Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines and CLEAR Partner to Make Travel Easier for MileagePlus® Members
MileagePlus members will receive free or discounted CLEAR memberships
CLEAR eyes expansion at major United airport hubs
https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

Pricing
Beginning today, CLEAR and United are offering free CLEAR membership for Global Services and Premier® 1K® members. In addition, Premier Platinum, Gold and Silver members as well as most United credit card members receive a discounted membership rate of $109 while all other MileagePlus members are eligible for a discounted offer of $119 per year. An annual CLEAR membership retails for $179. To learn more and take advantage of this pricing, customers can visit clearme.com/united and united.com/clear.
Expansion
Present UA hubs with CLEAR -- DEN, EWR, IAD, LAX, SFO, ORD, IAH

Other present locations -- DFW, SEA, LAS, SLC, SAT, AUS, MIA, BWI, FLL, BHM, JFK, LGA, CVG, PHX, BOS, CLE, ATL, SJC, MSP, DTW, MCO, DCA, MSY, SMF, BNA, STL (Not all of these allow access to UA gates)

Also available at some NBA/NHL/MLB arenas for expedited entry.

Related thread: The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Link your United Account to an Existing Clear Account: https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

An ID is scanned during initial biometric registration. An individual's document (usually a driver's license) occasionally does not scan correctly (worn/faded/scratches/code resolution/etc), so an alternate ID (eg passport) might come in handy at initial biometric registration.

I’m an existing CLEAR member with an annual subscription, can I take advantage of the United preferred pricing for CLEAR?
If your CLEAR account was created or renewed less than 60 days ago, you’ll receive a refund for the difference of what you paid. Refunds normally take 3-5 business days after you add your United MileagePlus number to your CLEAR account.
Who can become a CLEAR member?
CLEAR welcomes individuals 18 years of age and older.
In order to enroll, you must have one of the following forms of photo identification: US Driver's License, US Passport, US Passport Card, US-issued Permanent Resident Card, State Issued ID, US Military ID, or Global Entry Card.
All forms of identification must be valid, unexpired, not amended and have a photo.
CLEAR customer support phone +1 855-CLEARME (253-2763)
Monday - Friday 8am-9pm EST
Saturday-Sunday 9am-5pm EST
Print Wikipost

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eng3
That goes to my second question.
what is the minimum that is required. Is Iris only sufficient?

I did find the fingerprint reader harder to use than he.

Bottom line, doesn't hurt to try
Any of the four biometric options (I believe they're left fingers, right fingers, thumbs, iris) are sufficient.

As an avid NEXUS user, I actually prefer the iris to the fingers, but they always want me to use my fingers first.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
My BP has my middle name spelled out since it has to match my passport.
That’s an inaccurate statement. My passport has my full first and middle names. I use a short form of my middle name for my MP account (and everyday life) and, therefore, my boarding passes print out with my short form middle name only. Never had a problem and almost all of my travel is international.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Aug 8, 2019 at 3:29 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Any of the four biometric options (I believe they're left fingers, right fingers, thumbs, iris) are sufficient.

As an avid NEXUS user, I actually prefer the iris to the fingers, but they always want me to use my fingers first.
When they start to point toward the fingerprint readers I just tell them I use my eyes instead and they say ok. My fingerprints didn't really 'take' very well, and the reader has a hard time with them. I don't even bother trying anymore. The eyes work every time.

Originally Posted by FLYMSY

This might be a big problem for me. I have GE and when I come back into the U.S., 9 times out of 10 the scanner can’t read my fingerprints. I get the big X on my receipt and have to go see the CBP agent. I’ve been doing the lotion thing for years prior to landing and it really doesn’t work for me. I wonder how this would affect registering for CLEAR. Any ideas?
I have the same problem with GE (my fingerprints are practically non-existent ) so when I signed up for CLEAR a few years ago I had them register my irises and fingerprints (such as they were) but only use my eyes when I go to the CLEAR kiosks now. I don't even try using my fingerprints; I tell them I use my eyes only and they don't give me any problems about it at all.
Regarding the fingerprints on the GE kiosk (or any other one, for that matter) -- try touching your fingers to your forehead instead of using lotion. Sometimes just a little bit of oil from your skin helps.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 8, 2019 at 3:49 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by lindaiah
-- try touching your fingers to your forehead instead of using lotion. Sometimes just a little bit of oil from your skin helps.
Been there, done that. Didn’t help.

