B737MAX [Grounded as of 13 March 2019]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 19, 19, 1:24 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DenverBrian
Wiki Link
United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 10, 19, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
B737MAX [Grounded as of 13 March 2019]

Does United fly the 737MAX, or have any on order?
Old Mar 10, 19, 7:38 am

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, RC/MR/SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
Does United fly the 737MAX, or have any on order?
Yes, and yes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_fleet
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Mar 10, 19, 7:42 am
Original Poster

So according to that link the 737MAX are -9 and -10. They are not the -8. Correct?
Old Mar 10, 19, 7:55 am

So according to that link the 737MAX are -9 and -10. They are not the -8. Correct?
Correct
Old Mar 10, 19, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Platinum Elite; Hertz PC
I was going to start a thread but may as well ask the question here: does this other incident with Ethiopian give anyone here pause around flying the MAX series or think it will impact UAís large order book?
Old Mar 10, 19, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
For those of you not tuned in, I assume this is reference to the crash of ET302 today and JT610 last year, where is it the 737MAX-8 crashing.
Old Mar 10, 19, 8:06 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Anyone know why United don't mention the MAX on their seating chart page: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...t/default.aspx
Old Mar 10, 19, 8:10 am

Programs: Northwest WorldPerks, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
I was going to start a thread but may as well ask the question here: does this other incident with Ethiopian give anyone here pause around flying the MAX series or think it will impact UAís large order book?
Not really. Personally, Iím booked on one today (Air Canada Max 8), and am not particularly worried. If it turns out thereís a flaw with the MAX, you can bet Boeing will fix it. They have too much riding on the line not to.

Keep in mind the 787, while thankfully not involved in any accidents, was actually grounded for a few months because of safety concerns related to the battery, and other than some delivery delays and compensation, they havenít really suffered for it.
Old Mar 10, 19, 8:12 am

Programs: Northwest WorldPerks, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post
Anyone know why United don't mention the MAX on their seating chart page: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...t/default.aspx
Itís not specifically called out, but itís one of the tabs within the -900 seating chart page.
Old Mar 10, 19, 8:14 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi View Post

Itís not specifically called out, but itís one of the tabs within the -900 seating chart page.
Thanks. Is it separated out on reservations? That is, can you tell you are flying a MAX or does it just label it a 737-900 on the itinerary?
Old Mar 10, 19, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Yes, two within six months on a new A/C is very concerning to me which is why I asked about the United fleet. The theory is there may be some issue with the original design and placement of the engine. I am not certain if the design for the placement of the engine on the -8 differs to the -9 and -10. At this stage just thankful UA does not fly the -8.
Old Mar 10, 19, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post
Thanks. Is it separated out on reservations? That is, can you tell you are flying a MAX or does it just label it a 737-900 on the itinerary?
It shows up as 7M9 when you look at it on the App and reservations
Old Mar 10, 19, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Platinum Elite; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi View Post

Not really. Personally, Iím booked on one today (Air Canada Max 8), and am not particularly worried. If it turns out thereís a flaw with the MAX, you can bet Boeing will fix it. They have too much riding on the line not to.

Keep in mind the 787, while thankfully not involved in any accidents, was actually grounded for a few months because of safety concerns related to the battery, and other than some delivery delays and compensation, they havenít really suffered for it.
Having battery issues and grounding planes preemptively vs. two planes falling out of the sky within a few months of delivery is a huge magnitude of difference...
Old Mar 10, 19, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott G, Hilton G, SPG G
I have intentionally avoided the max since the lionair crash and will continue to do so.
Old Mar 10, 19, 9:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Yes, two within six months on a new A/C is very concerning to me which is why I asked about the United fleet. The theory is there may be some issue with the original design and placement of the engine. I am not certain if the design for the placement of the engine on the -8 differs to the -9 and -10. At this stage just thankful UA does not fly the -8.
The issue is improper management of a flight control system designed to counteract an aerodynamic consequence of the engine placement, in a narrowly-defined phase of flight, and the cause of the ET crash is hardly assured.

Itís disturbing, but I have no qualms stepping aboard a UA MAX right now.
tuolumne and TXJeepGuy like this.

Search this Thread