Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines and CLEAR Partner to Make Travel Easier for MileagePlus® Members
MileagePlus members will receive free or discounted CLEAR memberships
CLEAR eyes expansion at major United airport hubs
https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

Pricing
Beginning today, CLEAR and United are offering free CLEAR membership for Global Services and Premier® 1K® members. In addition, Premier Platinum, Gold and Silver members as well as most United credit card members receive a discounted membership rate of $109 while all other MileagePlus members are eligible for a discounted offer of $119 per year. An annual CLEAR membership retails for $179. To learn more and take advantage of this pricing, customers can visit clearme.com/united and united.com/clear.
Expansion
Present UA hubs with CLEAR -- DEN, EWR, IAD, LAX, SFO, ORD, IAH

Other present locations -- DFW, SEA, LAS, SLC, SAT, AUS, MIA, BWI, FLL, BHM, JFK, LGA, CVG, PHX, BOS, CLE, ATL, SJC, MSP, DTW, MCO, DCA, MSY, SMF, BNA, STL (Not all of these allow access to UA gates)

Also available at some NBA/NHL/MLB arenas for expedited entry.

Related thread: The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Link your United Account to an Existing Clear Account: https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

An ID is scanned during initial biometric registration. An individual's document (usually a driver's license) occasionally does not scan correctly (worn/faded/scratches/code resolution/etc), so an alternate ID (eg passport) might come in handy at initial biometric registration.

I’m an existing CLEAR member with an annual subscription, can I take advantage of the United preferred pricing for CLEAR?
If your CLEAR account was created or renewed less than 60 days ago, you’ll receive a refund for the difference of what you paid. Refunds normally take 3-5 business days after you add your United MileagePlus number to your CLEAR account.
Who can become a CLEAR member?
CLEAR welcomes individuals 18 years of age and older.
In order to enroll, you must have one of the following forms of photo identification: US Driver's License, US Passport, US Passport Card, US-issued Permanent Resident Card, State Issued ID, US Military ID, or Global Entry Card.
All forms of identification must be valid, unexpired, not amended and have a photo.
CLEAR customer support phone +1 855-CLEARME (253-2763)
Monday - Friday 8am-9pm EST
Saturday-Sunday 9am-5pm EST
Print Wikipost

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
1984...we can all be tracked

Animal Farm - some pigs are more equal than others...

George Orwell
Actually, it’s (paraphrasing) “Some animals are more equal than others”...

Most of us are peering through the farmhouse windows watching the GSs standing on two feet and partying.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:37 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Completing enrollment at IAD was simple. They have dedicated enrollment stations on the way to the checkpoint; all it took was fingerprints + a scan of my DL. The CLEAR checkpoint is just past Pre. Literally no one in the CLEAR line when I stopped by, and thus I bypassed the whole Pre ID check line (you do then funnel right into the x-ray and WTMD like Pre, though, so if they're really backed up, all you bypass is the ID line).
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:56 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
True, but since this would only happen when I'm checking luggage, I'd have only a small carry-on bag. Taking off my shoes Is still quicker than heading back to Pre-check.
Assuming of course that CLEAR enables one to get directly to the screening line.
(Responding to post 312).

Last edited by Zip; Aug 31, 2019 at 2:59 pm Reason: add reference
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Are 1k family members also free?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Are 1k family members also free?
If they are also 1K, yes. Otherwise, no. Spouse is $50, children under 18 are free.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
If they are also 1K, yes. Otherwise, no. Spouse is $50, children under 18 are free.
thanks for the detailed response!
Old Sep 28, 2019, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just came through SFO G Terminal (domestic departure from Gate 97). All three Clear terminals were being used for enrollment. There were only two Clear staff and they were moving glacially slowly. I waited about five minutes before a staff member took me through using my DL, rather than the biometric identification. I suggested that they should save at least one terminal for use by actual departing passengers, but this concept was apparently beyond staff's comprehension.

The only reason I waited to use Clear (rather than just bailing for the Pre line) was so I would receive an email survey afterwards, which staff successfully avoided by not processing me through the Clear system. So I contacted Clear directly with my complaint.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Wiki says “later this summer” for IAH. Clear website shows only Terminal A location. Can’t believe it’s not available in C yet...

I guess if/when they do C, it’ll be clogged with enrollees, also.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I guess if/when they do C, it’ll be clogged with enrollees, also.
At many stations, they have separate terminals for enrollment. G Terminal SFO is not one of them. It's often understaffed, too, possibly because there are lengthy periods during the day with virtually no traffic.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
The only reason I waited to use Clear (rather than just bailing for the Pre line) was so I would receive an email survey afterwards, which staff successfully avoided by not processing me through the Clear system. So I contacted Clear directly with my complaint.
Interesting -- though I've only used CLEAR maybe a dozen times I've never received a survey... is this something you have to opt into?

I've only had one experience at SFO and it was dead quiet when I went through (as in I practically had to wake up the UA agent at the counter to check my bag) . Does SFO not have separate dedicated enrollment kiosks? In CLE there are 3 at each of the two CLEAR checkpoints that seem to be used only for clearing people through security and then there are a couple sets of (I think three each, though it may only be 2) kiosks out of the passenger flow that are used solely for enrollment -- I would have thought that at a larger/busier airport like SFO they would have used that model rather than enrolling people in the actual security lane (which seems like it would be fraught with other issues).

But CLE also seems perpetually overstaffed in the CLEAR department -- I wonder if they're doing something boneheaded like staffing all of the airports identically.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
At many stations, they have separate terminals for enrollment. G Terminal SFO is not one of them. ...
Did CLEAR move the terminal they had against the outside sidewalk wall in G? Across from the CLEAR entrance? Thinking of T3. not international G

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 30, 2019 at 11:40 am Reason: wrong term
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I enrolled at IAH last August and used CLEAR for the first time this past Tuesday morning at FLL. Security at FLL is often packed but it was nearly empty when I was there so CLEAR didn't much matter. However, the next morning at LAX, I used CLEAR at T4 (from where I would walk to the Star Alliance Lounge at Tom Bradley) and it was great. There was a huge line at security and two agents staffing the otherwise empty CLEAR lane. I was done with security in a few minutes.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I used CLEAR for the first time at Hertz at ATL three weeks ago and it was great. Skipped a line of about 20-30 cars and drove right off. I will say it was a little weird using the machine to scan your eye when you drive up to it...but saved me about 15-30 minutes.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 2:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Interesting -- though I've only used CLEAR maybe a dozen times I've never received a survey... is this something you have to opt into?
While you can definitely opt out of them: -- "You received this email because you provided your email address to clearme. If you would like to opt out from receiving future surveys, please click here." -- I don't remember ever opting in to them, nor do I see any way to do so on their web site.

If I had to guess, hand-waving wildly I would say I get a survey 1 in every N times where N is somewhere between 3 and 7. Check your CLEAR profile and/or your spam folder? Recent ones have come with a From: address of [email protected]
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
If I had to guess, hand-waving wildly I would say I get a survey 1 in every N times where N is somewhere between 3 and 7.
I've been getting them pretty much100% of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.