Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID19: UA Extended 80 JAN 31 2020 PlusPoints → APR but NOW → OCT 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
05 April 2020
1K® and Platinum members, we're increasing your ability to upgrade by extending PlusPoints expiration dates by six months and expanding Skip Waitlist.
  • This means a six-month extension of any PlusPoints set to expire on or before January 31, 2021.
4 Dec 2019 (updated 29 Dec 2019)

UA Customer Support Agents are now able to extend 31 Jan 2020 expiring 80 PlusPoints to 30 April 2020 for requalified 1Ks (GSs).

At this point, the 80 PlusPoints do not need have come from just GPUs, appears there is no distinction of the original source of the PlusPoints.
This is not correct [anymore]: United MP agents are able to discern if PlusPoints have originated from GPUs or RPUs.
More recently, when calling in, only PlusPoints from GPU's were able to be extended, up to a maximum of 80 PlusPoints to 30 April 2020.
Some have had more success when emailing United as opposed to calling in, although it appears that the extension of PlusPoints from RPUs is an exception rather than the rule.

29 Oct 2019
Originally Posted by chavala
Just received this email:

Global Premier Upgrades (GPUs) are valid through the end of the following Premier program year and travel must be completed by the expiration date. On 12/04/19 the GPUs and RPUs will be converted into PlusPoints. Before 12/04/19, we will extend two GPUs. After 12/04/19, we will then extend the PlusPoints. There are no extensions on the RPUs.

As a Premier 1K member, we value your business. Thank you for choosing United.
Regards,
_________
MileagePlus® Service Center
Historically UA will extend up to 2 GPUs with January expiration to April 30 expiration if the elite has re-qualified for 1K status or GS. Unknown with the change to PlusPoints (4 Dec 2019) if or when a similar extension will be offered and what the form will be.

Generally, UA does not announce the policy until mid to late November. And there is no guarantee the policy will be renewed any year. Will update thread title, if and when, it becomes possible to extend. When UA decides to do this, it can take a week or two before most agents are aware.

The extension can be done via email or phone -- also either by MPSC or phone agents (some phone agents will need to get help).

No extensions of RPUs have been offered in the past. (With the conversion to PlusPoints this may become a moot point). Historically Plats (having no GPUs) have not been included in the extension offer.

And just a reminder, GPUs (or RPUs) cannot be applied to flights scheduled after the expiration date.
Once expired the GPUs cannot be recovered / extended.

Previous threads

[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring Jan, 31 2019 can be extended (re-qual GS/1Ks max 2 GPU'S) (6 Nov 2018)
[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring Jan, 31 2018 can be extended (re-qual GS/1Ks max 2 GPU'S) (9 Nov 2017)
[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring Jan, 31 2017 can be extended (re-qual GS/1Ks max 2 GPU'S) (13 Nov 2016)
[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring Jan, 31 2016 can be extended (re-qual GS/1Ks max 2 GPU'S) (14 Nov 2015)
[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring on Jan, 31 2015 will be extended (max 2 GPU'S) (3 Dec 2014)
Extending GPUs Earned in 2013 that Expire on 31-Jan-2014? (11 Dec 2013)
What's the latest on extending "2013" GPUs?
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve

Extension of 2 expiring GPUs for re-qualifying 1Ks has been an unpublished benefit the past few years. But not sure if anyone knows what will happen with PlusPoints this year.

Last edited by J.Edward; Apr 6, 2020 at 5:57 am Reason: split post to create new thread
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Any word on extending Jan 2020 expiring GPUs/PlusPoints? (probably not until mid-Nov)

Originally Posted by econ
Extension of 2 expiring GPUs for re-qualifying 1Ks has been an unpublished benefit the past few years. But not sure if anyone knows what will happen with PlusPoints this year..

Passplus has said no extension......

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2019 at 6:37 am Reason: split post to create new thread
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Well that's too bad if there are no extensions this year.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2019 at 6:44 am Reason: split post
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA Insider basically said no comment, which is consistent with how it's has been handled in years past, i.e., we don't know until sometime in November. Where have you seen a definitive "no"?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
UA Insider basically said no comment, which is consistent with how it's has been handled in years past, i.e., we don't know until sometime in November. Where have you seen a definitive "no"?
I am going by the CLEARLY published rules on https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...cordion-faq-32

I know full well what UA Insider said, but until United says that we CAN extend pluspoints until April, I am assuming we can't, because well the rules say we can't.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I am going by the CLEARLY published rules on https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...cordion-faq-32
"Yes, PlusPoints expire, like Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades do today."

Well, if it's anything "like today", we can expect them to eventually grant some extension for 1K and GS then.
chavala likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by narvik
"Yes, PlusPoints expire, like Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades do today."

Well, if it's anything "like today", we can expect them to eventually grant some extension for 1K and GS then.

well, when/if that happens I'll gladly change my answer and look forward to having mine extended....assuming I have any left...
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
It will be interesting. For example, to the best of my knowledge, they have never allowed extension of RPUs, only GPUs. So what if you use up your GPUs and only have RPUs left and they get converted to points.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2019 at 6:38 am Reason: split post
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

I know full well what UA Insider said, but until United says that we CAN extend pluspoints until April, I am assuming we can't, because well the rules say we can't.
But you know what happens when we ...-u-me ; )

(seriously? that's edited out for "swearing"?)
Old Oct 14, 2019, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Apparently, UA won't extend it.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...ons-this-year/

There hasn't been any good news from UA lately. ALL BAD news.
leonidas, Buzzman and jasonp622 like this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992

wow Thanks for posting this. I thought they might throw us a bone after the bad news, but they really just don’t give a sh*t anymore. Yeah, I know, I know. They never did.
I already feel like an idiot for thinking that, so please, no need for anyone to point that out
leonidas and Buzzman like this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Oh wow, if TPG is correct, United really do not want the traditional 1K flyers. It is all about the spend and the folks who are spending are already upfront for the most part I guess. With the focus on segments rather than miles, PQS were historically domestic travellers and RPUs did not historically get extended.

I have one GPU I am still waiting to use out of nine for 2019. Fingers crossed for my November flight as last international flight before it expires.

To think for a number of years these always expired as I had no idea what they were!
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by kb1992

His article says "a United spokesperson confirmed that the same will not apply to PlusPoints"
Is there a quote from another article? Is he going by UA insider? did he ask directly?
he does not provide any further detail.

Last edited by eng3; Oct 14, 2019 at 11:22 am
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Oh wow, if TPG is correct, United really do not want the traditional 1K flyers. It is all about the spend and the folks who are spending are already upfront for the most part I guess.

I have a funny suspicion that United is peeing off all the previously United-loyal travelers JUST before an economic downturn, when -in turn- they would so desperately need such loyalty to carry them through it.

In a cruel kind of a way, I almost HOPE there is an economic downturn for this sole reason...
SS255 and gokeeper like this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I have a funny suspicion that United is peeing off all the previously United-loyal travelers JUST before an economic downturn, when -in turn- they would so desperately need such loyalty to carry them through it.

In a cruel kind of a way, I almost HOPE there is an economic downturn for this sole reason...
United's spin on the MP changes reminds me of the old English saying "Don't piss* on my boots and tell me it's raining." Doing just that could cost them a lot, under certain macro-economic conditions.

*For those who object to vulgar language, piss does not fall into that category. Shakespeare used it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.