Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sticker Shock! (RDMs needed for award trips today vs the past)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sticker Shock! (RDMs needed for award trips today vs the past)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
OK, so, a couple of things here.

You list ABE/PHL as an origin. Assuming that's accurate, don't just try searches from ABE and PHL; also EWR, IAD, CLE, ORD -- anywhere that's reasonably nearby. You can figure out how to get to the gateway after you find space.

Know the route map. Search all UA destinations in Europe. Search partner destinations that offer nonstop flights. Search Tuesday, search Wednesday.
I was looking EWR to either of CDG/BRU/AMS. I hadn't thought of JFK as I was starting as UA only.

This massive devaluation hasn't hit partner awards yet. Search JFK. Search flights to FRA / MUC / BRU / ZRH / GVA / VIE, where you might get an LH-group flight.
I started looking at partners and see that I can do FRA or ZRH from EWR, connect to wherever, for 140k RT. I have 300k available and two of us so that would fit me in. Nice thing is I can ride a 748, I haven't been on a 747 since the -800's entered service.

How many miles do you have? How many tickets are you looking for? What's your timeframe?
Timeframe is mid spring to whenever. Want to jump while the dollar/Euro is at a palatable rate. Last I went over (2008) it was $1.55 US. Gag.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carpboy
I started looking at partners and see that I can do FRA or ZRH from EWR, connect to wherever, for 140k RT. I have 300k available and two of us so that would fit me in. Nice thing is I can ride a 748, I haven't been on a 747 since the -800's entered service.
I think we have a winner.

If you can scrape together another 60K miles (360K total: 70K J + 110K F times 2), you could look for F availability in one direction -- preferably the return, so you can get full use of the First Class Lounge / Terminal. LH will sometimes (not always) open F availability within 14 days of departure.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
160k to 225k over a decade doesn't seem like that much "inflation"... 3.4% a year.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by mduell
160k to 225k over a decade doesn't seem like that much "inflation"... 3.4% a year.
Was just about to post same.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
Originally Posted by mduell
Looking at 70-100k -> 225k.

Couple that with mileage earnings reductions and it is very significant.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Saver went up 80->100 anytime 160 to 200 ish (dynamic) so not too bad in terms of inflation. Plus hard product is better with beds etc.

Availability is much worse but iirc in 2008 economy collapsed..
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by azepine00
Saver went up 80->100 anytime 160 to 200 ish (dynamic) so not too bad in terms of inflation. Plus hard product is better with beds etc.

Availability is much worse but iirc in 2008 economy collapsed..
Is this a joke?

The economy was just fine in 2012 in my screenshot above. Saver space open every day.

Saver space EWR-HNL in J is a true unicorn today. So the actual rate went from 80K to 200K+ in 7 years.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
You mean like this:

Those days are gone like all the good things that ain't never coming back. Murdered by Smisek, Kirby, and their ilk.
Man is that a sight for sore eyes
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Same for UA / AA / DL elites of 10 years ago also. This is not some mystically pmCO issue, the entire frequent flyer game for everyone is very different.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think we have a winner.

If you can scrape together another 60K miles (360K total: 70K J + 110K F times 2), you could look for F availability in one direction -- preferably the return, so you can get full use of the First Class Lounge / Terminal. LH will sometimes (not always) open F availability within 14 days of departure.
This is an excellent benefit of being 1K, since you can book something to get you home and keep changing it to something better - up to and including LH F - as it opens up, even at the last minute.

UA also opens quite a bit of own-metal saver award space within 14 days - although whether stepping down from OS/LX is really worth 10k miles is another story entirely
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I was looking EWR to either of CDG/BRU/AMS. I hadn't thought of JFK as I was starting as UA only.

Timeframe is mid spring to whenever. Want to jump while the dollar/Euro is at a palatable rate. Last I went over (2008) it was $1.55 US. Gag.
You missed P+ sale pricing by 2 weeks. I bought tickets for my wife RIC-CDG/BCN-RIC in P+ for $1093 (when W was >$1500, and lowest fare was $880). Same itinerary is now >$1800.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by CIT85
You missed P+ sale pricing by 2 weeks. I bought tickets for my wife RIC-CDG/BCN-RIC in P+ for $1093 (when W was >$1500, and lowest fare was $880). Same itinerary is now >$1800.
That's a good point - there are still plenty of insane deals on paid PE.. the RIC fare is still sub $1,300.. SFO-FCO is under $1,100. It is a good option to consider.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Same for UA / AA / DL elites of 10 years ago also. This is not some mystically pmCO issue, the entire frequent flyer game for everyone is very different.
The loss of CO, NW, and US certainly created the oligopoly that can get away with it unchallenged.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold

Sure, but 225k is any arbitrary flight, whereas 70-100k was only those with capacity-limited space.

The old price in the screenshot above for any date was 160k.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
The loss of CO, NW, and US certainly created the oligopoly that can get away with it unchallenged.
To sharpen the point - if considering actual airport pairs, there are very few nonstop routes that are not monopoly or duopoly, or with third airline only one or two departures. Of significance, ORD-LAX - very rare case. Competition is a dirty word in the airline industry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.