Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Nervous flyer-is it possible to avoid a UA 737 MAX on trip I'm planning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread is for discussions of options if a traveler prefers not to fly UA's MAX 9 when / if UA resumes use of that aircraft.
This thread is NOT FOR DISCUSSION of issues related to the MAX series or the process to re-certify the MAX,
This thread is NOT FOR CRITICIZING a person's decision to fly or not to fly the MAX aircraft.
Those subjects are covered in B737MAX [Grounded as of 13 March 2019] and other FT threads
Any off subject posts will be deleted in their entirety

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

A UA spokesperson has stated
"If you get to the gate and it's not an airplane you want to fly on for whatever reason, if it's a Max, we'll put you on another flight," said Andrew Nocella, the airline's chief commercial officer,.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this is not the correct place to post this, but I wasn't sure who exactly to ask.

I am a nervous flyer and rarely fly. I am trying to plan an upcoming dream trip to Japan next spring at the end of March/beginning of April, but my search for flights so far has my cheapest, most convenient options on carriers that have the 737 MAX in their fleet. I am assuming by the time of my trip this plane will be back in the sky. I know it may be irrational, but I would really like to avoid flying on it for a while if possible.

I fly out of Orlando MCO. Looking at carriers without a MAX like Delta gives me options that are more expensive or with rather short layovers I don't feel comfortable with (found one with 1h 27m in SEA, which may be OK, but I am not sure).

I found some cheaper United routes, one with a layover at O'Hare ORD and another at Newark EWR. According to the details on Google Flights, the plane between MCO and EWR or MCO and ORD is a 757. I think I also found some on these routes that just list 737 (which I assume means non-MAX). Could anyone tell me if this is usually accurate? I understand airliners can swap a plane at the last minute. Could anyone speculate on my chances of winding up on a MAX if I choose one of these routes?

Sorry again if all this seems silly, but it really would go a long way towards helping me ease the nerves.

Thank you!
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grippingthearmreststhewholeway
Could anyone speculate on my chances of winding up on a MAX if I choose one of these routes?
UA has announced that they will allow passengers to change their flight if there is an equipment swap to a MAX, although there's no way to know how long that exception will apply.

More broadly, UA has a very generous schedule change policy in general, and their schedules change frequently. There's a good chance that any ticket you buy now could have enough of a change that they would swap you to a different itinerary.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT, Grippingthearmreststhewholeway

The MAX aircraft are not presently in service for any carrier (and doubtful any will be flying in 2019)

When (if) the MAX resumes flying, UA and other carriers have announced they will allow "free" changes to a different aircraft. The alternative may not be as attractive but UA will allow the change.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
OP should also be aware that TPACs to Japan won't/can't use the 737Max. So the "only" risk of the 737Max is your connecting flight from MCO to IAD/EWR/IAH/SFO/LAX over to NRT or HND.

MCO to EWR gets the 752 a lot, but not guaranteed.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:52 am
st3

Programs: United MP
IMO if you absolutely 100% do not want to fly the MAX then I would stick with a carrier that doesn't have any. You could book something with UA on a different plane but equipment swaps do happen and while UA says they will accommodate those not willing to fly the MAX that could mean getting on the next flight and missing your connection to NRT or HND.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
United has 329 737 NGs and 12 737 MAXs. If the airplanes are flying again by next Spring, the total MAX count will probably be around 20, or so.

Even if your domestic leg is scheduled in a 737 that's only about a 20 in 349 (less than 6%) chance of it being a MAX.

If it is a MAX, United's policy is that you can change to another flight at no cost if you are not comfortable flying on the MAX.

If United works best for your overall trip in cost and schedule, I wouldn't be too concerned about the small possibility of having to reschedule a leg to avoid the MAX.
Kacee, BeanTownBoy and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
While UA may allow free changes, if a last minute swap is made (which sometime happens today), you would be in a pickle.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
From September 2019:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/04/busin...ers/index.html

- - - - -
New York (CNN Business)
United Airlines passengers fearful of boarding a Boeing 737 Max will be able to rebook flights for free once United starts flying the planes again.
"If you get to the gate and it's not an airplane you want to fly on for whatever reason, if it's a Max, we'll put you on another flight," said Andrew Nocella, the airline's chief commercial officer, at an investor conference Wednesday."
- - - - -
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by narvik
From September 2019:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/04/busin...ers/index.html

- - - - -
New York (CNN Business)
United Airlines passengers fearful of boarding a Boeing 737 Max will be able to rebook flights for free once United starts flying the planes again.
"If you get to the gate and it's not an airplane you want to fly on for whatever reason, if it's a Max, we'll put you on another flight," said Andrew Nocella, the airline's chief commercial officer, at an investor conference Wednesday."
- - - - -
Pragmatically, however, the question is when would that other flight depart and arrive.
iluv2fly and st3 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Pragmatically, however, the question is when would that other flight depart and arrive.
But the point of significance is the passenger will have the choice.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

It's also a horribly worded sentence: "If you get to the gate and it's not an airplane you want to fly on for whatever reason, if it's a Max, we'll put you on another flight..."

The bolded part suggests that one could do this for ANY flight, but then it immediately follows by narrowing it down to only one plane, with "if it's a Max".
Not well thought out, so I'm pretty sure that was uttered 'from the hip'; we'll see how generous they'll actually be once the Max flies again!
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's also a horribly worded sentence: "If you get to the gate and it's not an airplane you want to fly on for whatever reason, if it's a Max, we'll put you on another flight..."

The bolded part suggests that one could do this for ANY flight, but then it immediately follows by narrowing it down to only one plane, with "if it's a Max".
Not well thought out, so I'm pretty sure that was uttered 'from the hip'; we'll see how generous they'll actually be once the Max flies again!
It also precludes someone from changing TO a MAX, which one would think UA would want to encourage if they think that other passengers will be changing away from the MAX.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:19 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I have deleted a few posts in this thread. Just a reminder we have threads where members can discuss the safety of the 737 MAX; this is not one of them. This thread is for advice on how to help someone avoid the a/c and feel more comfortable booking their trip.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I believe that this was a spoken statement made in response to a question. The speaker did not have the opportunity to edit the sentence structure to ensure that it precisely and completely conveyed the policy. The 'if it's a Max', was likely due to the context of the question he was answering which was about passengers who were concerned about flying on the Max.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
First of all, don't feel sheepish for being concerned about flying this airplane. Your concerns aren't crazy.
I'm a 737 mechanic, and I'm not about to criticize you for it.
That said, if you're trying to avoid them, Delta is your only real solid option. And a 90 minute layover in SEA should be okay, assuming things are running on time, no storms, etc.
Alaska will probably only have 1-2 by then, so they'd also be a very reasonable option, given the low likelihood that it would show up on your route.
Southwest, AA, and UA however all have the MAX in significant numbers.

Do whatever makes you most comfortable, but be aware that it may cost you a little extra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.