Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Mailing Yellow Baggage Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, [still requestable]

UA Mailing Yellow Baggage Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, [still requestable]

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 10, 19, 5:06 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
If you did not receive a Yellow Baggage Wrap when you reached 1K or you need another one, email 1Kvoice and request another one. They should respond and tell you that they will ship you one out within 7-10 business days.
If they do not respond to your original email, send another email.
If they do respond but do not mail you a Yellow Baggage Wrap within 10 business days then re-request one with a copy of their original response.

The bag wrap can provide priority processing of your gate check bags on UX. It may help checked bags also but the primary benefits is first delivery of gate check bags. It is not 100% (this is UA ) but with time it has become very common benefit for many UX flights.

The only known formal mention of Yellow Wraps (but only readable by GS)
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
https://globalservices.united.com
At The Airport --> Boarding and Baggage --> Baggage
Yellow Handle Wrap for gate-checked baggage on United Express(R)-operated flights, for expedited gate checking and delivery

Thread archive:
UA Mailing Yellow Baggage Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 5, 15, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT
Not looking good for me. HUCA moment? I called the 1K line and was told I needed a US address - but that the agent could request it. I had known other international members received their wraps abroad (I'm in Canada). So I emailed 1K Voice, received this response:

"I just spoke to our 1K Mileage Plus Desk and unfortunately the yellow
bag wrap is not offered in the 2015 1K Kit.
Thank you for being a 1K member with us and have a Happy New Year.

Regards,

NAME
Corporate Customer Care
NUMBER"

I followed up by saying a phone agent could request it, but only if I had a US address. Which is it?

Received this response:

"Thank you for your reply.

I did contact out 1K Mileage Plus Desk again for verification about the bag wraps. They stated that they do not have any bag wraps available and they are not being offered in 2015.

Thank you very much.

Regards,"

Not sure what to make of it. Are they no longer being sent out?
Old Jan 5, 15, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by hagan73 View Post

I missed the prior posts in the thread that pointed out where it the wraps can be found as a benefit on the GS site.

It makes sense from a warped perspective that they would say they're not being offered in the 1K kits but keep them available for GS's (Stockholm Syndrome, anyone?).

It would be interesting for a GS to ask the question if they will be offered in 2015.

Yet another dilution...

Greg
Old Jan 5, 15, 3:18 pm

So I wonder if they will 'honor' them anymore on the jetways starting in February. They probably didn't yield Ua any benefit and yet cost them money to make and mail. More united 'unfriendly'
Old Jan 5, 15, 3:27 pm

Programs: United 1K; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott PP; Marriott LT PLT; AA Gold
Originally Posted by greg99 View Post
I missed the prior posts in the thread that pointed out where it the wraps can be found as a benefit on the GS site.

It makes sense from a warped perspective that they would say they're not being offered in the 1K kits but keep them available for GS's (Stockholm Syndrome, anyone?).

It would be interesting for a GS to ask the question if they will be offered in 2015.

Yet another dilution...

Greg
The price and demand just went up for my extra yellow bag handle

If there is some truth though to them not sending them out anymore, I'm going to have to zip tie mine on I guess. I lost two in 2014, hence the reason why I requested an extra around October last year.

I just hate having them zipped tied where they get stuck there forever, as then I get the DYKWIA stares.

Given my success with my bags getting to the jet bridge first, I do use it all the time when I'm on an RJ that has no overhead.
Old Jan 5, 15, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by dank0014 View Post
The price and demand just went up for my extra yellow bag handle

If there is some truth though to them not sending them out anymore, I'm going to have to zip tie mine on I guess. I lost two in 2014, hence the reason why I requested an extra around October last year.

I just hate having them zipped tied where they get stuck there forever, as then I get the DYKWIA stares.

Given my success with my bags getting to the jet bridge first, I do use it all the time when I'm on an RJ that has no overhead.
My wife figured out a theft proof way to keep mine on. She cut out holes, inserted eyelets so I can put a small travel lock through it. You would literally have to ripped it off with a fair amount of force to get it. About 20-30 gate check legs thus far and it is still there.
Old Jan 5, 15, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by PushingTin View Post
If it isn't in the CoC......

Seems odd that they wouldn't tout it as a benefit, especially for us 1Ks stuck on RJs all the time. It can mean making or missing a connection- or at least have to do a run at full sprint.

The only thing I can think of is that they don't want to over-promise/under-deliver, but they do that with so many other 'benefits' (CPUs), that I can't see them getting gun shy on this one.

Do they tout the "Priority' tags on checked luggage?? That never seems to work. Maybe it helps with which bags get tossed off for W/B issues, but they sure dont' workd for what bags come out first. Now, because I don't trust UA with bags, I only check 4-5 times a year.
my experience is that the priority checked bags have much better luck being treated as 'priority' on non-UA carriers. On all my LH and OS flights last year, anytime I checked a bag to europe it always seemed to come out within the first 10-15 bags. Returning to the US was a different story. Most times it was just in the middle of pack.
Old Jan 5, 15, 9:48 pm

Programs: HiltonSilver, MariottGold, HyattPlat, KimptonTier3, UA 1K, HertzGold,AvisPres
If they really did stop this, How much of a cost savings can this really be for UA? for what some of us spend with this airline they could toss us a luggage wrap...
Old Jan 5, 15, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by p924s87 View Post
If they really did stop this, How much of a cost savings can this really be for UA? for what some of us spend with this airline they could toss us a luggage wrap...
Thats just it. If UA does a cost/benefit analysis, they will see that this is an expense since giving us the wraps does not add revenue. They apparently don't go as far as factoring in the intangible value of passenger happiness.

