Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sticker Shock! (RDMs needed for award trips today vs the past)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM

I haven't flown much since 2008 happened. I just looked at some serious award travel redemptions and I am totally blown away at the mile inflation. Stunned.

As a reference point, CO premerger EWR-HNL BizFirst was either 70k or 100k RT, I can't remember. Now it looks to be 225k+.

Anyway, I am looking to go to Europe and my hopes of Business have been dashed upon the mileage rocks.

What I need to know: As a 1k, if I book international economy (reward) can I grab the blue (economy plus) seats? I presume the Premium Plus is out of reach.

Is there a reward level for economy plus that would let me grab a PP seat?

Finally, if sitting in a regular old blue seat, do the process 1k upgrades into the next seat class if available at boarding?

Thanks all.

- Flummoxed ex-CO plat.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
No complimentary upgrades, but you can provide a regional premier upgrade (or 20 points after 11/8). Do you have RPUs?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
No complimentary upgrades, but you can provide a regional premier upgrade (or 20 points after 11/8). Do you have RPUs?
can't apply an instrument to awards unless miles are coming from a GS account.

Last edited by Kleinnaf; Oct 7, 2019 at 5:15 pm
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by carpboy
As a reference point, CO premerger EWR-HNL BizFirst was either 70k or 100k RT, I can't remember. Now it looks to be 225k+.
Because UA does not release award inventory for EWR-HNL nonstop. The rate you see if a result of both dynamic pricing and full-fare award.

What I need to know: As a 1k, if I book international economy (reward) can I grab the blue (economy plus) seats? I presume the Premium Plus is out of reach.
Yes. If the route you are flying is not designated as a PremiumPlus route, you can still get the seat for free.

Is there a reward level for economy plus that would let me grab a PP seat?

Not at this moment.

Finally, if sitting in a regular old blue seat, do the process 1k upgrades into the next seat class if available at boarding?
If your route is CPUable (or EUAable in CO terms), you will be waitlisted until UA determines a seat is available to you and you will be upgraded. The earliest is 96 hours.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I haven't flown much since 2008 happened. I just looked at some serious award travel redemptions and I am totally blown away at the mile inflation. Stunned.

In theory, if you find a saver ticket, it is still 100K RT EWR-HNL RT - you just won't find it

Most days, it is 190K RT

High peak days can go well beyond 225K with dynamic pricing
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM

As a reference point, CO premerger EWR-HNL BizFirst was either 70k or 100k

RT, I can't remember. Now it looks to be 225k+.
You mean like this:

Those days are gone like all the good things that ain't never coming back. Murdered by Smisek, Kirby, and their ilk.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Never seen an RPU. We lifers don't get them.

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
You mean like this:
[...]
Those days are gone like all the good things that ain't never coming back. Murdered by Smisek, Kirby, and their ilk.
I am so glad my serious travel happened pre-merger. FF in general is just such a downer anymore.

I am so thankful to have seen the US and some of the world for free. Now, you have to be of GS caliber just to get a sniff of what we had even 10 years ago.

Originally Posted by garykung
[...]
If your route is CPUable (or EUAable in CO terms), you will be waitlisted until UA determines a seat is available to you and you will be upgraded. The earliest is 96 hours.
It's Europe so no CPU. It looks the best I can do is book cheap and grab blue. PP is available on the seat map (787), it is an award level as well, so I looks like it will have been fully differentiated by next spring.

The wayback machine, I miss that look and feel.

Last edited by Pat89339; Oct 7, 2019 at 6:42 pm Reason: Consecutive posts
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, so, a couple of things here.

First off, as of November 15, UA is axing the award charts. For travel after that date, awards will cost whatever the computer says that they cost. I suspect you're already seeing the results of that.

However, that doesn't immediately mean that you need to cancel your plans. You said you wanted to go to "Europe." That's a pretty flexible statement, and flexibility can be key.

You list ABE/PHL as an origin. Assuming that's accurate, don't just try searches from ABE and PHL; also EWR, IAD, CLE, ORD -- anywhere that's reasonably nearby. You can figure out how to get to the gateway after you find space.

Know the route map. Search all UA destinations in Europe. Search partner destinations that offer nonstop flights. Search Tuesday, search Wednesday.

When you see something attractive, book it. Unless you're planning to use the Excursionist Perk -- and for intra-European travel, I wouldn't bother -- book one-ways so you can change them later. Keep searching; as a 1K, you can change for free, at any time.

This massive devaluation hasn't hit partner awards yet. Search JFK. Search flights to FRA / MUC / BRU / ZRH / GVA / VIE, where you might get an LH-group flight.

If you don't see anything today, look again tomorrow. Things change all the time.

Finally, to answer your specific questions: No to complimentary upgrades (even on CPU-eligible routes, unless you have a qualifying credit card). Yes to P+ awards, but only on UA metal, which means that it might be more expensive to fly in UA P+ than in LH J. Or LH F (may be available within 14 days of departure).

How many miles do you have? How many tickets are you looking for? What's your timeframe?
Repooc17, CIT85, SteveHK and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
You mean like this:

7 straight years of record tourism is likely more to blame - I do that trip a handful of times a year and the F price to buy often isn't unreasonable...
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

I made an error, PP is NOT showing up as an award level. This to Europe from EWR in spring+.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I made an error, PP is NOT showing up as an award level. This to Europe from EWR in spring+.
It depends upon the route.

You can get complimentary P+ seating only on routes where the plane has the P+ cabin but it's not for sale. Generally, that's because they're not willing to guarantee P+ service -- there are still plenty of planes without a P+ cabin in the fleet.

Even then, as people on EWR-LAX/SFO just found out, if they later start to sell P+ on your route, you may be reseated.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
7 straight years of record tourism is likely more to blame - I do that trip a handful of times a year and the F price to buy often isn't unreasonable...
HNL is merely one example that OP referenced.
The lack of post-merger saver J award space is a problem nearly systemwide.
jsloan and CIT85 like this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
It depends upon the route.

You can get complimentary P+ seating only on routes where the plane has the P+ cabin but it's not for sale. Generally, that's because they're not willing to guarantee P+ service -- there are still plenty of planes without a P+ cabin in the fleet.

Even then, as people on EWR-LAX/SFO just found out, if they later start to sell P+ on your route, you may be reseated.
I was looking at EWR-BRU and at the moment it (P+) isn't for sale as an award. I can't imagine that would remain in that state all the way to late spring. I guess I can try it and then pick a P+ and see what happens. I would sure hate to be downgraded though, in fact, the very thought of that will probably keep me from this avenue.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:32 pm

I am so glad my serious travel happened pre-merger. FF in general is just such a downer anymore.

I am so thankful to have seen the US and some of the world for free. Now, you have to be of GS caliber just to get a sniff of what we had even 10 years ago.
GS today doesn't get you nearly the saver award space or upgrades that CO Plat did back in the day.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You mean like this:

And by an economy on screech where people actually buy their tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.