Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1K (and other elite levels) phone line wait times are crazy (week of Aug 7-9 2019)

1K (and other elite levels) phone line wait times are crazy (week of Aug 7-9 2019)

Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)

I need help from an agent with a reservation I'm trying to book since yesterday. When I called then, 1K line put me on hold for 15 minutes before I gave up and went into the office. Just now today (24 hours later) I called up and was told "Your call will be answered in approximately 20-25 minutes."

Is this the new norm? Or is the 1K phone queue really that slammed with calls?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Are you sure the system is recognizing your FFN?
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
or even the telephone number, but it was crazy on the east coast yesterday and they are trying to clear the backlog today so imagine most phone agents are quite busy.

I called the 1K line yesterday and think the wait time was 30 seconds.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Oh yes, especially since I'm greeted with "Welcome back, SFHokie..." when the phone system picks up.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by SFHokie
Oh yes, especially since I'm greeted with "Welcome back, SFHokie..." when the phone system picks up.
Guess you were unlucky with the IRROPs backlog then. I havent had more than a 5 second wait in the past few months.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
And just a few months ago it was: GS phone line wait times are crazy!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
And just a few months ago it was: GS phone line wait times are crazy!
GS is the new 1K ;-)
LimeySD likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I called the 1K line yesterday and think the wait time was 30 seconds.
Same here yesterday, if that. I got someone part way through all agents are busy spiel.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Or is the 1K phone queue really that slammed with calls?
Travel Waiver: Northeast Severe Weather (August 6, 2019 - August 8, 2019) extended
]Travel Waiver: Weather System Lekima (August 7, 2019 - August 10, 2019)
and the present multiple UA hubs across the network are having issues

but for once not ORD
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:19 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Maybe its because a lot of 1Ks are calling because of weather and stuff. That's possible? Or will we see articles about UA devaluing 1K once again because people had to wait more than 30 seconds>.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

HUCA produced a notification of 5-10 minute wait ... agent picked up after 11 minutes. Now onto a different problem as she cannot see that flights I want to book even though .bomb is showing them clear as day! (I'll save that topic for a different thread...)

Originally Posted by jackvogt
Maybe its because a lot of 1Ks are calling because of weather and stuff. That's possible? Or will we see articles about UA devaluing 1K once again because people had to wait more than 30 seconds>.
I don't know how many 1K phone agents there are, but man ... if it is because so many 1Ks are calling in ... look for the PQD requirement to go up to $20,000 / year as a way to trim down the numbers! :-p
limey1K likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 8, 2019 at 7:59 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
oh, no ... this means nothing. If anything, you are in the wrong queue. Spell out your MP number instead of typing it in ... this works for me. Since I started doing this I am back at normal hold times between 5 and 60 seconds.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Try calling AC sometime...
mzrn, MTan, artvandalay and 8 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I don't know how many 1K phone agents there are, but man ... if it is because so many 1Ks are calling in ... look for the PQD requirement to go up to $20,000 / year as a way to trim down the numbers! :-p
Supposedly there haven't been dedicated 1K agents for a few years. As a 1K you just get on the top of the queue and don't get an off-shore call center.
Waiting anything more than a few minutes (or even seconds?) as a 1K means they are getting SLAMMED across the board.

Originally Posted by cfischer
oh, no ... this means nothing. If anything, you are in the wrong queue. Spell out your MP number instead of typing it in ... this works for me.
Not sure what this means exactly. I don't get asked to input my MP number when calling. At what point are you spelling out your MP number?

Last edited by narvik; Aug 9, 2019 at 6:33 am
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
Supposedly there haven't been dedicated 1K agents for a few years. As a 1K you just get on the top of the queue and don't get an off-shore call center.
Waiting anything more than a few minutes (or even seconds?) as a 1K means they are getting SLAMMED across the board.

Not sure what this means exactly. I don't get asked to input my MP number when calling. At what point are you spelling out your MP number?
If it doesn't recognise your phone number, it will ask you to identify by MP number. edit: I'm not sure how you'd input the MP number if the system greets you, though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.