Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

if I book EWR-SFO using UA miles for travel in 15 hours, can I cancel for free?

Old Aug 7, 19, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Or do they not allow that because the reservation is booked only 15 hours before the flight?

I would normally ask an agent, but I've been on hold for almost an hour at the premier priority phone number.

thank you for your help!
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
There is no guarantee they would allow it (and they are not required to) that close in. The printed rule says the ticket must be booked at least 7 days out to qualify for the free refund/redeposit.
drewguy likes this.
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky View Post
if I book EWR-SFO using UA miles for travel in 15 hours, can I cancel for free? ...
Yes, UA is presently allowing this. (May change someday but no reports of not allowing this)

EWR is a mess and flights may be delay -- hope this isn't a backup double booking. for that would be a problem.

BTW, the you would not be eligible for the EWR travel waiver as UA now restricts waivers for new travel booked in the waiver period.
Old Aug 7, 19, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I book flights 1 hr before departure all the time, and often have to cancel up to 1 minute before departure, and itís never been a problem on UA.

(AA, on the other hand, is strict about having to book at least 2 days in advance, for the 24 hour cancelation policy to hold.)

edit: just saw this was for an award ticket, but it should still be fine to cancel for free.
Old Aug 7, 19, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Yes, UA is presently allowing this. (May change someday but no reports of not allowing this)

EWR is a mess and flights may be delay -- hope this isn't a backup double booking. for that would be a problem.
wow... how did you know that I was at Newark?

Yes, my non-UA flight out of JFK got cancelled and I'm number 11 out of 27 on the standby list for the morning flight... not very hopeful, so I want to use my UA miles to book an unrestricted(the most number of miles) award ticket confirmed for later in the afternoon. (but in case my standby on the other airline somehow clear, I want to know if i'm going to be charged $75 or more to redeposit my UA miles back. Or is it wrong for me to be doing this?

Sorry... I've been stranded here for almost 12 hours and going nuts....(hope my post makes sense... as I"m not making sense to myself anymore)
Old Aug 7, 19, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky View Post
Or is it wrong for me to be doing this?
Booking a backup option on UA for your flight on a non-UA carrier is not going to get you in trouble. Booking a backup option on the same carrier you're already flying could cause issues.

UA reserves the right to refuse to return your miles without paying a fee, but, in practice, you'd be the first reported case that we've seen.
Old Aug 7, 19, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAflyer93 View Post

edit: just saw this was for an award ticket, but it should still be fine to cancel for free.
thanks... that's why I was wondering... I've also booked with cash and cancelled within the same day and never had a problem with UA issuing a full refund. However, I've never done it with award ticket.... so I just wanted to be sure.

I've been awake for 30 hours... (12 of those hours stuck in NYC after flight cancelled)
Old Aug 7, 19, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Booking a backup option on UA for your flight on a non-UA carrier is not going to get you in trouble. Booking a backup option on the same carrier you're already flying could cause issues.

UA reserves the right to refuse to return your miles without paying a fee, but, in practice, you'd be the first reported case that we've seen.
I somehow managed to book it by paying with miles plus a $30 fee. It could have said 100,000 miles and $3000 fee and I wouldn't know... I was just tired after being stuck here for so long.

I could swear that i checked into the airport Holiday Inn.. but somehow my room key says Marriott... I know I ordered room service for dinner... but strangely, there's no room service menu in the room. It's like I'm in the twilight zone... I called the front desk to ask when the shuttle van leaves and she said that I was at the Double Tree... wait.. wut??? I have never been this tired in 20+ years... I asked for a wake-up call and set the alarms on both of my phones as well as my iPad... hope I wake up in time.
Old Aug 8, 19, 12:39 am

Programs: UA *G, AS MVP
Hope you're getting some sleep now. Others have already said it, but you won't have a problem cancelling a within 24 hours booking on UA, even on an award ticket. UA is very generous about this, and it's one thing that keeps me with the carrier.

One thing though... if you do get off the standby list on your original flight, please please cancel the UA ticket immediately. It's tempting to 'deal with it later', but with New York such a mess right now, somebody else is going to need that seat. You cancelling could be the difference between them getting home or spending another night on the floor at EWR.

If you do take the UA flight, don't forget that your original airline is obligated to give you a full cash refund for the flight they cancelled. Although call centers are busy, I would call and ask for that fairly quickly too -- that will cancel that ticket, and may prevent somebody else from sleeping on the floor at JFK.
Old Aug 8, 19, 1:46 am

I've just done this (using UA miles on a partner carrier no less) and gotten the full refund, including the close in fee and taxes, for free. Would recommend taking screenshots of the "Worry free booking, free cancellation within 24 hours" page every step of the purchase process where it pops up, just in case you have to fight for the refund later. If you have documented proof that United promised a 24hour free cancellation during the booking process, that will make getting them to honor it that much easier. Even so, the automatic cancellation and refund worked fine for me.
Old Aug 9, 19, 12:24 am

Programs: UA *G, AS MVP
So did you make it home @Vangrovsky ?
Old Aug 9, 19, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
There is no guarantee they would allow it (and they are not required to) that close in. The printed rule says the ticket must be booked at least 7 days out to qualify for the free refund/redeposit.
Not helpful. The website clearly discloses during the booking process that tickets can be cancelled within 24 hours without penalty. I've done it dozens of times.

You are correct that UA has a right to change the rule to reflect the DOT-mandated minimum (7 days), but thus far has not.
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 9, 19, 6:54 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott G, Hilton G, SPG G
Originally Posted by dordal View Post
So did you make it home @Vangrovsky ?
He doesnít remember having this conversation. Lol
chavala likes this.
Old Aug 9, 19, 2:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
... You are correct that UA has a right to change the rule to reflect the DOT-mandated minimum (7 days), but thus far has not.
Actually, UA posted policy changed to the 7-day rule about 18 months ago
24-hour flexible booking policy
Unitedís 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ...
and on the ticket receipt
Refunds Within 24 Hours
When you book and ticket a reservation through united.com, the United mobile app, the United Customer Contact Center, at our ticket counters or city ticket offices, or if you use MileagePlusģ miles to book an award ticket, we will allow you to cancel the ticketed reservation without penalty and receive a 100 percent refund of the ticket price to the original form of payment if you cancel the reservation within 24 hours of purchase and if the reservation is made one week or more prior to scheduled flight departure.
HOWEVER
There is been no reported case of UA enforcing the 7-day clause
and
During the reservation process, it refers to " Cancel for free within 24 hours of booking" without mentioning the 7-day limitation (but the hyperlink does)

So, in practice, there appears to be no such restriction -- but the policy is there (and could be enforced at anytime without warning). But let's hope UA continues it present practice
Old Aug 9, 19, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
I booked a same-day intra Europe *A partner flight on UA miles, and the agent redeposited miles back to my account. If this is not the norm, then the agent took pity on me.

For clarity, same-day as in the flight is operating hours after booking.

Search this Thread