
They are not an annual thing, but you can ask for a replacement
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...questable.html
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
  1. I always felt getting up to 1K was around the point you begin to be treated like a human being vs cattle.
  2. hey sometimes personally thank you for being 1K. I've never been personally thanked for being Platinum, Gold, Silver.
  3. Starting at 1K, you getting lodging/food for an overnight delay (or reimbursement) even due to weather.
  4. Choice of old GF seat at checkin. (I forget if this is only for 1K or for everyone, in the past it was at booking)
  5. More than once, when I attempted to bring a lower status person with me during boarding, the GA will ask if I am 1K/GS making it seem like there is some sort of policy prohibiting the practice if you are lower than 1K. Both an unpublished policy and benefit.
AirbusFan2B and lhrsfo like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2019 at 6:46 am Reason: split post
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Discussion of extension of GPUs, a regular topic for this time of year, has been split out into
Any word on extending Jan 2020 expiring GPUs/PlusPoints? (probably not until mid-Nov)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by narvik
I'd say the unpublished benefits of 1K are the times when they bend the rules slightly (or not so slightly) when you call the "1K line".
Sometimes you just KNOW that if you had no status they wouldn't have been so accommodating.
This, combined with actually being able to reach an agent and HUCA being a viable strategy. Every time I have to call a partner airline instead I remember how huge this benefit is.

Simple things like "I know this flight isn't quite within 24 hours, but could you run the SDC anyway?". Big things like splitting the Hopper segments. 1K agents have had my back
rj_flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.