Lets say it costs them .50 cents to manufacture and another 1.00 to ship (packaging/labor). At a 1.50 and lets assume even 100,000 1k's you are looking at 150,000 in savings that some bean counter discovered and was applauded. I don't expect United to say that the 1k's are worth spending 150k on for a 'trinket'.

Also, with US leaving for oneworld, it leaves UA with a Star Alliance monopoly in the USA and UA probably is feeling fairly arrogant that they won't lose many elites who rely on / enjoy *A because they stopped supplying the handle wrap.

I've gone from fan to cynic of UA over the last couple of years.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 7, 15 at 12:27 am Reason: OT item removed
Old Jan 5, 15, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Out of curiosity, I just called the 1K line and requested my yellow baggage handle wraps for 2015. After a bit of keyboard pecking, was told they should show up in 7 to 10 days. We shall see...

Originally Posted by hagan73 View Post
Not looking good for me. HUCA moment? I called the 1K line and was told I needed a US address - but that the agent could request it. I had known other international members received their wraps abroad (I'm in Canada). So I emailed 1K Voice, received this response:

Regards,

NAME
Corporate Customer Care
NUMBER"

I followed up by saying a phone agent could request it, but only if I had a US address. Which is it?

Received this response:

"Thank you for your reply.

I did contact out 1K Mileage Plus Desk again for verification about the bag wraps. They stated that they do not have any bag wraps available and they are not being offered in 2015.

Thank you very much.

Regards,"

Old Jan 5, 15, 11:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Zeug View Post
Out of curiosity, I just called the 1K line and requested my yellow baggage handle wraps for 2015. After a bit of keyboard pecking, was told they should show up in 7 to 10 days. We shall see...
yep -- folks can get spin up over one report --
.... "I just spoke to our 1K Mileage Plus Desk and unfortunately the yellow bag wrap is not offered in the 2015 1K Kit. ....
Old Jan 6, 15, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; Kimpton IC; Marriott Gold
Just another data point, I made 1K in November, finally called today to request a yellow wrap. No problems -- she said it would arrive in 7-10 days. Not in time for my next trip, but if true, it will likely arrive before my 1K kit (since that still says "Pending" on the mystatus site).
Old Jan 6, 15, 10:34 pm

Programs: United 1K; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott PP; Marriott LT PLT; AA Gold
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer View Post
My wife figured out a theft proof way to keep mine on. She cut out holes, inserted eyelets so I can put a small travel lock through it. You would literally have to ripped it off with a fair amount of force to get it. About 20-30 gate check legs thus far and it is still there.
I wouldn't even be able to sew a hole in my pants let alone try to figure out how to stab the yellow wrap to insert some eyelet thingy.

I'll go buy some super glue.
Old Jan 7, 15, 3:49 am

Programs: HiltonSilver, MariottGold, HyattPlat, KimptonTier3, UA 1K, HertzGold,AvisPres
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer View Post
Thats just it. If UA does a cost/benefit analysis, they will see that this is an expense since giving us the wraps does not add revenue. They apparently don't go as far as factoring in the intangible value of passenger happiness.

Lets say it costs them .50 cents to manufacture and another 1.00 to ship (packaging/labor). At a 1.50 and lets assume even 100,000 1k's you are looking at 150,000 in savings that some bean counter discovered and was applauded. I don't expect United to say that the 1k's are worth spending 150k on for a 'trinket'.

Also, with US leaving for oneworld, it leaves UA with a Star Alliance monopoly in the USA and UA probably is feeling fairly arrogant that they won't lose many elites who rely on / enjoy *A because they stopped supplying the handle wrap.

I've gone from fan to cynic of UA over the last couple of years.
I don't really care thatmuch about getting a luggage wrap. The big devaluations of the program are one thing. It's just the feeling of being nickel and dimed when they start discontinuing benefits or little perks that really can't cost them much money. BMW sends me and my wife gifts a couple times a year with a thank you for being a BMW owner. Some of them are quite nice, others meh, but it's a nice gesture. They obviously feel the small expense is worth it. Anyway, it is what it is...
Old Jan 16, 15, 2:53 am

Programs: UA Platinum; Kimpton IC; Marriott Gold
Just reporting back..... I called in last week to request a yellow wrap, and it arrived in the mail on Tuesday. So, it doesn't seem like they're discontinuing it, if anyone was worried.
Old Jan 16, 15, 7:31 am

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by jewels421 View Post
Just reporting back..... I called in last week to request a yellow wrap, and it arrived in the mail on Tuesday. So, it doesn't seem like they're discontinuing it, if anyone was worried.
I'd like to do the same thing - did you just call the premier line or the mileage plus service center to request it?

Search this Thread