Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines and CLEAR Partner to Make Travel Easier for MileagePlus® Members
MileagePlus members will receive free or discounted CLEAR memberships
CLEAR eyes expansion at major United airport hubs
https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

Pricing
Beginning today, CLEAR and United are offering free CLEAR membership for Global Services and Premier® 1K® members. In addition, Premier Platinum, Gold and Silver members as well as most United credit card members receive a discounted membership rate of $109 while all other MileagePlus members are eligible for a discounted offer of $119 per year. An annual CLEAR membership retails for $179. To learn more and take advantage of this pricing, customers can visit clearme.com/united and united.com/clear.
Expansion
Present UA hubs with CLEAR -- DEN, EWR, IAD, LAX, SFO, ORD, IAH

Other present locations -- DFW, SEA, LAS, SLC, SAT, AUS, MIA, BWI, FLL, BHM, JFK, LGA, CVG, PHX, BOS, CLE, ATL, SJC, MSP, DTW, MCO, DCA, MSY, SMF, BNA, STL (Not all of these allow access to UA gates)

Also available at some NBA/NHL/MLB arenas for expedited entry.

Related thread: The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Link your United Account to an Existing Clear Account: https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

An ID is scanned during initial biometric registration. An individual's document (usually a driver's license) occasionally does not scan correctly (worn/faded/scratches/code resolution/etc), so an alternate ID (eg passport) might come in handy at initial biometric registration.

I’m an existing CLEAR member with an annual subscription, can I take advantage of the United preferred pricing for CLEAR?
If your CLEAR account was created or renewed less than 60 days ago, you’ll receive a refund for the difference of what you paid. Refunds normally take 3-5 business days after you add your United MileagePlus number to your CLEAR account.
Who can become a CLEAR member?
CLEAR welcomes individuals 18 years of age and older.
In order to enroll, you must have one of the following forms of photo identification: US Driver's License, US Passport, US Passport Card, US-issued Permanent Resident Card, State Issued ID, US Military ID, or Global Entry Card.
All forms of identification must be valid, unexpired, not amended and have a photo.
CLEAR customer support phone +1 855-CLEARME (253-2763)
Monday - Friday 8am-9pm EST
Saturday-Sunday 9am-5pm EST
Print Wikipost

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
CLEAR members who frequently transit ORD may be happy to know that, as expected, the Chicago City Council approved the CLEAR installation proposal on September 18.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 1:00 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Kacee
I've been getting them pretty much100% of the time.
Still hand-waving wildly (I haven't tracked it ) it feels like mine used to be that way but the frequency has dropped off for me. Might have to do with whether you fill them out or not, and they think they don't need my opinion anymore
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I took the bait when the United deal came out. I had been waiting and really not willing to do any of this not wanting to actually provide my retina scan. Ah well, it’s the future.

Anyway, going through SFO, ATL, FLL the past few weeks its clearly saving me quite a bit of time each trip. Early morning departures from SFO Termain 3, late departures from ATL. Even though the Clear line CAN have 20+ ppl in it, it moves quite quickly. I would say 3-4 ppl every 60 seconds, assuming then can move their bags.. Then, it’s just up to the scanners. I added my wife last month so I don’t have to wait of course when we travel together. Frankly, for the extra $50 thats the best deal.

Can’t wait to try this at some Hertz locations coming up soon.

Overall, and actually in SFO I find the staff VERY attentive, and VERY efficient. So much so that I actually reached out to Clear before getting any survey to let them know how efficient, competent and professional/friendly their staff and my experience was. A rare gem in the regular travel experience.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by lindaiah
SO....when will we see those kiosks back at IAH B, C and E?
@lindaiah: Great question and one in which I am very interested. Just had an online chat with a CLEAR agent and they they said they don't have any information to share. Nothing mentioned on CLEAR website. Anyone have any intel on IAH Terminal C?

Last edited by BeanTownBoy; Sep 29, 2019 at 2:41 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Does SFO not have separate dedicated enrollment kiosks? In CLE there are 3 at each of the two CLEAR checkpoints that seem to be used only for clearing people through security and then there are a couple sets of (I think three each, though it may only be 2) kiosks out of the passenger flow that are used solely for enrollment -- I would have thought that at a larger/busier airport like SFO they would have used that model rather than enrolling people in the actual security lane (which seems like it would be fraught with other issues).
C pier at SFO does, so not an airport wide issue (not helpful for UA gates).
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
C pier at SFO does, so not an airport wide issue (not helpful for UA gates).
So does T2.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Just exited EWR terminal C and spotted around inactive 6 CLEAR machines, by the TSA pre-check entrance and Airtrain entrance. Hope they turn them on soon before my next flight later in October.
lincolnjkc, narvik and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Wiki says “later this summer” for IAH. Clear website shows only Terminal A location. Can’t believe it’s not available in C yet...

I guess if/when they do C, it’ll be clogged with enrollees, also.
IAH Terminal C can't come soon enough. Since it's been gone the lines back way up for UA elites and precheck. Terminal E is even worse particularly if you arrive at crack of dawn. The TSA lines are the only thing that I dislike at IAH ,,,
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Just exited EWR terminal C and spotted around inactive 6 CLEAR machines, by the TSA pre-check entrance and Airtrain entrance. Hope they turn them on soon before my next flight later in October.
From this morning:

Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: UA GS
Looks like they're expecting quite some queues for CLEAR. Where did they move the GS line entrance to?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
CLEAR saved me a fair bit of time at LAS yesterday. Was surprised at the long line on a Tuesday morning at 5.45am.

Sitting next to a fellow 1K member (upgrade courtesy of Chase CC on an award ticket) he was talking about the long line at TSA-pre and asked him why he did not apply for CLEAR. He was not aware of the benefit. I told him I learned about it on FT. He was going to enroll on Friday for his next flight.

My fingers never take for CLEAR. Thought it was a LAS thing but same thing happened in MSY. Retinas all the way for me
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
CLEAR saved me quite a bit of time at SFO (International Security) the other day too. Unfortunately, once I actually got to the security checkpoint, the machine jammed, and then they switched operators, and then I was selected for a random screening that took about 10 minutes to actually get an agent in place for... But CLEAR was great .
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by Boraxo
IAH Terminal C can't come soon enough. Since it's been gone the lines back way up for UA elites and precheck. Terminal E is even worse particularly if you arrive at crack of dawn. The TSA lines are the only thing that I dislike at IAH ,,,
Agree--that's why I almost always clear security at Terminal C and walk over to E (especially since the PreCheck hours at E are limited and from time to time they shut down early).
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Got the free Clear as 1K. Signed up online, enrolled at DCA and Clear person said my best metric was my eyes. Used at DCA and worked fine. Then tried at SFO and couldn't do my eyes or fingerprints, wound up needing Clear person to type in stuff from my Drivers License. Took longer than if I had just used PreCheck w/o Clear. No Clear at other Airports I've been at. But free is good.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Same as at IAD. The pre-check line is never long enough IME to warrant a Clear subscription.
Last year I flew internationally out of IAD. I had to wait 45 minutes in the very long TSA Pre line. They had 2 lines. I was on the right side lane, which gets the feed from CLEAR - so it just did not seem like the line would move at all. On the left line, they were letting people cut in in the middle (not CLEAR).

On a flight out of DCA yesterday morning at 5:30am - no one in the Pre-check line, but a couple in the CLEAR. So would have been better to not use CLEAR, I even mentioned it, and the CLEAR person said you can go over there (regular Pre-check) if you like.

Likely the big plus, you can get on the flight without a physical ID. "you are your ID" is the CLEAR message on the signs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.