Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1K (and other elite levels) phone line wait times are crazy (week of Aug 7-9 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1K (and other elite levels) phone line wait times are crazy (week of Aug 7-9 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by fumje
If it doesn't recognise your phone number, it will ask you to identify by MP number. edit: I'm not sure how you'd input the MP number if the system greets you, though.
(bolding mine)
Exactly, that's what I meant.
The welcome message states: "Welcome back, narvik.", and not "Welcome back, narvik. If you're not narvik please input your MP number". There's really no options, once it recognizes the phone number, AFAIK.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
Try calling AC sometime...
They have reservations agents now? I learn something every day here.
transportprof and SFHokie like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
(bolding mine)
Exactly, that's what I meant.
The welcome message states: "Welcome back, narvik.", and not "Welcome back, narvik. If you're not narvik please input your MP number". There's really no options, once it recognizes the phone number, AFAIK.
If you change or de-register your phone number in your profile, it should stop recognising you, but I'm unsure how long it would take for that to propagate through all of their systems.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The myth of the 1K line is that there is some specialized center with dedicated agents. It does not matter which number you call. Either through number recognition or MP# entry, the system will correctly prioritize your call. If the system greets you by name, that is because it has matched to your MP# and thus your status.

As a 1K, you are second tier (behind GS), which cuts your wait time and also keeps you onshore. During massive IRROPS, you will do better than others, but there will still be wait times. If it takes you 25 minutes, someone else is waiting 2 hours.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
The myth of the 1K line is that there is some specialized center with dedicated agents. It does not matter which number you call. Either through number recognition or MP# entry, the system will correctly prioritize your call. If the system greets you by name, that is because it has matched to your MP# and thus your status.

As a 1K, you are second tier (behind GS), which cuts your wait time and also keeps you onshore. During massive IRROPS, you will do better than others, but there will still be wait times. If it takes you 25 minutes, someone else is waiting 2 hours.
The GS line has degenerated significantly in response and variability of agent of the past couple of years. The answer tone is "all of our agents are currently busy" 7 out of 10 times, normally for 3-5 minutes.Still better than for others .....but it should be, maybe GS needs trimming back too
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
Try calling AC sometime...
Try calling Air Canada without status on a normal day. Last time it took me almost an hour to reach a CSR.
SFOdelayed likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by narvik
Supposedly there haven't been dedicated 1K agents for a few years. As a 1K you just get on the top of the queue and don't get an off-shore call center.
Waiting anything more than a few minutes (or even seconds?) as a 1K means they are getting SLAMMED across the board
Spoke with the VP for customer relations a couple of months ago. He is in charge of the call centers. He confirmed the above: there are not dedicated 1K agents but calls from 1Ks are prioritized. He said this system predated his time with UA (which was just a year or two).
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
The GS line has degenerated significantly in response and variability of agent of the past couple of years. The answer tone is "all of our agents are currently busy" 7 out of 10 times, normally for 3-5 minutes.Still better than for others .....but it should be, maybe GS needs trimming back too
I typically get the "All agents are currently assisting other customers", but usually it rings immediately after and the call is answered. Sometimes it even cuts off the "busy" message. I can't recall waiting more than 15 seconds over the past couple years. And I have been stuck in some of the large scale weather events. Hard to believe GS calls are waiting 3-5 minutes. (Not doubting your reports, just strikes me as crazy).

My bigger complaint is the variability of the agents knowledge / skill. There are times when I just know they are no good, and I find an excuse to end the call before they can touch my record.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I typically get the "All agents are currently assisting other customers", but usually it rings immediately after and the call is answered. Sometimes it even cuts off the "busy" message. I can't recall waiting more than 15 seconds over the past couple years. And I have been stuck in some of the large scale weather events.
This matches my experiences. A very small number of times I've had to wait maybe a minute or two. On rare occasion, I've been routed to an overseas call center.

So I have to wonder if the occasional 1K reports of 20+ minute waits are the result of UA's system mishandling the call.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:23 pm

if a platinum's phone wait time was 93 minutes, how long would a 1K have to wait?

Within the same week, I was stranded by weather in two cities on two airlines.(AA and UA)

I was unable to rebook by logging into my UA reservation because there were no alternative flights. When I called the number on the back of my UA platinum card, the recording said that my wait time was expected to be 52 minutes. I used my other phone and called the regular UA number and it was an even longer wait because the system simply gave up and requested that I call back later.

Anyway, it took 93 minutes before a premier desk rep finally picked up. She rebooked me on the next day's flight within 3 minutes and even upgraded me from my original E+ seat to Premium Plus. She was extremely nice and told me that she hadn't go to the restroom in 3 hours because the avalanche of calls due to the weather cancellation.

I'm just wondering how long would a 1k or GS member have to wait in that situation? Would someone on those dedicated lines pick up after just two rings or something?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Lowly Gold here. Understood with all of the weather issues as of late, but several calls to the Premier desk were disconnected after a long wait. Finally got a hold of someone at around 3am local time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.