Some CBP agents have given me various tips over the years. I tried them all and none of them seem to work.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Tries to signup in SFO yesterday and was told that I had to be a US citizen or have a US SIN# to signup, total bummer for non-US residents....
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by whitethunder
Tries to signup in SFO yesterday and was told that I had to be a US citizen or have a US SIN# to signup, total bummer for non-US residents....
Who can become a CLEAR member?
CLEAR welcomes individuals 18 years of age and older.
In order to enroll, you must have one of the following forms of photo identification: US Driver's License, US Passport, US Passport Card, US-issued Permanent Resident Card, State Issued ID, US Military ID, or Global Entry Card.
All forms of identification must be valid, unexpired, not amended and have a photo.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I thought my Nexus card would be OK as I have global entry but alas it was not sufficient ...
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by whitethunder
I thought my Nexus card would be OK as I have global entry but alas it was not sufficient ...
Strictly speaking you do not have Global Entry or a GE card, but rather you can use the GE process because of having Nexus.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Strictly speaking you do not have Global Entry or a GE card, but rather you can use the GE process because of having Nexus.
I join WhiteThunder... why does this process exclude Canadians?

I'm a United 1K with Nexus... in other words, I have a biometric secure identity card, I"m known to the US government, I'm in and out ALL the time... CLEAR is a private company and not a division of the US government. I would think NEXUS should be sufficient for their needs? It's really frustrating.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boogie711
I join WhiteThunder... why does this process exclude Canadians?

I'm a United 1K with Nexus... in other words, I have a biometric secure identity card, I"m known to the US government, I'm in and out ALL the time... CLEAR is a private company and not a division of the US government. I would think NEXUS should be sufficient for their needs? It's really frustrating.
I think because CLEAR is certified by DHS DHS gets to set some of the rules. Im guessing they have an easier time verifying authenticity of US-issued documents (that also match TSA acceptable documents) Ang that NEXUS is a loophole that they haven't seen fit to close.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

Some CBP agents have given me various tips over the years. I tried them all and none of them seem to work.
+1
Three out of my last four times through GE I couldn't get the fingers to work and ended with an agent. Maybe those kiosks will have retinal scans at some point as well.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Do you have to list your middle name on the application... or just First and last name?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Do you have to list your middle name on the application... or just First and last name?
see
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
I just signed up online. The online form only asked for First Name, Last Name, E-mail address, zip code, and DOB; then to the payment page. It did not ask for Middle Name. My BP has my middle name spelled out since it has to match my passport. Since CLEAR profile has to match BP, will I have a chance to add my Middle Name to my CLEAR profile during the in-person enrollment completion at the airport?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
I used just first and last names. Then when entering the biometrics and scanning a travel document that had my middle name the system alerted a name mismatch. The Clear agent approved the mismatch as first and last names matched. Interestingly the scan of my passport mis-scanned my middle name, showing a D as an O. The driver’s license worked fine. Given that possibility of a mis-scan it’s probably advisable not to include the middle name. What if that D was mid-scanned to O using all documents? Less/minimal info may be best.

Btw I used Clear today (Friday) at DTW to sail past around 20 people lined up in the Precheck line. Then had to wait behind 5 or 6 clueless kettles as they fumbled around getting their bags onto the belt (shoes off then on, coins in pockets, belt still on, etc etc). The more clueless people with Pre means massively slower lines and a backup before the ID check. Clear certainly helps there.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:22 am

Not sure if this helps on GE machines, but on the Clear machines, it helped when I dropped my wrists and let the weight of my hand apply pressure to the sensor instead of pressing my fingers down directly. Have no idea why but it scans much more quickly for me than it did before. The move isn’t very natural and took me awhile to get it just right, but it’s been pretty consistent with Clear machines once I got it down.
boeingair likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.